US Open 2024

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Scary to think so many posts on this forum and many others are just about McIlroy, and here's me adding to them, and we've got more to look forward to in five weeks time. My prediction is McIlroy will win the Open, all his fan boys will have a little orgasm and say yah boo we told you so, and everyone else will say he should have won more majors anyway.

Rory gets talked about more than most because he is Europeans main guy , he is the European/UK golfer currently playing with more majors and wins than anyone else

It’s clear you aren’t a fan of him - but there will be many who are fans of him and will back and will want him to do well and even some of them will just be because he is European and some because of his talent

Maybe it’s because he is so successful that some look to knock him down

It was the same when

Faldo and Seve were at the top

Then Woods was constantly bashed

Then Spieth , Thomas , Rahm

Add in any successful golfer and there will always be a section who will look to knock them down

Maybe it’s down to jealously 🤷‍♂️

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Judging by comments of people I meet and play golf with, the toxicity is and remains the preserve of a relatively small number, but the effect is amplified by social media, where the majority don't tread or don't wish to engage in mudslinging with the people who are toxic.

It’s relentless on social media - some of the stuff being posted is disgraceful, was very bad when Grayson Murray sadly passed away - the level of bile posted was awful , a lot of it has started with the LIV/PGAT divide and the trolls/bots/shills or whatever just constantly adding fuel to the fire

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
That's the problem isn't it - if he's ever in that position again, narrow lead coming down the stretch, he's now added the complexity of the post round media duties (win/or lose) into the mental equation while he's trying to close out the round.
Really?????

You honestly believe standing over a tee shot on the 72nd hole with a chance to win he'll be thinking about that. You are talking drivel

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Judging by comments of people I meet and play golf with, the toxicity is and remains the preserve of a relatively small number, but the effect is amplified by social media, where the majority don't tread or don't wish to engage in mudslinging with the people who are toxic.
I have always had players I liked and disliked but this was in the days before social media and so there certainly wasn't the level of animosity and my dislike was never that vitriolic. It is a constant stream these days and some players seem to attract the idiots far more than others. I will always discuss why I don't like a player (usually for a random reason like Corey Pavin's moustache lol) but even today I won't take it to the levels of some out there

AussieKB

Visit site
Just watched the replay again....and that putt Rory missed on the 18th I thought he was aiming too far left......and he missed it on the low side.....so I guess I would have missed the hole completely.

And I was not under any pressure, think us keyboard warriors should step back a bit.....and I am not a big Rory fan, but love his golf but not his comments re LIV/PGA.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Just watched the replay again....and that putt Rory missed on the 18th I thought he was aiming too far left......and he missed it on the low side.....so I guess I would have missed the hole completely.

And I was not under any pressure, think us keyboard warriors should step back a bit.....and I am not a big Rory fan, but love his golf but not his comments re LIV/PGA.
His putt on 18 was a difficult putt, even without the context of what it was for.

The first missed put was the one he’ll have nightmares about. That one was fairly straightforward.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site

One point which is nothing to do with Rory or the US open really , is that reading putts on TV is I think virtually impossible . Reading putts when present is difficult , most putts at pro level are missed because of missed reads rather than anything else. But slopes on a 2d screen are virtually impossible to assess and distances not that easy. Every golf event that I have attended and seen on TV the one thing that stands out is how poor TV is at representing elevation change and slope.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Rory gets talked about more than most because he is Europeans main guy , he is the European/UK golfer currently playing with more majors and wins than anyone else

It’s clear you aren’t a fan of him - but there will be many who are fans of him and will back and will want him to do well and even some of them will just be because he is European and some because of his talent

Maybe it’s because he is so successful that some look to knock him down

It was the same when

Faldo and Seve were at the top

Then Woods was constantly bashed

Then Spieth , Thomas , Rahm

Add in any successful golfer and there will always be a section who will look to knock them down

Maybe it’s down to jealously 🤷‍♂️
Fan, no, but not strictly anti either. I used to like bouncy young McIlroy with his mojo but then the sulks and the slumped shoulders came in and I though you're a pampered multi-millionaire, what right have you to be miserable. For me the most impressive thing about him is that he has largely maintained form over the years. No real slump like Spieth, Fowler and currently Thomas. Trouble is four times a year for a number of years now we dredge up the same arguments about Rory's performance at the majors and it gets a bit boring. Lazy journalism doesn't help. Golf Monthly et al are guaranteed a clickbait response if they put Rory (and LIV) in the title. If I pop on to Facebook the GM feed can post Rory topics up to three times a day and I'm thinking please give us a break and talk about someone else for a change.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Fan, no, but not strictly anti either. I used to like bouncy young McIlroy with his mojo but then the sulks and the slumped shoulders came in and I though you're a pampered multi-millionaire, what right have you to be miserable. For me the most impressive thing about him is that he has largely maintained form over the years. No real slump like Spieth, Fowler and currently Thomas. Trouble is four times a year for a number of years now we dredge up the same arguments about Rory's performance at the majors and it gets a bit boring. Lazy journalism doesn't help. Golf Monthly et al are guaranteed a clickbait response if they put Rory (and LIV) in the title. If I pop on to Facebook the GM feed can post Rory topics up to three times a day and I'm thinking please give us a break and talk about someone else for a change.

It’s the aim to try and fill the “woods gap”

He dominated the sport and the media pages for a decade and still does at times now

Rory is the same - he is the one tours put at the forefront for them to market etc

It’s the same sort of thing you see around India where you see Kohli everywhere

The media love a focal point for sport and it’s very easily down in a sport like golf

It’s one of the reasons why Woods was constantly on the coverage even when not playing well - he moved the needle and he made people watch , same with Rory

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
It's nothing personal with me, I was wanting Rory to win. If I restricted my criticism to only things I was good at it would be a short list. Probably only able to criticise people sitting at home in their underpants criticizing people online.

Springveldt

Visit site
I definitely wanted McIlroy to win. But, I actually really like Bryson as well, as he had added something different to golf over last 5 or so years.

The problem is, I couldn't take any satisfaction in Bryson winning. Not because of the disappointment for McIlroy, but the fact I knew a significant amount of people after would focus their efforts in bashing McIlroy rather than praising Bryson.

Many golf fans just seem so ridiculously toxic these days. Surely the same level of toxicity wasn't seen 10, 20, 30 years ago?

Maybe it is just social media, maybe the LIV divide or maybe golf fans are just generally different these days.

It be so much nicer if everyone could give both golfers huge praise, for giving us a fantastic end to the US Open. McIlroy may have faltered at end, but he had been fantastic to even get himself in that position.
I was in the same boat, wanted Rory to win but I like Bryson as well.

It's definitely social media that has caused a lot if not most of the toxicity, now every single person on the planet with a phone in their hand can tell anyone else what they are thinking. It's a scourge at this point, I mostly avoid it. I just think back to my school days and remember how many kids there were that were not the brightest but very loud, they make up the majority of social media.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It’s the aim to try and fill the “woods gap”

He dominated the sport and the media pages for a decade and still does at times now

Rory is the same - he is the one tours put at the forefront for them to market etc

It’s the same sort of thing you see around India where you see Kohli everywhere

The media love a focal point for sport and it’s very easily down in a sport like golf

It’s one of the reasons why Woods was constantly on the coverage even when not playing well - he moved the needle and he made people watch , same with Rory
But the game has moved on from the Woods era and I would say Scheffler is now the big media box office and filling that gap rather than McIlroy. One has one several majors recently and one hasn't. I know McIlroy will get media attention but I think Scottie is the biggest draw at a major at this moment

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
But the game has moved on from the Woods era and I would say Scheffler is now the big media box office and filling that gap rather than McIlroy. One has one several majors recently and one hasn't. I know McIlroy will get media attention but I think Scottie is the biggest draw at a major at this moment
I would wager a reasonable sum of money that the biggest gallery on the Thursday at the Open will be for Bryson, unless his tee time for tv makes it a poor for watching live at the event.

I'm going on the Friday , I doubt we will be following a group round but certainly will be positioning myself to see some of his group.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would wager a reasonable sum of money that the biggest gallery on the Thursday at the Open will be for Bryson, unless his tee time for tv makes it a poor for watching live at the event.

I'm going on the Friday , I doubt we will be following a group round but certainly will be positioning myself to see some of his group.
I think you are right based on the back of last weekend but I think at the moment it is Scheffler that has moved the needle in the last few years

PaulMdj

Visit site
It really hasn’t though, last thurs/fri was all about Tiger on the TV coverage, galleries following him were massive. Coverage changed once he missed the cut.

I don’t think we’ll truly know who’ll replace him until he retires.

PaulMdj

Visit site

Or maybe Tiger as he’s confirmed he’s playing and it could be his last one.🤷‍♂️

The ideal 3 ball could be Tiger, Rory & BDC😬

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm not sure. Even when McIlroy is in bad form and not winning things, he seems to get huge support both sides of the pond. The Americans seem to love him.

Scheffler is definitely getting lots of attention because his golf has been unbelievable. Bryson will also get a lot of attention because he does have much more of a social media presence, he just won a Major and he hits it miles which many fans love. Although, a few weeks, let alone a month or two, of poorer results and not really featuring at top of leaderboard, I suspect the attention on them starts to fall quite rapidly.

If this forum is anything to go by, over the last year or 2, I suspect McIlroy still generates the vast majority of discussion in relation to his golf. Much more than we discuss the golf of Scheffler and Bryson (and we discuss Scheffler a lot lately, quite rightly). Is that the same with a US audience, not sure? But when it comes to The Open, I'd be surprised if McIlroy wasn't the biggest draw in terms of fans following him and coverage by the broadcasters (at least until the tournament takes shape). If anything, people will want to see his reaction after the pain of his last Major. I guess they'll see McIlroy, Woods, Bryson and Scheffler as the 4 biggest names, and so 2 will be in one half of the draw, the other 2 in the other half.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Really?????

You honestly believe standing over a tee shot on the 72nd hole with a chance to win he'll be thinking about that. You are talking drivel
I dont know, you don’t know either. The only person that truly does is Rory Mcilroy himself.

I’d imagine his head is full of thoughts, and he’ll probably be feeling the cumulative pressure of not winning a major for 10 years, and his actions across that time span will be part of that pressure.

Is that drivel, or is it a fair assessment of opinion?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I suspect he doesn’t care one single bit about “post round media” duties when he is trying to win a major

It’s prob the last thing he is bothered

The last part of the post is your standard anti PGAT drivel

So again, it's drivel to suggest that the financial backers of the Travellers, the fans in attendance, the tv companies, the fans watching on tv the event organisers will be dissapointed that Rory won't be there?
It's drivel to suggest that having a signature event the week after a major might cause issues (as it has - so can't really be 'drivel' can it) ?

It's worthwhile discussion is what it is, but it seems some of you can't handle my opinions which are in the main, pretty balanced.

Last edited:

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
So again, it's drivel to suggest that the financial backers of the Travellers, the fans in attendance, the tv companies, the fans watching on tv the event organisers will be dissapointed that Rory won't be there?
It's drivel to suggest that having a signature event the week after a major might cause issues (as it has - so can't really be 'drivel' can it) ?

It's worthwhile discussion is what it is, but it seems some of you can't handle my opinions which are in the main, pretty balanced.

The thread is about the US Open it’s not a thread for you to continue any anti PGAT

There is a thread for that already