US Open 2024

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I would have thought that it was part of a player's contract with the PGA to conduct interviews with the media before and after the event.
I am shocked at the manner of Rory's departure, he should have at least shook Bryson's hand, and conducted a short interview. If I was running the PGA, I would fine him for that......how much prize money did he receive.......$2million? ......well I would be holding that back until he apologised.

Fair enough, let's get everybody else that Bryson beat lined up by the green, make them shake his hand one by one, and then hand them a cheque as they walk past the new king.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
He's becoming a fan favourite because his PR team are telling him how to act.
All he's done is change the media perception of him. He always seemed like a pretty solid guy to me. But the media at the time decided we were supposed to hate him. Remember when he had that spat with Koepka, at the time the media sort of spun it that Bryson was the bad guy and Koepka was 'cool', but I think in the years since then we've all realised that actually Koepka is a bit of a dick.

I'd say you're half right about the PR team, because he's definitely worked hard in that area, but it's more about presenting him in the best light rather than completely changing who he is as a person.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
The same people who kick off when a high handicapper beats them by a few points in the monthly stableford expect Rory to hang around when he's just blown up in a major and give the winner a hand....shake.
The fact you think that it is acceptable to not do that, i think you are in the wrong sport m8, very embarassing, grow a spine and acknowledge your victor, it's not how you win it's how you lose.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
The fact you think that it is acceptable to not do that, i think you are in the wrong sport m8, very embarassing, grow a spine and acknowledge your victor, it's not how you win it's how you lose.

So how many should wait around and acknowledge the winner ?

How long should he wait - BDC was going through his celebrations , should Rory have walked back out onto the course on the 18th through the crowds to shake his hand ?

Surely when it comes to golf it’s about shaking hands and respecting your playing partners - there is no protocol or etiquette that required Rory to stay and wait for BDC to go through all his celebrations and presentations to then shake his hand ?

It’s not something others do unless it’s a mate and they wait around like Rory did for Lowry a few years back

This is all being blown way out of proportion to enable to kick Rory when he is down and it’s a sad state where some are more focused on that as opposed to the stunning bunker shot from BDC to win it

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would have thought that it was part of a player's contract with the PGA to conduct interviews with the media before and after the event.
I am shocked at the manner of Rory's departure, he should have at least shook Bryson's hand, and conducted a short interview. If I was running the PGA, I would fine him for that......how much prize money did he receive.......$2million? ......well I would be holding that back until he apologised.
The US Open is nothing to do with the PGA.
It is an Open event run by the USGA.
As far as I'm aware there are no contracts with players.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I can't believe people are trying to paint BDC's projection of himself as some sort of PR exercise - he's the same in every tournament, interview, vlog - whether it's on his channel or another.

He was even the same when he was 14...

D-S

Visit site
I saw him when he was on the US team at the Walker Cup at Lytham, he was chatty and engaging with the GB&I team and all the spectators. Came across really well.
I was quite disappointed when he went a bit weird and unlikeable and I thought my initial impression of him was wrong, I’m glad now that he is that same kid we saw at Lytham.

hambugerpete

Visit site
I think Rory is awesome ,but last night was 100% a bottle job, choke, meltdown or whatever you want to call it. He may go on to win another but that will have hurt a lot.