US Open 2024

Swango1980

Visit site
I think Rory is awesome ,but last night was 100% a bottle job, choke, meltdown or whatever you want to call it. He may go on to win another but that will have hurt a lot.
Agreed. He was looking good until he over hit that Par 3. Commentator said "8 iron for Rory", but caption said he was hitting 7 iron. I remember thinking "please don't hit it long McIlroy, you are in a strong position". But, he did. I think he knew it was a massive unforced error in club selection, and after that he looked wrecked.

He gets on contention a lot, but he just seems to make so many mistakes in Majors. This one will hurt as he got do close the the end

TigerTime

Visit site
Nice message from Lowry too.

A lot of nasty comments online over the last day or so. People are quick to forget what happened only a few short weeks ago too.

We are all humans at the end of the day and yet despite the obvious skill gap between the elite of the game and average amateurs like myself the battle inbetween our ears is the same for us all.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

A lot of nasty comments online over the last day or so. People are quick to forget what happened only a few short weeks ago too.

We are all humans at the end of the day and yet despite the obvious skill gap between the elite of the game and average amateurs like myself the battle inbetween our ears is the same for us all.
👏👏

Far too many are too quick to throw disparaging comments towards him when he doesn’t win

Swango1980

Visit site

Very much agree. Very easy to sit at home in your pants, casting judgement on the acts of others and tearing their character apart. I bet the same people were, only a few weeks ago, saying more support is needed for the mental health of golfers after a player shockingly ended his own life.

Some people are just obsessed with McIlroy, wanting to slate him any chance they get. Is it any wonder he wants to run away after a horrible defeat like that? He won't feel like he had let himself down, but all his friends and fans down. Whilst giving ammunition to his haters again. For an amateur golfer to compare that to losing their club champs, and shaking hands with winner after, is laughable

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Very much agree. Very easy to sit at home in your pants, casting judgement on the acts of others and tearing their character apart. I bet the same people were, only a few weeks ago, saying more support is needed for the mental health of golfers after a player shockingly ended his own life.

Some people are just obsessed with McIlroy, wanting to slate him any chance they get. Is it any wonder he wants to run away after a horrible defeat like that? He won't feel like he had let himself down, but all his friends and fans down. Whilst giving ammunition to his haters again. For an amateur golfer to compare that to losing their club champs, and shaking hands with winner after, is laughable

Well said. McIlroy takes some fierce stick for the occasional blow up or following a stellar round with a poor round. I wonder how many here haven’t done the same? How many have been coasting in, all smiles, and the wheels have fell off? Or hacked it round for 12 holes then blitzed the last 6?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I am certain that BDC wasn’t in the slightest bit bothered if it is the case that Rory didn’t manage to shake his hand - indeed I am certain that Bryson fully understood why, and so did not feel any upset or now hold any resentments towards him.

i was very disappointed for (not with) Rory and really felt for him…and at the same time was more pleased for BDC than I probably would have been a year ago. He is a guy doing it his own way having found a way that usually works pretty well for himself. He does not give up on it when his way fails, but has faith in it and his coaches to persevere. I can admire that absolutely.

I don’t give a monkeys about LIV and the LIV debate…that’s something I just haven’t engaged in whatsoever as it is clearly divisive and I don’t need to get involved in divisive and, what is too often, angry debate…what’s that about…and why should I be bothered. Well I don’t have to be - and don’t want to be - so I’m not.

BDC is an individual and brilliant golfer who seems to have a rather engaging personality…and that’s more than fine with me.

So very well done Bryson, and chin up and better luck next time Rory - you are still a great champion and not diminished whatsoever by the events of late Sunday.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Good that Rory put the statement out and I am surmising (and could be wrong) that people in his team have suggested rather than play this week as planned that he needs this break. I think it is the right thing for him and very sensible with the Open coming up

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
You have to feel for him.

I just hope this isn't going to effect him next time he gets in a position to win a major, which will happen.

That's the problem isn't it - if he's ever in that position again, narrow lead coming down the stretch, he's now added the complexity of the post round media duties (win/or lose) into the mental equation while he's trying to close out the round.

It must be frustrating for him because he's has one hand on the trophy at both The Open in 2022, and at the weekend. If he wants to win more majors then he needs to be working on keeping a clear mind, and taking decisions, sometimes tough, that enable him to do that more easily.

Him WD'ing from a signature event (again - understandable) also adds to that - although you can argue the PGAT should take into account the scheduling and give players a gap between majors for these scenarios where the either take a hurting defeat, or indeed win.
The Travellers will be without the player with the most star power on the tour - and I'm sure there'll be a few disgruntled suits at the tour, tv companies, and sposnsors boardrooms.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Scary to think so many posts on this forum and many others are just about McIlroy, and here's me adding to them, and we've got more to look forward to in five weeks time. My prediction is McIlroy will win the Open, all his fan boys will have a little orgasm and say yah boo we told you so, and everyone else will say he should have won more majors anyway.

Swango1980

Visit site
I definitely wanted McIlroy to win. But, I actually really like Bryson as well, as he had added something different to golf over last 5 or so years.

The problem is, I couldn't take any satisfaction in Bryson winning. Not because of the disappointment for McIlroy, but the fact I knew a significant amount of people after would focus their efforts in bashing McIlroy rather than praising Bryson.

Many golf fans just seem so ridiculously toxic these days. Surely the same level of toxicity wasn't seen 10, 20, 30 years ago?

Maybe it is just social media, maybe the LIV divide or maybe golf fans are just generally different these days.

It be so much nicer if everyone could give both golfers huge praise, for giving us a fantastic end to the US Open. McIlroy may have faltered at end, but he had been fantastic to even get himself in that position.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
That's the problem isn't it - if he's ever in that position again, narrow lead coming down the stretch, he's now added the complexity of the post round media duties (win/or lose) into the mental equation while he's trying to close out the round.

It must be frustrating for him because he's has one hand on the trophy at both The Open in 2022, and at the weekend. If he wants to win more majors then he needs to be working on keeping a clear mind, and taking decisions, sometimes tough, that enable him to do that more easily.

Him WD'ing from a signature event (again - understandable) also adds to that - although you can argue the PGAT should take into account the scheduling and give players a gap between majors for these scenarios where the either take a hurting defeat, or indeed win.
The Travellers will be without the player with the most star power on the tour - and I'm sure there'll be a few disgruntled suits at the tour, tv companies, and sposnsors boardrooms.
Surely even your LIV brain can understand he simply needs a mental break irrespective of the effect his withdrawal will have on the sponsors, TV figures or the tour. You only have to look at Grayson Murray to realise what might look ok on the surface is only masking a world of pain

Visit site

You’re absolutely relentless aren’t you. Like give it a rest, you’re incredibly boring. At least the LIV shills on social media get paid for their efforts.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
He's becoming a fan favourite because his PR team are telling him how to act.
I just think we are seeing the real BDC. I have followed him for a long time on YouTube and he comes across as a really cool guy to be around and someone that loves his golf. He does not need to do the YouTube channel, he can make more money in one event than he can from doing YouTube in a year. Going out creating a lot of content at times whilst also being a tour pro is a commitment, just listen to people like Rick Shiels who has said about how mow long it takes to make just one video.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Many golf fans just seem so ridiculously toxic these days. Surely the same level of toxicity wasn't seen 10, 20, 30 years ago?
Judging by comments of people I meet and play golf with, the toxicity is and remains the preserve of a relatively small number, but the effect is amplified by social media, where the majority don't tread or don't wish to engage in mudslinging with the people who are toxic.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am certain that BDC wasn’t in the slightest bit bothered if it is the case that Rory didn’t manage to shake his hand - indeed I am certain that Bryson fully understood why, and so did not feel any upset or now hold any resentments towards him.

i was very disappointed for (not with) Rory and really felt for him…and at the same time was more pleased for BDC than I probably would have been a year ago. He is a guy doing it his own way having found a way that usually works pretty well for himself. He does not give up on it when his way fails, but has faith in it and his coaches to persevere. I can admire that absolutely.

I don’t give a monkeys about LIV and the LIV debate…that’s something I just haven’t engaged in whatsoever as it is clearly divisive and I don’t need to get involved in divisive and what is, too often, angry debate…what’s that about…and why should I be bothered. We’ll I don’t have to be - and don’t want to be - so I’m not.

BDC is an individual and brilliant golfer who seems to have a rather engaging personality…and that’s more than fine with me.

So very well done Bryson, and chin up and better luck next time Rory - you are still a great champion and not diminished whatsoever by the events of late Sunday.

Bravo 👏

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
You’re absolutely relentless aren’t you. Like give it a rest, you’re incredibly boring. At least the LIV shills on social media get paid for their efforts.

Mate, I’m just discussing the implications for Rory going forwards.
I’ve been totally balanced about his decision throughout, so quit with all the ‘relentless’ nonsense.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I definitely wanted McIlroy to win. But, I actually really like Bryson as well, as he had added something different to golf over last 5 or so years.

The problem is, I couldn't take any satisfaction in Bryson winning. Not because of the disappointment for McIlroy, but the fact I knew a significant amount of people after would focus their efforts in bashing McIlroy rather than praising Bryson.

Maybe it is just social media, maybe the LIV divide or maybe golf fans are just generally different these days.

It be so much nicer if everyone could give both golfers huge praise, for giving us a fantastic end to the US Open. McIlroy may have faltered at end, but he had been fantastic to even get himself in that position.
Do keep in mind though that anything we say on here doesn't matter at all. I doubt Rory is a secret member reading all of our comments, and most of us here aren't Twitter trolls attacking him directly, so we're just giving opinions on it. You don't need to take pleasure in it, but the fact remains that he was two shots clear with not many holes left, and it was shocking to see him miss those short putts and hand the trophy back to Bryson. Comforting to us hackers as well! Bryson played great for three days, he was pretty ropey on day four, but that bunker shot was absolutely world class, one of the all-time best major-winning shots to take it without the need of a play-off.

Yes in the era of social media you're always going to get trolls attacking every effort you make if you're a famous sportsperson or celebrity. I'm sure Bryson has had hate messages as well from people telling him they still hate him and whatnot. Anonymity brings out the worst in the worst of people.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

I suspect he doesn’t care one single bit about “post round media” duties when he is trying to win a major

It’s prob the last thing he is bothered

The last part of the post is your standard anti PGAT drivel