US Open 2023

Springveldt

Visit site
I heard more back and forth between player and caddy with Clarke in the first 3 holes than I ever have with rory and Harry.

Either they don't show it on tv or there is very little discussion going on.

Really is odd to see or not see in this case.
The conversations between Clark and his caddy was a real eye opener. Most of the time it was the caddy saying to him "Finish it on [a certain point] we are good" or when reading putts pointing to the exact place on the ground where Clark should be aiming, then getting behind him to make sure he was lined up on it. You never see or hear anything like that between Rory and Harry. Maybe Rory doesn't want a relationship like that but at the same time, maybe it's something he needs. Just have someone say to him "hit it here" might free him up a bit.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
The conversations between Clark and his caddy was a real eye opener. Most of the time it was the caddy saying to him "Finish it on [a certain point] we are good" or when reading putts pointing to the exact place on the ground where Clark should be aiming, then getting behind him to make sure he was lined up on it. You never see or hear anything like that between Rory and Harry. Maybe Rory doesn't want a relationship like that but at the same time, maybe it's something he needs. Just have someone say to him "hit it here" might free him up a bit.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Harry is rated as a caddy and would easily get a job on someone else's bag should he and Rory ever part ways.

My tuppence is that I think Rory has shown over the years that he is pretty headstrong and opinionated - with that in mind he might actually struggle with a caddy that is telling him what to do. If Rory feels differently on any shot then, even if he hits what he wanted to hit anyway he will always have that niggle of doubt in his head whilst stood over the ball. Which in a game as mental as golf could be a disaster for him.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When he split with JP, Rory said that he found it too easy to blame the caddie for everything, which made him lazy. He feels that he's more engaged and accountable when he's doing most of the yardages, green reading etc himself. Now whether that's actually working or not is certainly open to debate but it's at least sound reasoning.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
When he split with JP, Rory said that he found it too easy to blame the caddie for everything, which made him lazy. He feels that he's more engaged and accountable when he's doing most of the yardages, green reading etc himself. Now whether that's actually working or not is certainly open to debate but it's at least sound reasoning.
He’s currently the 3rd ranked player in the world. Had a chance of winning his last 3 events. Comfortably beat number 1 and 2 at the US Open.

On another day, a couple of putts drop and he wins. Or Clark’s drive on 18 leaves the planet as it should of. And he wins.

Keep knocking on the door and it will open.

Which is not bad for someone who is taking the responsibility for his golf. He has said he doesn’t want to be the person he was in 2014. He looks entirely comfortable in his own skin.

I can’t remember which podcast I was listening to. But the said Rory has pretty bad vision. I would like to see him try aim point.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
He’s currently the 3rd ranked player in the world. Had a chance of winning his last 3 events. Comfortably beat number 1 and 2 at the US Open.

On another day, a couple of putts drop and he wins. Or Clark’s drive on 18 leaves the planet as it should of. And he wins.

Keep knocking on the door and it will open.
Yeah, I'm certainly on the side of the argument that thinks Rory doesn't need to change much on the course itself, and certainly not his caddie. It's amazing that he's so competitive in almost every major over the last 2-3 years, none of the other top guys have been doing that.

When he wins one you could see him adding another three or four.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Rory's (more than) fine, the fact he can't reach all his own aspirations or live up to hype of his fans is neither here nor there, it doesn't change how good a player he is

One of the best players of his generation

Swango1980

Visit site
No doubt he feels it is the right decision, hence why he has made it. However, I guess we all make decisions, and we are not always right. Or it may be right in some ways, but not others.

He certainly hasn't won the Majors with Harry, like he did with JP. Hence why it is always a topic of conversation.

I guess if you asked a kid to pick their teacher, they will often take the comfortable choice. However, sometimes the teachers that make you feel uncomfortable, and constantly question you, are the ones that may actually be better for you.

When Bones became available, I'd have been interested to see him partnering up with McIlroy.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never has the age old saying been truer, "Drive for show, putt for dough". Rory was by far the best driver throughout the US Open. Had he putted better he could have been 15 or 16 under easily.
I couldn't care less if I'm called a Rory lover, to me he's the most exciting and the most frustrating player to watch. If he's not playing I usually don't bother watching.
Well played Wyndham Clark for hanging in there, a great win for him.

sjw

Visit site
Never has the age old saying been truer, "Drive for show, putt for dough". Rory was by far the best driver throughout the US Open. Had he putted better he could have been 15 or 16 under easily.
I couldn't care less if I'm called a Rory lover, to me he's the most exciting and the most frustrating player to watch. If he's not playing I usually don't bother watching.
Drive for show, get your approach shots closer for dough ;)

Springveldt

Visit site
For the final round, it wasn't really putt for dough, it was "putt slightly better than my closest competitor" as Rory was -1.98 putting on the day while Clark was -0.63 so both lost shots to the field on the day. Rory was easily the best tee to green of the late starters, but his putting was so horrific it cost him. If he putted just average he would have won.

Rory was ranked #57 out of 65 putting on the day, Clark was ranked #37.

D

Deleted member 15344

Think that’s exactly where I am

Not sure why he gets the stick he does from some

He is a wonderful golfer to watch , he is exciting around the golf course , produces magic and isn’t arrogant about it - he clearly cares about the sport. I’ll back every time and he will imo get over the hurdle again

Some just look to want him to not win so they can post about how he has “bottled it or failed” again

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Think that’s exactly where I am

Not sure why he gets the stick he does from some

He is a wonderful golfer to watch , he is exciting around the golf course , produces magic and isn’t arrogant about it - he clearly cares about the sport. I’ll back every time and he will imo get over the hurdle again

Some just look to want him to not win so they can post about how he has “bottled it or failed” again
Jealously and envy probably. He carries himself well, is exciting to watch and (mostly) always in the mix. The fact he shot the lowest total EVER to not win at a US Open shows you just how good Clark had to be to beat him.

Jason.H

Visit site
For the final round, it wasn't really putt for dough, it was "putt slightly better than my closest competitor" as Rory was -1.98 putting on the day while Clark was -0.63 so both lost shots to the field on the day. Rory was easily the best tee to green of the late starters, but his putting was so horrific it cost him. If he putted just average he would have won.

Rory was ranked #57 out of 65 putting on the day, Clark was ranked #37.
It was almost a re run of the open last year. Two big ones that got away. He needs to try a new caddy who can use aimpoint possibly. If you can’t read the breaks do you just keep guessing hoping you get lucky?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It was almost a re run of the open last year. Two big ones that got away. He needs to try a new caddy who can use aimpoint possibly. If you can’t read the breaks do you just keep guessing hoping you get lucky?
His SG putting on Thursday was +2.75 and on Friday was +1.89 so it's not as if he couldn't putt all week....
He was minus both days at the weekend though.
His putting is streaky...when he's on..he's on but when he's not he's fairly ordinary.
And, talking about putting, Scheffler is the worst putter ever to get to #1.

sunshine

Visit site
I like the course, although when I look at it, I'm not sure how much I would like it if I played it. I could see it getting tedious if I started losing multiple balls.

I'm not a fan of the blocks of flats on the periphery. I say blocks of flats somewhat tongue in cheek as I understand that the course is located in one of the most expensive areas of LA and that the course itself is potentially one of the most valuable pieces of real estate anywhere in the world. They are almost certainly incredibly expensive apartments, but they still look crummy to me.
Every time they showed an image of the “iconic” clubhouse, it was overshadowed by the tower block council estate behind it. I think that was where they filmed only fools and horses.

sjw

Visit site
His SG putting on Thursday was +2.75 and on Friday was +1.89 so it's not as if he couldn't putt all week....
He was minus both days at the weekend though.
His putting is streaky...when he's on..he's on but when he's not he's fairly ordinary.
And, talking about putting, Scheffler is the worst putter ever to get to #1.
Scheffler has an almost offensive number of lip-outs. I honestly don't know how he manages it. I told my brother, a complete non-golfer, how Scheffler does it all the time, and he duly delivered barely 2 holes later. He also had that putt that went full circle around the hole before dropping! I've never seen a golfer look so relieved so often on the putting green.

sunshine

Visit site
Rory was easily the best tee to green of the late starters, but his putting was so horrific it cost him. If he putted just average he would have won.

I'm struggling with these two comments. Did you actually watch all his shots? His putting in the final round was excellent, his pace was superb but everything was just sliding by. It was very difficult to get approach shots close to the hole (especially on the back 9) so his attempts at birdie were all from mid / long range. They were all putts with a low % of making.

The way the course played on Sunday, it was all about avoiding bogey on the long par 4s and par 3s, and then trying to take advantage of the short (for them) par 5s and par 4s. Personally, I think he lost his chance by not making birdie on the par 5s at 8 and 14. Both times he had an opportunity to get up and down for birdie.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Every time they showed an image of the “iconic” clubhouse, it was overshadowed by the tower block council estate behind it. I think that was where they filmed only fools and horses.
The entrance to LACC is on the right.

Who on earth would want to live in those dreadful apartments and have the same street address (Wilshire Boulevard) as the LACC, Beverly Hills Hilton and Beverly Hills Waldorf Astoria?

LACC entrance.jpg