US Open 2023

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
These are the tower blocks, or condos as Americans call them, closest to and overlooking the clubhouse of LACC.
"Proper grotty council estate" is perhaps not an accurate description, I would suggest, nor is "hell hole".

"Swanky apartment on Wilshire Boulevard in West Beverly" is maybe a description the people who live there would prefer.

LA Condos.jpg

Springveldt

Visit site
I'm struggling with these two comments. Did you actually watch all his shots? His putting in the final round was excellent, his pace was superb but everything was just sliding by. It was very difficult to get approach shots close to the hole (especially on the back 9) so his attempts at birdie were all from mid / long range. They were all putts with a low % of making.

The way the course played on Sunday, it was all about avoiding bogey on the long par 4s and par 3s, and then trying to take advantage of the short (for them) par 5s and par 4s. Personally, I think he lost his chance by not making birdie on the par 5s at 8 and 14. Both times he had an opportunity to get up and down for birdie.
Yes, I watched the whole last round live so saw all the shots that they broadcast. His pace control was mostly good but he didn’t hole anything, that’s why he lost nearly 2 shots putting to the field on Sunday while Clark only lost 0.6 shots.

Basically the short birdie putt on 8 (maybe 4 foot?) and the 9 footer for par on 14 that he missed cost him the championship.

sunshine

Visit site
Basically the short birdie putt on 8 (maybe 4 foot?) and the 9 footer for par on 14 that he missed cost him the championship.
We agree on this point.

Yes, I watched the whole last round live so saw all the shots that they broadcast. His pace control was mostly good but he didn’t hole anything, that’s why he lost nearly 2 shots putting to the field on Sunday while Clark only lost 0.6 shots.
Late night!

Although he didn't hole anything, the putt on 8 was the only miss where he really should have holed it. The putt on 14 was 50/50 at best (although those are the putts you need to hole to win the tournament).

I don't really understand how they calculate strokes gained as it's against the field. If you're the longest off the tee in the field you're playing your approaches from a different place / distance than everybody else so I don't understand where the SG calculation comes from.

CountLippe

Visit site
We agree on this point.

Late night!

Although he didn't hole anything, the putt on 8 was the only miss where he really should have holed it. The putt on 14 was 50/50 at best (although those are the putts you need to hole to win the tournament).

I don't really understand how they calculate strokes gained as it's against the field. If you're the longest off the tee in the field you're playing your approaches from a different place / distance than everybody else so I don't understand where the SG calculation comes from.
I assume each putt is taken in isolation and a sg % given for each depending purely on length. If the longest putt he holed was from a couple of feet he has no chance of gaining, the 4footer would be a loss and the cumulation of making none of the 5%-10%ers would add up to another shot.

Springveldt

Visit site
Late night!

As @CountLippe said strokes gained putting only takes into account the length of the putt holed compared to the expected outcome from that distance. I think everything 1 foot and in doesn't count when holed as it's expected all would be holed from there, obviously missing from there is a full shot loss. The putting part doesn't care how you got onto the green, only how well you did on the green.

The 4 footer was probably close to a full stroke (maybe around -0.9) and the 9 footer would probably have been in the -0.4 region since I think around 8 foot is 50/50 on the PGA Tour.

On the day Rory was -1.96 strokes gained putting, he was 57th out of 65 that day. It doesn't matter that his lag putting was good because a lot of the time he was in a distance were it was expected he would take 2 shots or there abouts to hole out from but he didn't make enough of the ones that were seen as decent chances were you would expect a couple to drop from during the round. Not just the 4 and 9 footer, he had decent looks on a few other holes from memory, in the 12-18 foot range.

I also think he made a massive mistake with his layup on 14, he laid up to 125 yards but the pin wasn't that tight behind the bunker. I thought he could have pushed the ball further down the fairways and left himself with 80 yards or so, I doubt he dumps that into the face of the bunker.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I also think he made a massive mistake with his layup on 14, he laid up to 125 yards but the pin wasn't that tight behind the bunker. I thought he could have pushed the ball further down the fairways and left himself with 80 yards or so, I doubt he dumps that into the face of the bunker.
I think he came out and said, or at least it was reported on, that because the ball was in the rough after the tee shot, if he tried to hit less loft, there was more possibility of the club snagging and the ball going left.

There was indecision on the wedge in between a gap and a sand wedge. I think he went with gap wedge which just ballooned into the air a bit

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site

Like I said earlier, drive for show, putt for dough. Simple as that. No need for all these stats - had he made at least two of those missed putts he would have won.