WHS and club completions

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Of course they don't; if you have a field full of players whose true ability is nearer 5 than scratch (and below), it's no longer an elite competition.

I've not heard of a single instance of a policy similar to EG's elite comps policy being implemented anywhere. And to repeat this again - EG's elite comps policy is NOT a restriction on the number of GP scores; it is simply a trigger for review to ensure the HI is a true reflection of ability.
This is what makes it so damn stupid and opens up the accusation of decisions made by stuffy men in committee rooms.

You cannot tell from looking at any individuals pattern of GP v Competition scores whether or not the scores are bona fide it is an impossible task. You can tell if there is a statistical pattern across groups if there is evidence of manipulation but any one person may well be a statistical outlier.

If you restrict the number of GP scores for competition it is the same for everyone. If you are looking at individuals you are attempting to divine the impossible which is why it is very difficult to take any action.

Commitee room in club
Item one on agenda
We have a couple of dodgy looking scores here and we dont have room for both.
Player A ,(I know his father by the way plays in a good club) and Player B, Higginbottom rumoured to wear ankle length socks when he plays in shorts, which one shall we pick
Vote in thanks chaps
Item 2 Were we going for the '96 or the '98 margaux for the cellar think we need another taste

Item 3.......

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I will quite regularly NR if I lose a ball. To go back and play another shot delaying everyone is the height of bad manners and rather disgustingly selfish behaviour.
Obviously I play a provisional if I think a lost ball is likely but not every bad bounce can be anticipated and with the summer rough up you don't need to be far off line to lose a ball.
Utter nonsense, and directly contradicts your second sentence.

Going back when unexpectedly losing one is fine, wave the next group through if they're waiting, nobody should be delayed

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
This situation of ‘be careful what you wish for’ reminds me of when the military introduced pay as you dine. Shift workers and those who travelled home at weekends moaned they were paying for 21 meals a week when only eating half. When you just paid for those meals you ate, the standard dropped as the chefs could no longer ‘subsidise’ the meals with the money they didn’t spend at weekends. With the new handicap system, people wanted a more realistic handicap that reflected current form and now it is in a mess.
Who did?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
No it doesn't my playing partners are delayed and if the group let through cannot make up time the whole course is delayed behind.
Your playing partners are complicit in not suggesting you may need to play a provisional. Going back to the tee (or spot of your last shot) is part of the rules of golf, there's nothing rude or "disgustingly selfish" about it.

wjemather

Visit site
You cannot tell from looking at any individuals pattern of GP v Competition scores whether or not the scores are bona fide it is an impossible task. You can tell if there is a statistical pattern across groups if there is evidence of manipulation but any one person may well be a statistical outlier.
You can, and it is almost always glaringly obvious because it's very difficult to hide.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Your playing partners are complicit in not suggesting you may need to play a provisional. Going back to the tee (or spot of your last shot) is part of the rules of golf, there's nothing rude or "disgustingly selfish" about it.
The decision is entirely my own, bad bounces happen and I do not wish to delay the course or my playing partners for my error. Disgustingly selfish may be an overstatement but it would be how I would regard myself in delaying many others.

NearHull

Visit site
Would you want the job to go through say 100 players in a comp to check each players handicap records?
I do this check regularly for our members by using the report of Comp v General Play which reports in .xl, then manipulate as reguired. However, when I do it for Opens , I check the winners individual records, which can be an hour or so.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do this check regularly for our members by using the report of Comp v General Play which reports in .xl, then manipulate as reguired. However, when I do it for Opens , I check the winners individual records, which can be an hour or so.
An hour or so? I presume you do not do presentations immediately after the event.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
An hour or so? I presume you do not do presentations immediately after the event.
Most opens I play in announce the results 2-3 days after the event. That's the norm I've found, events in Northumberland, Durham, S Scotland

People travel to opens up here. Few would wait hours after finishing to be awarded a prize, only one left in the room. It's impractical.

NearHull

Visit site
No, we don’t present on the day. We try to update our website in the next day or so, delays usually depending on whether we need to contact potential winners to clarify any issues. We also send out the results to all participants through the tee booker’s email.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, we don’t present on the day. We try to update our website in the next day or so, delays usually depending on whether we need to contact potential winners to clarify any issues. We also send out the results to all participants through the tee booker’s email.

For several Opens we still present on the day and I know of other clubs in this are that do the same)

Players who have not stayed and are in the winners list get the vouchers posted to them. They then have to drive back to the club to use them as we only give out vouchers for our own proshop ( I know some clubs use the reciprocal system)

The results as they come in are shown on the TV screen so players can get a fair idea if they need to stay.

Last edited:

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
The decision is entirely my own, bad bounces happen and I do not wish to delay the course or my playing partners for my error. Disgustingly selfish may be an overstatement but it would be how I would regard myself in delaying many others.
And that is very admirable (y)

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
For several Opens we still present on the day and I know of other clubs in this are that do the same)

Players who have not stayed and are in the winners list get the vouchers posted to them. They then have to drive pack to the club to use them as we only give out vouchers for our own proshop ( I know some clubs use the reciprocal system)

The results as they come in are shown on the TV screen so players can get a fair idea if they need to stay.
That is terrible, what if they've come from the other end of the country, or even just 100 miles away?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is terrible, what if they've come from the other end of the country, or even just 100 miles away?

Something worth checking before signing up and try to get a late tee time.

I have played in other clubs Opens in this area where it is the same.

Just before the lock down we once came 3rd in one clubs open (prizes were not that great*) I only picked up mine to spend there because I was on a day out nearby not sure if my playing partners ever did.

*Really good value just to play and great food included.

I played in one comp where the winners were the first team out and they came from a club 50 miles away . They had to wait until nearly 7 in the evening to pick up their prizes, all prizes as it was a sponsored event. Our group, who go regularly, always try to be the last teams out.

D-S

Visit site
Just received an email from my club stating that starting next April you will not be eligible for any prizes in club competitions if you have more than 5 general play scores in your last 20. They say that others clubs and open competitions will be adopting this rule if they don't already.

So, are there any clubs out there just now that are doing this? It won't affect me as most of my scores are in comps anyway but doesn't this go against the spirit of WHS of putting a card in most times you play?
Today’s email from EG to all clubs firmly stamps on this club’s email / policy / practice/ rumour.

I would suggest that they have already had a quiet word with the club and they will be be worth drawing from their stance pdq.

Springveldt

Visit site
Today’s email from EG to all clubs firmly stamps on this club’s email / policy / practice/ rumour.

I would suggest that they have already had a quiet word with the club and they will be be worth drawing from their stance pdq.
They have and the club are still going ahead with it for board comps, email came out this week.

I spoke to the Captain about it and he said EG had spoken to him but the clubs stance is that people can still put in GP cards all they want but to be eligible for board comp prizes you can’t have more than 5 GP’s in your last 20.

It’s a club rule on how they offer out prizes so I can’t see how EG can stop them.

The only exception is gross comps (club championship is the only one I think), can have as many GP’s as you want then.