The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very strange answer.

FWIW, i follow Oxford United and have been there loads over the last 30yrs.

I love the PL and watching the top six play each other, it is fantastic.

It seems both you and Philthefragger are playing a certain poster again.

I expect it from @AmandaJR NOT @PhilTheFragger given his "power"

No doubt your posts will be liked by a "certain few"

Not a clue what you're going on about but hey carry on :)

D

Deleted member 15344

Please don’t try to equate the two, there is absolutely nothing like being there. Nothing like planning your whole week around going, getting time off (or not and just going) driving the length of the country to watch a nil nil draw midweek and then going again on the Saturday. Planning holidays, weddings and everything else around the fixture list, stumping up thousands and giving untold hours just to watch your team, that’s investing…What do you think you have invested?…Sitting on your arse in front of the telly, pausing it to have a slash, rewinding bits to take photos to stick on the internet to try to make a point?

I know you think you are the same as the people who go but you are not. You are just lucky to witness what the real supporters see.

I don’t think it’s any surprise that you have read the tone of the post massively wrong and tried to make it just about one person but I’ll help quantify it

1. No one is trying to equate the two

2. No one is thinking that they are the same as someone who can go every single week

Just to help a bit more - I spent years going every other week when I lived significantly closer and life allowed me too , even more when I was a kid living with relatives. Not everyone has the ability to go week in week out - there are many reasons , costs , lack of tickets , distance , family life - but that doesnt stop them being “real fans”.

There are many fans that will arrange their life’s around watching their team play , my best mate who I used to go to watch the games with lives in Australia, he gets up in the middle of the night at times to watch the games , is he not a real fan then. There is nothing worse than football snobbery when it comes to “fans”.

Anyway

Interesting stat of the day

Since arriving at Liverpool , Mo Salah has had more yellow cards for celebrating goals than Man Utd have scored at Anfield 😁

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Since arriving at Liverpool , Mo Salah has had more yellow cards for celebrating goals than Man Utd have scored at Anfield 😁
And yet he still hasn't learned from it? Such a waste of a card. What if he misses a crucial game later in the season because the cards have added up? It's the daftest way to get suspended out there.

The stat is still funny though (I'm guessing this is in the PL era?)

D

Deleted member 15344

And yet he still hasn't learned from it? Such a waste of a card. What if he misses a crucial game later in the season because the cards have added up? It's the daftest way to get suspended out there.

He has had a total of 6 yellow cards ( 4 of them for celebrating) in his career at Liverpool - I think the danger of him getting suspended is very rare

And the stat is from when Salah arrived at Liverpool and yes it’s against Utd - 3 yellow cards against them and they have scored 1 goal I believe

I will always never agree with players being booked for celebrating

Last edited by a moderator:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

Its the Mo Salah Era... :ROFLMAO:

Swango1980

Visit site
I don’t think it’s any surprise that you have read the tone of the post massively wrong and tried to make it just about one person but I’ll help quantify it

1. No one is trying to equate the two

2. No one is thinking that they are the same as someone who can go every single week

Just to help a bit more - I spent years going every other week when I lived significantly closer and life allowed me too , even more when I was a kid living with relatives. Not everyone has the ability to go week in week out - there are many reasons , costs , lack of tickets , distance , family life - but that doesnt stop them being “real fans”.

There are many fans that will arrange their life’s around watching their team play , my best mate who I used to go to watch the games with lives in Australia, he gets up in the middle of the night at times to watch the games , is he not a real fan then. There is nothing worse than football snobbery when it comes to “fans”.

Anyway

Interesting stat of the day

That stat is impressive, if we are talking about yellow cards strictly against Utd. If it is just yellow cards for scoring generally, less impressive. He has scored loads, and he must be the sort player who likes to take his top off when he scores.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He has had a total of 6 yellow cards ( 4 of them for celebrating) in his career at Liverpool - I think the danger of him getting suspended is very rare

And the stat is from when Salah arrived at Liverpool and yes it’s against Utd - 3 yellow cards against them and they have scored 1 goal I believe

I will always never agree with players being booked for celebrating
Off topic a bit.
what is the official reason you get a yellow for taking your shirt off?

D

Deleted member 15344

Gotta say, the sooner sourness is retired the better. Absolutely bell of the highest order.

I would normally agree with you but he was spot yesterday towards Neville

They both laughed and grinned at him when he said he thought Liverpool would win comfortably and then afterwards Neville was a bit of joke , desperate not to give any credit at all to Liverpool and according to him they didn’t play well and it was only 7 nil because Utd were poor.

It’s why imo Neville , Carragher shouldn’t be anywhere near the Liverpool/Man Utd matches - they are incapable of providing any sort of balance. Bring in neutrals for the game.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I would normally agree with you but he was spot yesterday towards Neville

They both laughed and grinned at him when he said he thought Liverpool would win comfortably and then afterwards Neville was a bit of joke , desperate not to give any credit at all to Liverpool and according to him they didn’t play well and it was only 7 nil because Utd were poor.

It’s why imo Neville , Carragher shouldn’t be anywhere near the Liverpool/Man Utd matches - they are incapable of providing any sort of balance. Bring in neutrals for the game.

Selection of pundits winds me up quite a bit to be fair - but its all for clickbait these days!

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
My dad refers to football as the closest thing to a religion that we had in our family. He grew up supporting Rotherham United. If they weren't playing at home he and his mates would go and support Sheffield United or Wednesday - anathema to most modern football supporters.
When I was growing up in north Notts I loved watching Liverpool on TV but had season tickets at Chesterfield for years then Mansfield Town, because it was what we could afford and I was able to get lifts to the matches. Watching live football was all that mattered.
As a young man I couldn't afford to go to football at all as real life meant that time and money had to be spent on other things.
In my late 20s and 30s I started going to many Premier League matches in London in connection with my work. The tribal, largely alcohol influenced toxicity caused me to fall out of love with the game completely. The gang mentality of a vocal majority of football supporters seemed truly pathetic.
The football supporters I know now spend more time talking about the drinking and the vibe than the actual football.
A friend is taking me to Spurs v Forest on Saturday. I should be looking forward to it, but I'm not.
I would much rather support my team in the warmth of my living room while drinking a beverage of my choice from a vessel that isn't specifically designed to prevent me injuring another human with it and all while having easy access to the toilet.
I'm quite happy to not be considered a real football supporter.

I am not saying you are not a real supporter but I’m sure you will acknowledge that sitting watching tv is not like being in the stadium. It’s just a facsimile of supporting a team.

Referring to the top of your post, it was always, you can change your wife, your family even your religion but try to change your football team and you are a pariah 😁

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never really understood the whole 'I'm a better fan than you' thing. OK, talking from a rugby point of view but I have been a club season ticket holder going every week and I have, for various reasons, gone years without one. My passion for the Tigers never changed in that period but the demands on my time did (plus going out first thing in the morning everty Saturday, getting back having had too many beers early Sunday morning and spending the Sunday seeing off the hangover does not make for a great marriage). Now I have the time again, I may well go back to having a season ticket next season but that will not make me more of a fan than I am today. In fact, I do not look any differently at any Tigers fan. I really do not care if you were watching a match sat on the shale mound in the 1980s or started following Tigers after the league win last year, if you are a Tigers fan then that is what we have in common and everyone's support for the club should be celebrated.

I have massive respect for everyone in the ground, ticket money is still the lifeblood of rugby and getting bums on seats if the most important thing at club level but it does not make me more or less of a fan, just a person with more or less time or money to spend watching live sport.

Not a fan of 'gatekeeping' in any area but is does seem prevalent in football that you are not a fan or irrelevant if you can fill a set of unspecified criteria and keep proving your self to be that bit more of a fan than the next person.

D

Deleted member 15344

Off topic a bit.
what is the official reason you get a yellow for taking your shirt off?

Believe it was to stop time wasting and then they also said about getting the crowds too wound up 🤷‍♂️

There was the issue with Forlan who spent about 5 mins putting his shirt back on and the game started again with him running around with it half on

These days it adds no more time on and think it’s a stupid rule
Selection of pundits winds me up quite a bit to be fair - but its all for clickbait these days!

and that’s why they have Carragher and Neville there commentating but it’s awful and they can’t stop their bias

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
My dad refers to football as the closest thing to a religion that we had in our family. He grew up supporting Rotherham United. If they weren't playing at home he and his mates would go and support Sheffield United or Wednesday - anathema to most modern football supporters.
When I was growing up in north Notts I loved watching Liverpool on TV but had season tickets at Chesterfield for years then Mansfield Town, because it was what we could afford and I was able to get lifts to the matches. Watching live football was all that mattered.
As a young man I couldn't afford to go to football at all as real life meant that time and money had to be spent on other things.
In my late 20s and 30s I started going to many Premier League matches in London in connection with my work. The tribal, largely alcohol influenced toxicity caused me to fall out of love with the game completely. The gang mentality of a vocal majority of football supporters seemed truly pathetic.
The football supporters I know now spend more time talking about the drinking and the vibe than the actual football.
A friend is taking me to Spurs v Forest on Saturday. I should be looking forward to it, but I'm not.
I would much rather support my team in the warmth of my living room while drinking a beverage of my choice from a vessel that isn't specifically designed to prevent me injuring another human with it and all while having easy access to the toilet.
I'm quite happy to not be considered a real football supporter.

The Spurs Stadium is supposed to be great - I suspect you'll have a great day. I assume you're sitting with the Spurs fans? You'd have had a great time sat with the Forest fans - our away support are generally a good bunch who like to enjoy the day out. I know plenty who go to most away games and they're all fans of football - no hooligan mentality. Just enjoy singing for 90 minutes.
But I get why you perhaps wouldn't enjoy it, as the tribal aspect is embarrassing. Just look what happened to the poor Spurs fan after going to the Sheffield United in the FA Cup last week.

Hopefully you're a good luck charm for Forest as we could do with the points. :LOL: