The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just outta interest and I don’t know the answer, how is Sancho. I saw him on the bench today and was surprised he never got a run out.

Swango1980

Visit site
Just outta interest and I don’t know the answer, how is Sancho. I saw him on the bench today and was surprised he never got a run out.
Me to, I was especially surprised to see Antony stay on. Come to think of, when it was obvious Utd were going to lose, did Ten Hag keep Antony and Bruno on, to truly find out what character they had? And maybe he was happy to keep them on, to show them up for what they are. Mentally weak when the going gets tough?

They'll be watching a lot of videos of that game over the next few days.

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
For me there's just fans. Some think you're lower league and don't really count if you don't go to every game...

Very strange answer.

FWIW, i follow Oxford United and have been there loads over the last 30yrs.

I love the PL and watching the top six play each other, it is fantastic.

It seems both you and Philthefragger are playing a certain poster again.

I expect it from @AmandaJR NOT @PhilTheFragger given his "power"

No doubt your posts will be liked by a "certain few"

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
Someone who regularly goes to matches rather than someone who maybe went there once or twice 20 years ago, or someone with a direct link with the place
In my humble opinion

You might aswell close the footbaĺl thread because 99% of those who post havent been to their teams games for years!!

I didnt ask you, but seeing as you've stuck your head above the paraphet, do you follow your local team?

Do you put the time and effort to follow your local team to carlisle away on a wednesday evening like others do?

Or are you flexing your "muscle" to have a dig at a certain forummer?

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
I dare say there’s a number of definitions. Some say if you’re an armchair supporter, you’re not a “proper fan.”

I’ve not been to a Boro match for around 5 years, and not been to the U.K. for over 4 years. But living 1,800 miles away makes it a little difficult. However, I’ve been a Boro supporter for close on 60 years. I’ve been a season ticket holder, both at the old Ayresome Park and the Riverside, and I’ve put countless miles in to away matches. I watch them every week via streaming. I read a number of articles every day from the Middlesbrough Evening Gazette and the club’s website, and I follow them every day on social media.

But I don’t go to the matches, and with limited time in the U.K. I doubt I’ll get to another match. Proper fan? I’d like to think so…

Ah ayresome park eh, i remember a good few skirmishes coming off the train through the town centre.

*** of a place tbh.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
You might aswell close the footbaĺl thread because 99% of those who post havent been to their teams games for years!!

I didnt ask you, but seeing as you've stuck your head above the paraphet, do you follow your local team?

Do you put the time and effort to follow your local team to carlisle away on a wednesday evening like others do?

Or are you flexing your "muscle" to have a dig at a certain forummer?
Merely spouting my personal view,
I have lived within 15 miles of High Wycombe since I was 4, my local team is Wycombe wanderers, one of my teachers at secondary school was Dave Alexander, a WW player,
Me and members of my school year used to go to home matches on a regular basis,
Me & @Imurg went to the FA Cup match In 1975 V Middlesbrough who were top of the old First division , I bumped off school for the replay and still did my paper round the next day.

Life takes over and I admit that the last game I saw was the F A cup V Villa about 6 years ago,
But Wycombe are my team, always have been and always will be, and I don’t need to defend that to anybody

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
Merely spouting my personal view,
I have lived within 15 miles of High Wycombe since I was 4, my local team is Wycombe wanderers, one of my teachers at secondary school was Dave Alexander, a WW player,
Me and members of my school year used to go to home matches on a regular basis,
Me & @Imurg went to the FA Cup match In 1975 V Middlesbrough who were top of the old First division , I bumped off school for the replay and still did my paper round the next day.

Life takes over and I admit that the last game I saw was the F A cup V Villa about 6 years ago,
But Wycombe are my team, always have been and always will be, and I don’t need to defend that to anybody

Thanks for confirming your opinion.

Your views on football are as valid as Robbie Savage's on Radio 5Live👍

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
According to MOTD Micha it was all Antony’s fault.!
His highlights were shocking TBF.
but why didn’t the manager hook him he was shocking while Sancho warmed the bench.

Swango1980

Visit site
According to MOTD Micha it was all Antony’s fault.!
His highlights were shocking TBF.
but why didn’t the manager hook him he was shocking while Sancho warmed the bench.
As I said, I wonder if he was exposing Antony to a really difficult time, for a full 90 minutes. See what he has got. Or to teach him what it is like when you are up against it.

Besides, going 3-0 down so quickly in 2nd half, the game suddenly looked beyond us. Bringing on Sancho, a player low on confidence, when getting thumped at Anfield would probably do him more harm than good.

Will be interesting to see if Bruno and Antony will play the next game.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I said, I wonder if he was exposing Antony to a really difficult time, for a full 90 minutes. See what he has got. Or to teach him what it is like when you are up against it.

Besides, going 3-0 down so quickly in 2nd half, the game suddenly looked beyond us. Bringing on Sancho, a player low on confidence, when getting thumped at Anfield would probably do him more harm than good.

Will be interesting to see if Bruno and Antony will play the next game.
And that will do Antony good???

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I would like to think it doesn’t matter these days.

Each club has a significant amount more fans of the club that can fit in the stadium and not everyone has the chance or the ability to go to the game

The Prem is now a huge global league - prob the biggest in the game and that means it attracts millions of supporters of clubs from all over the world and when a club is successful it attracts more fans than others

I have no doubt that it people could go to the game more often they would but there will be many reasons why they can’t.

I suspect many on here have invested many years in the club they support whether that be from a chair in their front room or a chair in their stadium

Please don’t try to equate the two, there is absolutely nothing like being there. Nothing like planning your whole week around going, getting time off (or not and just going) driving the length of the country to watch a nil nil draw midweek and then going again on the Saturday. Planning holidays, weddings and everything else around the fixture list, stumping up thousands and giving untold hours just to watch your team, that’s investing…What do you think you have invested?…Sitting on your arse in front of the telly, pausing it to have a slash, rewinding bits to take photos to stick on the internet to try to make a point?

I know you think you are the same as the people who go but you are not. You are just lucky to witness what the real supporters see.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Please don’t try to equate the two, there is absolutely nothing like being there. Nothing like planning your whole week around going, getting time off (or not and just going) driving the length of the country to watch a nil nil draw midweek and then going again on the Saturday. Planning holidays, weddings and everything else around the fixture list, stumping up thousands and giving untold hours just to watch your team, that’s investing…What do you think you have invested?…Sitting on your arse in front of the telly, pausing it to have a slash, rewinding bits to take photos to stick on the internet to try to make a point?

I know you think you are the same as the people who go but you are not. You are just lucky to witness what the real supporters see.

There is nothing like being there. The buzz from being there is light years away from sitting at home. The banter in the car/train/coach/plane builds memories and friendships. But “planning the whole week around…” it might have been one of the week’s highlights but so was 5-a-side on a Tuesday and a game of golf on Sunday.

And I don’t pause the tv, I use the commode ;)

Swango1980

Visit site
And that will do Antony good???
Some players need tough love. Who knows why Ten Hag kept Antony on except Ten Hag. But, I'm pretty sure it wasn't because he was brilliant. Maybe he was kept in because he wasn't even trying to run for the team, and so Ten Hag felt he was fresh. And Ten Hag may well continue to explain this to him today.

RichA

Visit site

My dad refers to football as the closest thing to a religion that we had in our family. He grew up supporting Rotherham United. If they weren't playing at home he and his mates would go and support Sheffield United or Wednesday - anathema to most modern football supporters.
When I was growing up in north Notts I loved watching Liverpool on TV but had season tickets at Chesterfield for years then Mansfield Town, because it was what we could afford and I was able to get lifts to the matches. Watching live football was all that mattered.
As a young man I couldn't afford to go to football at all as real life meant that time and money had to be spent on other things.
In my late 20s and 30s I started going to many Premier League matches in London in connection with my work. The tribal, largely alcohol influenced toxicity caused me to fall out of love with the game completely. The gang mentality of a vocal majority of football supporters seemed truly pathetic.
The football supporters I know now spend more time talking about the drinking and the vibe than the actual football.
A friend is taking me to Spurs v Forest on Saturday. I should be looking forward to it, but I'm not.
I would much rather support my team in the warmth of my living room while drinking a beverage of my choice from a vessel that isn't specifically designed to prevent me injuring another human with it and all while having easy access to the toilet.
I'm quite happy to not be considered a real football supporter.