The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe park the fishing rod for one night?

This forum doesn't have to always be about your ego. 👍
There are only a couple of Everton fans on here now. We have learnt not to bite 😉.

I think it's amusing that so many liverpool fans are obsessed with their 'little' neighbour's. Concentrate on your own team 🤷‍♂️

D

Deleted member 15344

Not sure this is news to many - it’s been believed by many that the government of Saudi were always going to be involved in the running of the club - it’s the Saudi State money. Don’t expect the Prem to do anything now

There are only a couple of Everton fans on here now. We have learnt not to bite 😉.

I think it's amusing that so many liverpool fans are obsessed with their 'little' neighbour's. Concentrate on your own team 🤷‍♂️

🙄 it’s almost as if there is no humour anymore and rival fans don’t talk about other teams

Not sure where the “obsession” is

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Not sure this is news to many - it’s been believed by many that the government of Saudi were always going to be involved in the running of the club - it’s the Saudi State money. Don’t expect the Prem to do anything now

🙄 it’s almost as if there is no humour anymore and rival fans don’t talk about other teams

Not sure where the “obsession” is

Lol coming from the guy with a sense of humour bypass

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Watched the Madrid - Barca game this evening.

How refreshing to watch linesmen allowed to flag for offsides...even marginal ones...instead of letting the game drag on for 30 seconds before raising a flag. Negligible interference from VAR and the only real serious check taking a minimal amount of time (as it should have as it was obviously not offside).

Swango1980

Visit site
Watched the Madrid - Barca game this evening.

How refreshing to watch linesmen allowed to flag for offsides...even marginal ones...instead of letting the game drag on for 30 seconds before raising a flag. Negligible interference from VAR and the only real serious check taking a minimal amount of time (as it should have as it was obviously not offside).
If the linesman flags, does the ref stop play? If so, presumably if linesman was wrong, then it would cancel out some goals that should have stood, or would have happened had play continued?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If the linesman flags, does the ref stop play? If so, presumably if linesman was wrong, then it would cancel out some goals that should have stood, or would have happened had play continued?

Or it could be written if the linesman was wrong, then it could cancel out some goals that could have stood or could have happened had play continued. Or it could have stopped players being injured when play would have been stopped.
For me a linesman has two basic jobs. Ball going out of play and looking for offside. VAR made offside is a classic example of VAR taking over from a linesman. But it don’t end there. In the premier league we have VAR. In the FA cup we don’t unless it is played at a Prem league ground. So a ref has to raise his flag for offside.

Swango1980

Visit site
Or it could be written if the linesman was wrong, then it could cancel out some goals that could have stood or could have happened had play continued. Or it could have stopped players being injured when play would have been stopped.
For me a linesman has two basic jobs. Ball going out of play and looking for offside. VAR made offside is a classic example of VAR taking over from a linesman. But it don’t end there. In the premier league we have VAR. In the FA cup we don’t unless it is played at a Prem league ground. So a ref has to raise his flag for offside.
Firstly, I'm not actually against the idea of not using VAR for offside, although I'm not 100% one way or the other. I've said before, I hate it when my team score a goal, and then I feel I can't celebrate as I'm not sure offside will be given or not. Even at times I've not felt it be offside at all in the heat of the action, VAR then shows a players toe nail may have been offside in the build up.

Obviously, the advantage of VAR is that goals stand when the linesman was wrong to flag, but ruled out when it was clearly offside and the linesman missed it.

However, if VAR is used and accepted, then I cannot see how it can work if the linesman puts his flag up immediately? How many times, since VAR has started, have we seen a team score a goal, and then the linesman immediately flag for offside? Loads. Then, how often does VAR look at it and say the linesman was wrong, and there was no offside? Very often. So, on all those occasions, if linesman put flag up immediately, and play was stopped, a goal would never have been scored. That is a lot of goals taken away from the game incorrectly. On the flip side, if the linesman doesn't think it is offside and a goal is scored, if VAR is allowed to look at it and it was offside, then the goal still ruled out. So, basically there'd be no balance. On both occasions, when a linesman makes a mistake, the end result will always result in no goal.

I get the argument about a player maybe getting injured if play is allowed to continue, when it will end up being a waste of time as there was an offside. Although, I'm not sure how often this has happened, can't remember any specific moments?

If the technology could make an instant call on offside, then that would be best. I know I've heard of automated offside being used, although not sure how well it works? Was it trialed at the World Cup?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Transfer news hotting up for the summer

Mount to Liverpool?
Bellingham to stay put? Or maybe Madrid?
Bruno Guimaraes also linked to Real - would be a massive loss for Newcastle, cant see that transpiring personally....
Chelsea linked to another 100m move for a striker... despite owning Lukaku :ROFLMAO:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Firstly, I'm not actually against the idea of not using VAR for offside, although I'm not 100% one way or the other. I've said before, I hate it when my team score a goal, and then I feel I can't celebrate as I'm not sure offside will be given or not. Even at times I've not felt it be offside at all in the heat of the action, VAR then shows a players toe nail may have been offside in the build up.

Obviously, the advantage of VAR is that goals stand when the linesman was wrong to flag, but ruled out when it was clearly offside and the linesman missed it.

However, if VAR is used and accepted, then I cannot see how it can work if the linesman puts his flag up immediately? How many times, since VAR has started, have we seen a team score a goal, and then the linesman immediately flag for offside? Loads. Then, how often does VAR look at it and say the linesman was wrong, and there was no offside? Very often. So, on all those occasions, if linesman put flag up immediately, and play was stopped, a goal would never have been scored. That is a lot of goals taken away from the game incorrectly. On the flip side, if the linesman doesn't think it is offside and a goal is scored, if VAR is allowed to look at it and it was offside, then the goal still ruled out. So, basically there'd be no balance. On both occasions, when a linesman makes a mistake, the end result will always result in no goal.

I get the argument about a player maybe getting injured if play is allowed to continue, when it will end up being a waste of time as there was an offside. Although, I'm not sure how often this has happened, can't remember any specific moments?

If the technology could make an instant call on offside, then that would be best. I know I've heard of automated offside being used, although not sure how well it works? Was it trialed at the World Cup?
What I don’t get about VAR and NickDavies inadvertently picked up on it was that Spain use a different system to England in the sense that Linespersons 😉 flag. They use a different system to England. And the Prem league and the FA cup use different systems re VAR and refs. So does that affect a player or more importantly the officials running the game. And why are different footballing bodies using different rulings of VAR🤔😳👍

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

Yep...the ref blew up immediately.

In all cases the marginal offsides, as I termed them, were ones you would have expected the linesman to spot...I'm not talking about instances where the attackers nose might have been ahead of the defenders big toe. Good simple traditional offsides that no one can argue about.

I'd much rather have a system where we allow the lino to do his job, (and accept that on occasion he will make an error) and not have to worry whether our goal celebrations are going to be cut short by a belated flag. Some of the offsides you see not flagged in the PL are laughable. Allowing play to go on just wastes time (especially for a team who may be chasing the game in the closing stages) and adds risk of unnecessary injury from challenges that dont need to be made.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

I cannot see how this would be difficult to implement.

With all the cameras around the pitch it cannot be difficult for a computer to track the position and direction of movement of every player on the pitch, the position and movement of the ball, determine who it was who played the ball at any one moment in time, where the ball was heading and if the player it was going towards was in an offside position when the ball was played.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I cannot see how this would be difficult to implement.

With all the cameras around the pitch it cannot be difficult for a computer to track the position and direction of movement of every player on the pitch, the position and movement of the ball, determine who it was who played the ball at any one moment in time, where the ball was heading and if the player it was going towards was in an offside position when the ball was played.

Not sure if it is the same as rugby but in rugby the players have GPS trackers giving a live feed throughout the match for training purposes. With there being a chip in the ball as well, it surely cannot be hard to translate that live GPS data into an instant offside ruling.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I could, he’s currently their purring Jag surrounded by Fiats, guess it depends if he has faith in the club bringing in some more really top quality players in the summer.

I think they need to look at Bruno as their Kompany though - the guy who was there from the start.

You cant move up the table and challenge for Europe if you sell your best player after 18 months of service. They need to dig in their heels and pay him a fortune to stay.

I know its mental to compare the two clubs, there is no comparison in reality. Bruno would stay for the money and hope of one day lifting a trophy for Newcastle. Not sure if that outweighs competing on every level in Madrid to Bruno...

Swango1980

Visit site
Yep...the ref blew up immediately.

In all cases the marginal offsides, as I termed them, were ones you would have expected the linesman to spot...I'm not talking about instances where the attackers nose might have been ahead of the defenders big toe. Good simple traditional offsides that no one can argue about.

I'd much rather have a system where we allow the lino to do his job, (and accept that on occasion he will make an error) and not have to worry whether our goal celebrations are going to be cut short by a belated flag. Some of the offsides you see not flagged in the PL are laughable. Allowing play to go on just wastes time (especially for a team who may be chasing the game in the closing stages) and adds risk of unnecessary injury from challenges that dont need to be made.
This is the problem to me. In the PL, if a player is truly miles offside, the linesman will flag for offside immediately anyway. However, sometimes they do not flag, even if it appears it is still ridiculously obvious. Because, there are actually occasions were a linesman will be virtually 100% in their mind a player was clearly offside, and they'll be correct in this assessment maybe 95% of the time. However, there will be times that they got it completely wrong.

I often watch a recap of Mark Goldbridge talking through each Man Utd game (the 10 minute version), mainly because it is like Alan Partridge reacting to his favourite team (brilliant watching all his angry moments over the last few seasons). The other day, while a VAR review was taking place, he was absolutely slating the VAR officials as the offside was obvious against the Man U player (it also looked obvious to me, from watching it at the time). Even after seeing the replay again, he continued to wonder why it was taking so long because it is one of the most obvious offsides he has ever seen. Turns out the Man U player was actually onside (not the Rashford at City incident, before we start that up again :) ). Watching it did make me smile, because as it was a recap, I knew it was onside and love seeing it when he is adamant about something, then turns out he was completely wrong. Sometimes the mind can truly play tricks on you, even if you see a replay. Let alone only having an instant to make a decision from your angle on the pitch, maybe with players blocking your view of the offside player or the one playing the ball.

So, if a linesman simply starts to flag every time they think a player is a yard or 2 offside (which looks obvious at the time, and when you see the replay), inevitably there will be a few occasions where they just get it wrong. And, even if they get it right 19 times out of 20, you can bet the one time they get it wrong there will be an absolute uproar from players, managers, fans and media. How useless officials are, why did they not let VAR do its job, etc.

But, again, I agree that I miss the time that a goal was scored and you just knew it was a goal. Even if the offside was at the very last second of the move, the player and fans could just look at linesman immediately. No flag = goal. Whereas not, you sort of have a 75% celebration, then about a 1-3 minute agonising wait before actually knowing if your happiness was worth it. I know, on the reverse side, if a goal is eventually ruled out then it is happiness for the other fans. But, seems sadistic to reduce pleasure for doing something good (your team scoring), but increasing pleasure for something bad (the opposition team having a goal cancelled).

Also, agree with Tashyboy that I don't really get why it is used differently in different leagues. I'd have thought by this stage, they'd all be working together, communicating, and looking at the most efficient ways of using it. Not just doing their own thing. Sometimes it feels a bit like that with general rule interpretations as well, like offside and handball.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I could, he’s currently their purring Jag surrounded by Fiats, guess it depends if he has faith in the club bringing in some more really top quality players in the summer.
He can't move, he is one of the few players they have a song for :LOL:.

He is quality and I can see why Real, ageing centre midfield with Kroos and Modric, would be sniffing. They can't outpay Newcastle though and hopefully they will show him who they are looking to buy in the summer and convince him to be a part of it. He seems to be very settled up here but ultimately footballers are mercenaries and he will go where is best for him. Real are very tempting for a player, particularly a S.American who has no real ties to any European club.

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Tbf Gumaires took the move to Newcastle when they were relation fodder. Obviously all players say the right things at the right time, but recently he has said the the PL was his target (which is unusual for South Americans).

I'd like him to stay, if UTD are to start throwing some cash around. But they need to capitalise on their current situation as they appear ahead of where they should be considering the relatively modest investment so far.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure if it is the same as rugby but in rugby the players have GPS trackers giving a live feed throughout the match for training purposes. With there being a chip in the ball as well, it surely cannot be hard to translate that live GPS data into an instant offside ruling.

I guess the problem would be where the GPS chip is located. A chip in the back of the shirt could say a player is onside when his legs or feet are actually offside.