Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quarter-final draw in full
Manchester City v Burnley
Manchester United v Fulham
Brighton v Grimsby Town
Sheffield United v Blackburn Rovers

welcome home Vinnie

Got to be looking at a City v Utd final. I'm sure that the powers that be will ensure they avoid each other in the semi finals if they both get through the quarter finals.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Got to be looking at a City v Utd final. I'm sure that the powers that be will ensure they avoid each other in the semi finals if they both get through the quarter finals.
I think there’s a couple of banana skins in there. The top two from the championship, how good are they.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If they both get through the QF, hopefully not, I hope they draw each other in the semis. It would be great to see different teams in the final. It means so much more to them and is far more interesting for the rest of us.

Swango1980

Visit site
I was out tonight, but hey, just for you guys.

View attachment 46718

View attachment 46719

View attachment 46720

For the first time in ten years it's actually great to be a Man Utd supporter.
It is funny, at 1-0 down and not playing great, I still had belief Utd could turn it round. And at 1-1 and a few mins left, when I discovered it would actually go to extra time after commentator mentioning it, I still believed we would find a winner. Not had that feeling in years.

I even said to myself, if we do lose it will be no disgrace. Even though we weren't playing so well, West Ham defended well. Gave it a go, can't win them all. But, much better way to lose than previous years, were we couldn't get near the opposition.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is funny, at 1-0 down and not playing great, I still had belief Utd could turn it round. And at 1-1 and a few mins left, when I discovered it would actually go to extra time after commentator mentioning it, I still believed we would find a winner. Not had that feeling in years.

I even said to myself, if we do lose it will be no disgrace. Even though we weren't playing so well, West Ham defended well. Gave it a go, can't win them all. But, much better way to lose than previous years, were we couldn't get near the opposition.

Funny you say we defended well.. Roy Keane claimed we defended poorly throughout

But then Keane doesn't seem to rate any performance by any team anymore

Does he even like football?

D

Deleted member 15344

Up to 6th now with a game in hand still which may put us 3 points behind Spurs , got a little run going but a huge game at the weekend , get 6 points from the next two games before the international break and then we have Diaz and Thiago back hopefully. Then who knows - keep the run going and we may have a great shot at top 4

Swango1980

Visit site
Funny you say we defended well.. Roy Keane claimed we defended poorly throughout

But then Keane doesn't seem to rate any performance by any team anymore

Does he even like football?
haha, when I posted this, I immediately thought back to Roy's reaction.

In all honesty, Keane is one of my favourite pundits, and I usually agree with him. I also think he has mellowed a bit in a lot of matches, he hasn't been that critical at all. To be fair, if he is often on Utd games, there is a lot less to be critical of.

However, I thought he was harsh last night, it is almost like someone was winding him up about how amazing West Ham were. At 1-0 down, I thought West Ham were doing pretty well. For nearly every goal, I'm sure the defending team will look at mistakes or where they could have done better. The own goal just seemed unlucky, trying to defend a good ball in, especially up against the tall Weghorst. The second goal, Garnacho just took it well. The action was in the middle, and suddenly got deflected to him wide in the box, so the defender was naturally a long way from him. Forget the 3rd goal, understandable West Ham were not really worried about defence at that point

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
haha, when I posted this, I immediately thought back to Roy's reaction.

In all honesty, Keane is one of my favourite pundits, and I usually agree with him. I also think he has mellowed a bit in a lot of matches, he hasn't been that critical at all. To be fair, if he is often on Utd games, there is a lot less to be critical of.

However, I thought he was harsh last night, it is almost like someone was winding him up about how amazing West Ham were. At 1-0 down, I thought West Ham were doing pretty well. For nearly every goal, I'm sure the defending team will look at mistakes or where they could have done better. The own goal just seemed unlucky, trying to defend a good ball in, especially up against the tall Weghorst. The second goal, Garnacho just took it well. The action was in the middle, and suddenly got deflected to him wide in the box, so the defender was naturally a long way from him. Forget the 3rd goal, understandable West Ham were not really worried about defence at that point

Thought he was massively underplaying how well United played. That second goal was scored by the best player on the pitch and lovely goal just have to applauded that

Swango1980

Visit site
Thought he was massively underplaying how well United played. That second goal was scored by the best player on the pitch and lovely goal just have to applauded that
Sometimes. if he is on the same panel as Ian Wright, I think Ian Wright loves to wind him up, especially off camera. They love each other, and I think Wright can push his buttons, knowing that there will be no animosity after. We've seen it before in England games when Wright gets massively excited, and Keane thinks he is getting massively carried away.

So, if I was to hazard a guess, during the game I reckon Wright was really bigging up West Ham. How well they were playing, almost as if they were heroes. And, maybe he went into overload when they scored. Then after the game, once we got to hear the reaction, I think Keane was basically reacting to people (Wright, and maybe Joe Cole), getting carried away at the underdog team at Old Trafford, and really making the point that he has seen it time and time again, where the underdog team and fans get carried away after a solid performance for 60-70 minutes, but then ultimately end up losing anyway.

That is my take on it anyway. Even when he talked about people getting carried away, he made a little glance over towards Wrighty.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

Horrible football club. Literally nothing likeable about them at all.

In other news, thanks to Arsenal and Liverpool for their wins last night.

I absolutely despise them (and not because of the Tevez affair) when I was about 13 my dad took me there, we beat them I think with a late winner, walking back to our car about 4 blokes rumbled we was West Ham (got the time mate). They started trying to trip us up, shove us in the back etc. Absolute cowards setting about a young boy and an old man, still makes me angry 40+ years later!

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I absolutely despise them (and not because of the Tevez affair) when I was about 13 my dad took me there, we beat them I think with a late winner, walking back to our car about 4 blokes rumbled we was West Ham (got the time mate). They started trying to trip us up, shove us in the back etc. Absolute cowards setting about a young boy and an old man, still makes me angry 40+ years later!

Not surprised at all. Horrible manager, horrible fans and horrible players (McBurnie springs to mind)...just an all round bad club.

Wednesday on the other hand.....

Swango1980

Visit site
Not surprised at all. Horrible manager, horrible fans and horrible players (McBurnie springs to mind)...just an all round bad club.

Wednesday on the other hand.....
Quite funny. Been reading these comments out to my work mate beside me, a Sheffield Wednesday season ticket holder.

He was loving all the slagging off of Sheffield United, then when I read "Wednesday on the other hand......" he was :eek: . Fill in the blank :)

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site

Horrible football club. Literally nothing likeable about them at all.

In other news, thanks to Arsenal and Liverpool for their wins last night.

My word, i am absolutely stunned reading that thread. I hope those 2 poor blokes recover quickly, they've had an horrific experience in sheffield.

Sheffield United and South Yorkshire Police need to be condemning this kind of behaviour from those Sheffield United neanderthal fans.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

When the starting lineup was announced an hour before kick off, with six changes from Sunday, there were audible groans on the concourse where I was enjoying my pre match beer. When I heard Maguire, Lindelöf and McTominay were starting I immediately revised my Super 6 prediction.

First half was like watching last season and, given the personnel playing, that’s no surprise. Slow and ponderous in possession, giving the ball away cheaply - it was like being taken back in time to twelve months ago. We were very lucky to get in 0-0 at half time.

The changes made a difference, but it wasn’t really until around the 70 minute mark that the tide started to turn, and by then we should have been two down. But once the equaliser went in there was only going to be one winner. The game, and atmosphere in the ground, were transformed.

What last night confirmed beyond doubt is that the squad still lacks depth. The first choice line up is a match for anyone, but the fringe players are simply not good enough. Still work needed.

What those standing near me were all agreed upon is that the fans have their United back. The love for the manager and the new signings is there for all to see. Casemiro and Martinez are cult figures a mere six months into their contracts. And if anyone doubts what Weghorst brings to this side I will simply say get to a game and watch what he does. His link up play is absolutely first class and his work ethic is unbelievable. He is everything the likes of Martial are not.

Another cracking night. But Trafford Borough Council need to sort the roadworks out on Chester Road. Carnage getting back on the M56 again 😳

Swango1980

Visit site
When the starting lineup was announced an hour before kick off, with six changes from Sunday, there were audible groans on the concourse where I was enjoying my pre match beer. When I heard Maguire, Lindelöf and McTominay were starting I immediately revised my Super 6 prediction.

First half was like watching last season and, given the personnel playing, that’s no surprise. Slow and ponderous in possession, giving the ball away cheaply - it was like being taken back in time to twelve months ago. We were very lucky to get in 0-0 at half time.

The changes made a difference, but it wasn’t really until around the 70 minute mark that the tide started to turn, and by then we should have been two down. But once the equaliser went in there was only going to be one winner. The game, and atmosphere in the ground, were transformed.

What last night confirmed beyond doubt is that the squad still lacks depth. The first choice line up is a match for anyone, but the fringe players are simply not good enough. Still work needed.

What those standing near me were all agreed upon is that the fans have their United back. The love for the manager and the new signings is there for all to see. Casemiro and Martinez are cult figures a mere six months into their contracts. And if anyone doubts what Weghorst brings to this side I will simply say get to a game and watch what he does. His link up play is absolutely first class and his work ethic is unbelievable. He is everything the likes of Martial are not.

Another cracking night. But Trafford Borough Council need to sort the roadworks out on Chester Road. Carnage getting back on the M56 again 😳
It's a strange one. When I saw the starting line up, I didn't perhaps groan as much as you, even though I would have done last season. There were definitely quite a few players not playing that I'd consider our best players (Shaw, Varane, Martinez, Casemiro and Rashford). So, there was at least half of the best team of outfield players missing. By definition, any team losing 5 of its best players will be weaker (not even including the long term injury of Eriksen). However, despite that, I strangely had a much stronger belief that Ten Hag knew what he was doing, and the players on the pitch would have a lot more about them than the shambles we saw last year on a regular basis. It just feels they all have much more faith in the system. I think it was Rashford that suggested that, even when they have bad individual games, they just feel that the system they play offers them a much stronger chance of coming out with the result.

All in all, I felt they were solid, apart from 1 or 2 edgy moments. Sabitzer almost scored early on, was a very good save. I could just feel the non-regular players were trying to build confidence by passing the ball around a bit more, playing safe and simple. Not fun to watch, but I like the fact that the likes of Magure and McTomminay are trying to get the basics right and building confidence, rather than trying to be a hero, making a big mistake and then never recovering. Ironically, if felt Bruno gave the ball away loads (as he often does), and even Casemiro in the first 5/10 minutes after coming on at start of second half. I guess they are happier to play quicker passes, and won't get too bothered if it doesn't always come off. The one big chance I remember in 1st half was when Maguire was a bit too deep, and played Antonio onside on the other side of pitch.

Still though, strengthening in certain areas will be important. Interesting about Weghorst, I can absolutely see what he brings to the team, yet it is his position that is most up for grabs by a newcomer. It'll be interesting to see if Weghorst stays, as another option (and maybe sell Martial). At the moment, I'm fairly impressed with Sabitzer, and would like to see more of him, see how he gets on. Will he be a long term prospect? Will get Eriksen back, and would love to get someone like Rice (or dare I say it, Bellingham). Mind you, how many central midfielders do we really need, bearing in mind some will be squad players. Especially as Fred has improved, and McTominay might be a squad player (although I still think he is slow). What other positions would we need? We have 2 top centre backs and 2 experiences back ups. Two good left backs, and although I never felt I would say this, the 2 right backs actually look decent as well. Rashford and Garnacho on left, Antony and Sancho on right (I'll forget Greenwood). I'm even coming round more to Antony. Certainly not living up to the price tag, but he never ever hides. He is constantly a presence, and when he got the ball he had 2 or 3 West Ham players charging out to him. I mean, I'd have him in the side every time instead of Dan James :)

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Quite funny. Been reading these comments out to my work mate beside me, a Sheffield Wednesday season ticket holder.

He was loving all the slagging off of Sheffield United, then when I read "Wednesday on the other hand......" he was :eek: . Fill in the blank :)

haha!

In case it wasn't clear - I don't mind Wednesday. Proper club with a decent ground and atmosphere.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
It's a strange one. When I saw the starting line up, I didn't perhaps groan as much as you, even though I would have done last season. There were definitely quite a few players not playing that I'd consider our best players (Shaw, Varane, Martinez, Casemiro and Rashford). So, there was at least half of the best team of outfield players missing. By definition, any team losing 5 of its best players will be weaker (not even including the long term injury of Eriksen). However, despite that, I strangely had a much stronger belief that Ten Hag knew what he was doing, and the players on the pitch would have a lot more about them than the shambles we saw last year on a regular basis. It just feels they all have much more faith in the system. I think it was Rashford that suggested that, even when they have bad individual games, they just feel that the system they play offers them a much stronger chance of coming out with the result.

All in all, I felt they were solid, apart from 1 or 2 edgy moments. Sabitzer almost scored early on, was a very good save. I could just feel the non-regular players were trying to build confidence by passing the ball around a bit more, playing safe and simple. Not fun to watch, but I like the fact that the likes of Magure and McTomminay are trying to get the basics right and building confidence, rather than trying to be a hero, making a big mistake and then never recovering. Ironically, if felt Bruno gave the ball away loads (as he often does), and even Casemiro in the first 5/10 minutes after coming on at start of second half. I guess they are happier to play quicker passes, and won't get too bothered if it doesn't always come off. The one big chance I remember in 1st half was when Maguire was a bit too deep, and played Antonio onside on the other side of pitch.

Still though, strengthening in certain areas will be important. Interesting about Weghorst, I can absolutely see what he brings to the team, yet it is his position that is most up for grabs by a newcomer. It'll be interesting to see if Weghorst stays, as another option (and maybe sell Martial). At the moment, I'm fairly impressed with Sabitzer, and would like to see more of him, see how he gets on. Will he be a long term prospect? Will get Eriksen back, and would love to get someone like Rice (or dare I say it, Bellingham). Mind you, how many central midfielders do we really need, bearing in mind some will be squad players. Especially as Fred has improved, and McTominay might be a squad player (although I still think he is slow). What other positions would we need? We have 2 top centre backs and 2 experiences back ups. Two good left backs, and although I never felt I would say this, the 2 right backs actually look decent as well. Rashford and Garnacho on left, Antony and Sancho on right (I'll forget Greenwood). I'm even coming round more to Antony. Certainly not living up to the price tag, but he never ever hides. He is constantly a presence, and when he got the ball he had 2 or 3 West Ham players charging out to him. I mean, I'd have him in the side every time instead of Dan James :)

What has become abundantly clear is that Ten Hag has the ability to change a game with his tactical switches. There are very few like for like substitutions - the changes are invariably made because of the state of the game and he has an unerring ability to change the course of matches. That in game management is exceptional.

I don’t disagree with what you say at all, and agree wholeheartedly that even Casemiro was guilty last night of squandering possession early on after he came on. What concerned me, before the changes were made, is just how easy we were to defend against. The laboured build up allows the opposition to regain their shape and it was all rather predictable to watch. The second half was markedly different.

I do agree that there is now a much more solid look, even about the so-called second string players, and I suppose it’s testament to how much we’ve improved this season that a solid look, which I would have sold my grandmother to see last season, now leaves me feeling rather short changed.

Great times to be a United fan again. I know I’m like a cracked record saying that repeatedly, but it’s a blessed relief to spend my hard earned cash and attend games and not spend most of the time angry and wondering why I bothered.

D

Deleted member 15344

5D5424C7-9B8D-4996-A26D-F93C19D7999B.jpeg

Wow - that’s outstanding level of commitment

Didn’t realise that they are the lowest scoring team in all 5 leagues

Reality must hit at some point that they will be likely going down