The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Have you seen the video clip of him after the final at the weekend complaining to Bruno that he hadn't passed to him at the end when they were already 2-0 up?

It sums his winning mentality up.

I know the debate has been touched upon here regarding whether it has been Casemiro or Haaland who has improved their team most this season.

Haaland has scored a hatful of goals but I think the statistics suggest he has not improved City as a team - I believe they have scored a similar number of goals to the same point this season as last, and have conceded more.

Whilst Ten Hag has been a massive influence, Casemiro has been absolutely central to the improvement on the pitch at United. In terms of impact on the team, he beats Haaland hands down in my (admittedly rather biased) view.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

I know the debate has been touched upon here regarding whether it has been Casemiro or Haaland who has improved their team most this season.

Haaland has scored a hatful of goals but I think the statistics suggest he has not improved City as a team - I believe they have scored a similar number of goals to the same point this season as last, and have conceded more.

Whilst Ten Hag has been a massive influence, Casemiro has been absolutely central to the improvement on the pitch at United. In terms of impact on the team, he beats Haaland hands down in my (admittedly rather biased) view.

Aren’t you comparing apples with oranges? If a team is operating at or about their capability, swapping a like for like player won’t changes things a great deal. Finding that player is extremely difficult, and well done to City’s recruitment dept for bringing Haaland in.

But a rhetorical question on the impact Casemiro has had. Is Casemiro the reason Rashford is back to his best, or is Ten Hag?

For me, there’s several reasons for Utd’s turnaround. First of all, getting rid of Pogba and Ronaldo? Secondly, Ten Hag. And then bringing in an engine room in Casemiro. In Casemiro, Utd have their Kevin De Bruyne. What impact does a Casemiro or a De Bruyne have? Look at Liverpool without Mane. Although Mane is more of a number 10 he played deeper than an out and out striker, and his link up play is exceptional. Mane very much made Liverpool tick, and that’s the influence Casemiro and De Bruyne have.

Putting Casemiro into Utd’s team was always going to make a difference but every player needs the right system to then operate at their best. And that’s where you see Ten Hag’s influence.

Swango1980

Visit site
Just read that Casemiro has played in 17 finals and won 16 😳😳😳
Getting to 17 finals is some achievement on its own, never mind winning 16, Phenomenal record at the level he’s playing at.
It seems like Varane is massively overlooked, with all the hype on the impact of Casemiro and Martinez.

I believe Varane has now won 17 out of 19 finals. Injuries and an awful side were no help to him last year. But, he is showing his class now. Just quietly goes about doing a phenomenal job in defence.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Aren’t you comparing apples with oranges? If a team is operating at or about their capability, swapping a like for like player won’t changes things a great deal. Finding that player is extremely difficult, and well done to City’s recruitment dept for bringing Haaland in.

But a rhetorical question on the impact Casemiro has had. Is Casemiro the reason Rashford is back to his best, or is Ten Hag?

For me, there’s several reasons for Utd’s turnaround. First of all, getting rid of Pogba and Ronaldo? Secondly, Ten Hag. And then bringing in an engine room in Casemiro. In Casemiro, Utd have their Kevin De Bruyne. What impact does a Casemiro or a De Bruyne have? Look at Liverpool without Mane. Although Mane is more of a number 10 he played deeper than an out and out striker, and his link up play is exceptional. Mane very much made Liverpool tick, and that’s the influence Casemiro and De Bruyne have.

Putting Casemiro into Utd’s team was always going to make a difference but every player needs the right system to then operate at their best. And that’s where you see Ten Hag’s influence.

It’s always going to be difficult to say definitively what impact a single player has had on a side. But Casemiro is the player we have been missing for years. In many respects he’s the glue which holds the side together.

The protection he gives the back four cannot be overlooked, but many also thought he wasn’t a passer of the ball. How wrong they were. He snuffs out opposition moves and his distribution when he wins the ball is first class.

Of course there are a multitude of reasons behind United’s turnaround, top of the list being the manager. But whilst we were all purring about Haaland and how invincible City would become with him in the ranks, I just think Casemiro has had more of an impact when it comes to the arrival of a player transforming a club’s fortunes.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just think Casemiro has had more of an impact when it comes to the arrival of a player transforming a club’s fortunes.
To be fair, if you look where City and Utd were both at there was far more scope for Casemiro to significantly improve Utd than Haarland could improve City. For City it's now about marginal gains.

Top, top players.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Continuing the theme of impact a player(s) and or a manager, why are Arsenal doing so well? I can’t see any one person making a significant difference. Maybe the manager has got all the players to up their game and play as a team, not as individuals.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Continuing the theme of impact a player(s) and or a manager, why are Arsenal doing so well? I can’t see any one person making a significant difference. Maybe the manager has got all the players to up their game and play as a team, not as individuals.

Odegaard has been absolutely superb this season and in my opinion is the reason why Arsenal are doing so well.
Agreed they play as a Team, but in my opinion Odegaard has made the difference.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
It seems like Varane is massively overlooked, with all the hype on the impact of Casemiro and Martinez.

I believe Varane has now won 17 out of 19 finals. Injuries and an awful side were no help to him last year. But, he is showing his class now. Just quietly goes about doing a phenomenal job in defence.

Thats some record as well, you can't buy experience so they say!!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

Looking at Casimero, he comes across as one of those players who gives an 8/9 every game. But more importantly he helps other players get that 8 and 9. He helps to gel the team. Compare that to Ronaldo, he never seemed to improve the players around. Ronaldo would complain like Casimero did because he wanted to score for him. Casimero complains because Fernandez made the wrong decision for the team. There’s a massive difference. Talking of Ronaldo, how he has dropped off the grid re FIFA player of the year.😳. He not mind though now he is chasing the Arab brass
Re Haaland he has been fantastic for the team but the teams problems this year have been the team not him. Defensively we have not been settled all seasons due to injuries. Foden has had foot problems and went on record and said this has been his most difficult time as a player with injury. Ave a feeling the teams midfield heart will be ripped out at the end of the season with Gundoghan and Silva going.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Odegaard has been absolutely superb this season and in my opinion is the reason why Arsenal are doing so well.
Agreed they play as a Team, but in my opinion Odegaard has made the difference.
I have said this before, he reminds me very much of a young KDB.👍

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Looking at Casimero, he comes across as one of those players who gives an 8/9 every game. But more importantly he helps other players get that 8 and 9. He helps to gel the team. Compare that to Ronaldo, he never seemed to improve the players around. Ronaldo would complain like Casimero did because he wanted to score for him. Casimero complains because Fernandez made the wrong decision for the team. There’s a massive difference. Talking of Ronaldo, how he has dropped off the grid re FIFA player of the year.😳. He not mind though now he is chasing the Arab brass
Re Haaland he has been fantastic for the team but the teams problems this year have been the team not him. Defensively we have not been settled all seasons due to injuries. Foden has had foot problems and went on record and said this has been his most difficult time as a player with injury. Ave a feeling the teams midfield heart will be ripped out at the end of the season with Gundoghan and Silva going.

You'll be alright though I reckon :ROFLMAO:... Silva is featuring less now that Jack's form seems to be improving and I assume that Phillips is the natural successor to Gundogan.

Swango1980

Visit site
Interesting comments. Agree with Casemiro. Not sure Ronaldo was fully trying to chase Arab brass. I think he just realised none of the big teams wanted him, and so he was making the best of a bad situation by getting paid to play for a "nobody" team in a "nobody" league. Looking at Chelsea's situation and the circus transfer policy, I am now extremely suprised they didn't just pay him £30 million in wages for 6 months, knowing they needed a striker and that they were going to cause massive disruption anyway.

Interested on your views on Haaland, he is not the problem, it is the team. These were my views on Ronaldo last year, and why I defended him. He was doing his job and scoring goals, the rest of the team were awful. I did concede that the negative impact Ronaldo could have on the team was that players relied on him too much, instead of taking responsibility themselves. Though my frustration was towards those players, and the way they were coached. But, it is an interesting debate. It is obvious Haaland is amazing and he is doing what you'd expect him to do. But, does having that type of player remove something from the team that they had before? Does it mean that they may not be consistently good in every game, but when they get it right (or the opposition are poor), then City can destroy them with Haaland?

I know Kane is older, but would his style fit the City style of player better?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Interesting comments. Agree with Casemiro. Not sure Ronaldo was fully trying to chase Arab brass. I think he just realised none of the big teams wanted him, and so he was making the best of a bad situation by getting paid to play for a "nobody" team in a "nobody" league. Looking at Chelsea's situation and the circus transfer policy, I am now extremely suprised they didn't just pay him £30 million in wages for 6 months, knowing they needed a striker and that they were going to cause massive disruption anyway.

Interested on your views on Haaland, he is not the problem, it is the team. These were my views on Ronaldo last year, and why I defended him. He was doing his job and scoring goals, the rest of the team were awful. I did concede that the negative impact Ronaldo could have on the team was that players relied on him too much, instead of taking responsibility themselves. Though my frustration was towards those players, and the way they were coached. But, it is an interesting debate. It is obvious Haaland is amazing and he is doing what you'd expect him to do. But, does having that type of player remove something from the team that they had before? Does it mean that they may not be consistently good in every game, but when they get it right (or the opposition are poor), then City can destroy them with Haaland?

Yes. Far better footballer overall and would bag 10 more goals a season at City than he does at Spurs.

Tashyboy

Visit site

Re Haaland I am gobsmacked at how many he has scored. The amount of players City have signed and struggled in their first season because they have had to get to know the system is astonishing. Foden is Citys second highest scorer yet has missed a ton of games. Looking forward to seeing how Haaland fares next season as I am sure Pep will make him a better footballer

Swango1980

Visit site
Re Haaland I am gobsmacked at how many he has scored. The amount of players City have signed and struggled in their first season because they have had to get to know the system is astonishing. Foden is Citys second highest scorer yet has missed a ton of games. Looking forward to seeing how Haaland fares next season as I am sure Pep will make him a better footballer
That would lead me to my other question. What on earth has happened with Foden? Has he been injured, as suggestions were that Pep hasn't fancied him much since the World Cup. Seemed to be frozen out for a couple of months, but maybe now being brought back in.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That would lead me to my other question. What on earth has happened with Foden? Has he been injured, as suggestions were that Pep hasn't fancied him much since the World Cup. Seemed to be frozen out for a couple of months, but maybe now being brought back in.

One of the best managers in the game doesn't fancy him as much yet when Southgate didn't use him often he got slated , maybe Southgate isn't clueless as people claimed

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
One of the best managers in the game doesn't fancy him as much yet when Southgate didn't use him often he got slated , maybe Southgate isn't clueless as people claimed
Foden has played 22/25 prem games and 5/7 European games whilst competing with Silva, Mahrez, grealish and others.

Southgate picks Mount instead.