The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Jordan Pickford has just signed a new contract at Everton. He was coming up to 1 yr left this summer. He either stays, good, or gets sold for a decent fee now if someone wants to buy him, good. Either way, the club are now protected.

Believe he’s been linked with Tottenham.
One thing I can’t get away with Pickford is how every time he remonstrates with the players in front of him. As he does is so often the message has lost its strength/belief, and I imagine he’s just ignored

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Jordan Pickford has just signed a new contract at Everton. He was coming up to 1 yr left this summer. He either stays, good, or gets sold for a decent fee now if someone wants to buy him, good. Either way, the club are now protected.
Surely there’s a relegation release clause.
If Everton were to go down and he stayed I can’t see him being England No1.

Swango1980

Visit site
One thing I can’t get away with Pickford is how every time he remonstrates with the players in front of him. As he does is so often the message has lost its strength/belief, and I imagine he’s just ignored
Peter Schmeichel did this often, I think the defenders struggles to ever ignore him (as much as I am sure they tried) :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely there’s a relegation release clause.
If Everton were to go down and he stayed I can’t see him being England No1.
According to the reports there isn't one. I'd have thought it is in both parties interests to sell him if we go down though. He is on PL wages, we can't afford that in the championship.

As @Jensen has pointed out, he has been linked with Spurs as they clearly need to replace Lloris, and I think this is about protecting the resale value of him as much as wanting him to stay.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It must be just white noise by now 🤷‍♂️

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

Wonder how many club will follow West Ham and start to cry about having some of the Prem money be filtered to grass roots football and the EFL

At least 10 clubs I bet! Short sighted from West Ham too, they have spent plenty of years in the lower leagues as well as the prem.

It’s only right that the prem should support the whole pyramid of football in England!

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
At least 10 clubs I bet! Short sighted from West Ham too, they have spent plenty of years in the lower leagues as well as the prem.

It’s only right that the prem should support the whole pyramid of football in England!

And more than likely to be dropping down again soon… Shyster Sullivan is as deluded as Moyes, both fiddling whilst Rome is burning.
Shame it wasn’t in place to stop him moving the club to an athletic stadium.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Trying to figure out what the protocol is with VAR reviews at the very end of the game. In the PL, on one of the very first weekends of VAR, I remember a review and reversal of decision was made after the final whistle.

But, is that the case now? Is it the case in Europe? Once the final whistle had gone, and managers started shaking hands and players generally walking off the pitch, I did feel there is absolutely no chance VAR would or could change anything. Imagine if some players were already walking down the tunnel, a large number of fans left the stadium and then suddenly the game was restarted for a penalty. Chaos. You might have fans rushing back into the stadium to see what is going on, whilst others feel like they've been robbed of seeing the match-winning moment (or saving moment).

I'd have thought a better protocol would be for the ref to do a single blow of the whistle when it was full-time, but acknowledging he'd allow VAR to make that check. If VAR said it was OK, then the double blow of the whistle, otherwise carry out the review on the monitor.
The odd thing was that on BT the ref that commented said that VAR never even looked at the “ handball”.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I may be a voice in the wilderness, but I thought Motty went on way too long. Great in his heyday, and knew his stuff inside out, but I couldn’t help feeling he was rather left behind as the game, and the broadcasting of it, moved on.

Still a very sad day though, as he was involved in the broadcast of many of the best games I saw growing up, which I still recall today.
This isn't the time to argue but my feeling is that the game never left him behind, more that present commentators should look up to him to see how it should be done.
The game has changed over the years but commentating, done correctly, will stand the test of time.

Swango1980

Visit site
It is a penalty, but one of those you often see ignored. I just have a sneaky feeling the referee 2ill need no excuse to give decisions in Barcelona's favour. Felt that since Rashford was taken out on edge of box