The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Honestly I’m not seeing it that bad. The previous criticisms that they‘ve been conceeding early and playing from a losing position doesn’t apply. 2 goals up and where they got completely unzipped was through the midfield. Fabinho had an awful game and I agree there were many defensive errors but they’re not shambolic by any stretch. I’d be looking elsewhere look for that badge of honour. Take away 2 bizarre goalie howlers and an awful set piece and the game seems a lot closer than the scoreline reads.

Like it or not Liverpool can make miracles happen, especially in the champions league. Never write them off.

I think the problem is two fold. I agree there are issues in midfield, which no longer gives the defence the protection it has had in years gone by. But that lack of protection in turn shows the defence up for what it now is - nowhere near as good as we perhaps were led to believe.

It needs to be considered that, despite being a man light at the weekend, Newcastle still created a number of chances. Had that been 11 v 11 I doubt it would have finished 0-2. So anyone who believed Liverpool had turned a corner was perhaps guilty of wishful thinking.

They’ve spent a lot of money on strikers, none of whom press, whilst totally overlooking where the real problem lies. The midfield needs a real overhaul, and the defence is now reliant on a player in VVD who is a pale imitation of the player he was before Jordan Pickford’s assault on him a few years ago.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
The comment "relegation threatened Forest" surly can come as no surprise, as a general theme built up throughout the season. After 10 games they were 19th (Palace 15th), after 15 games they were 20th (Palace 10th), after 20 games they were 13th (Palace 12th) and now they are 13th after 23 games (Palace 12th).

So, clearly Forest were deep within that relegation battle not so long ago. They've now hit a good run, and got themselves out of it. They've been given credit, but of course the fact that they were last not so long ago means that people would be reluctant to completely dismiss the idea they are no longer in a relegation battle. If they keep up their form, they'll continue to get praised and sooner or later get themselves away from that battle. In relation to Palace, they've not really entered that discussion because they've just sort of hovered above the lower end teams. But, they'll certainly enter the discussion if they start getting dragged more into it, which they will if a few of the clubs below them start playing the way some think they should.

Smash and Grab isn't a comment related to the quality of a goal. It is to do with the flow of the game. I think everyone acknowledges that City should have been out of sight, but they didn't manage it. If the underdog then scored the best goal in PL history, it is still a smash and grab result based on the flow of the game.

I had no issues with the "relegation threatened" comments when we were bottom of the table. But now we've actually managed to turn things around a look like a half decent side (even with 11 starting players out injured) - sure some respect would be due? But my point is, we're still referred to as "relegation threatened Forest" - despite being mid-table. That's not to say we won't still go down - only takes a bit of a bad run, but Palace are in the same situation and aren't ever discussed as being in the relegation battle (Nothing against Palace, just using them as an example as they're a point ahead of us).

I would 100% agree with you if Forest's game plan wasn't to absorb and take their chances when they came. Sounds odd, but Cooper played to give City more of the ball (because they would have it anyway), and stay committed in defence. The goal was worked out from Navas all the way through to Wood. A Smash and grab (in this situation) would have been a hoof up field, punted into the box and hoped for the best - but it was anything but.

It sounds like I'm ranting, but in reality it doesn't much bother me if we fly under the radar and finish 17th. Staying up is staying up....just wish there would be some consistency in the way the media reports things (but I'm basically asking for the Moon on a stick, I think :LOL:)

Swango1980

Visit site
I had no issues with the "relegation threatened" comments when we were bottom of the table. But now we've actually managed to turn things around a look like a half decent side (even with 11 starting players out injured) - sure some respect would be due? But my point is, we're still referred to as "relegation threatened Forest" - despite being mid-table. That's not to say we won't still go down - only takes a bit of a bad run, but Palace are in the same situation and aren't ever discussed as being in the relegation battle (Nothing against Palace, just using them as an example as they're a point ahead of us).

I would 100% agree with you if Forest's game plan wasn't to absorb and take their chances when they came. Sounds odd, but Cooper played to give City more of the ball (because they would have it anyway), and stay committed in defence. The goal was worked out from Navas all the way through to Wood. A Smash and grab (in this situation) would have been a hoof up field, punted into the box and hoped for the best - but it was anything but.

It sounds like I'm ranting, but in reality it doesn't much bother me if we fly under the radar and finish 17th. Staying up is staying up....just wish there would be some consistency in the way the media reports things (but I'm basically asking for the Moon on a stick, I think :LOL:)
Well, from my perspective, I thought Forest were getting a lot of praise for their turn in form. In fact, I'd have thought there are many more positive comments about how Forest have been playing compared to how Palace have been playing in the last month or so. But, the reality is, Forest are not safe from the relegation battle. They have been playing well, but they've got some big clubs behind them, who may have a pretty good run in them (on paper). For example, signs Leicester and Wolves might be getting better, Everton and West Ham may well go on a decent run, and who knows about other clubs, and a potential manager bounce. I don't think people are now seeing Forest as one of the 3 most likely clubs to get relegated, but as a newly promoted team that was recently at the bottom of the league, there is bound to be uncertainty as to whether Forest are now showing who they really are, or they are going through a purple patch that may come to an end abruptly. Palace probably have some credit in the bank, in that Vieira has done a decent job with them, and people have probably seen enough from them over the last few years to think they probably have enough to stay out of trouble (probability wise).

Again, the way I see a smash and grab is exactly what happened in the Forest game. Play ultra defensive and concede possession, hope the defence weather the storm, and really hope that you can nick a goal and get something out of the game. That may be resorting to long ball tactics, or any other method to score. I can use my team, Man Utd as an example. There have been times, even under Sir Alex, where we played more defensively and allowed the opposition to have most of the ball, and look to counter attack. Many of those games, Utd created most of the clear opportunities, and therefore the perception was Utd were clearly the better team (played like that more recently against City). That isn't smash and grab, just good tactics. However, there have been other times were we have ridden our luck, relied on great saves and defensive blocks, and then won the game with a rare chance. That is definitely smash and grab.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, from my perspective, I thought Forest were getting a lot of praise for their turn in form. In fact, I'd have thought there are many more positive comments about how Forest have been playing compared to how Palace have been playing in the last month or so. But, the reality is, Forest are not safe from the relegation battle. They have been playing well, but they've got some big clubs behind them, who may have a pretty good run in them (on paper). For example, signs Leicester and Wolves might be getting better, Everton and West Ham may well go on a decent run, and who knows about other clubs, and a potential manager bounce. I don't think people are now seeing Forest as one of the 3 most likely clubs to get relegated, but as a newly promoted team that was recently at the bottom of the league, there is bound to be uncertainty as to whether Forest are now showing who they really are, or they are going through a purple patch that may come to an end abruptly. Palace probably have some credit in the bank, in that Vieira has done a decent job with them, and people have probably seen enough from them over the last few years to think they probably have enough to stay out of trouble (probability wise).

Again, the way I see a smash and grab is exactly what happened in the Forest game. Play ultra defensive and concede possession, hope the defence weather the storm, and really hope that you can nick a goal and get something out of the game. That may be resorting to long ball tactics, or any other method to score. I can use my team, Man Utd as an example. There have been times, even under Sir Alex, where we played more defensively and allowed the opposition to have most of the ball, and look to counter attack. Many of those games, Utd created most of the clear opportunities, and therefore the perception was Utd were clearly the better team (played like that more recently against City). That isn't smash and grab, just good tactics. However, there have been other times were we have ridden our luck, relied on great saves and defensive blocks, and then won the game with a rare chance. That is definitely smash and grab.

I must follow all the wrong media outlets as I've not seen this at all :LOL:(except for the Premier League Twitter account who actually praised Cooper and the run of form in a series of tweets earlier.

But I agree we are far from safety. We need 3-4 wins and a draw or two to get us over the line I think and with our fixtures, it's certainly doable - especially if we can find *any* sort of away form at all (literally anything) to grind out a few results.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the problem is two fold. I agree there are issues in midfield, which no longer gives the defence the protection it has had in years gone by. But that lack of protection in turn shows the defence up for what it now is - nowhere near as good as we perhaps were led to believe.

It needs to be considered that, despite being a man light at the weekend, Newcastle still created a number of chances. Had that been 11 v 11 I doubt it would have finished 0-2. So anyone who believed Liverpool had turned a corner was perhaps guilty of wishful thinking.

They’ve spent a lot of money on strikers, none of whom press, whilst totally overlooking where the real problem lies. The midfield needs a real overhaul, and the defence is now reliant on a player in VVD who is a pale imitation of the player he was before Jordan Pickford’s assault on him a few years ago.
Can’t really disagree with this assessment.
What the reason is for the lack of recruitment of class midfielders I don’t know.
but in my humble opinion it’s the main reason for our fall.
Reals midfield gave us a torrid time second half.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I must follow all the wrong media outlets as I've not seen this at all :LOL:(except for the Premier League Twitter account who actually praised Cooper and the run of form in a series of tweets earlier.

But I agree we are far from safety. We need 3-4 wins and a draw or two to get us over the line I think and with our fixtures, it's certainly doable - especially if we can find *any* sort of away form at all (literally anything) to grind out a few results.

had a cheeky week in Lanzarote. Took kids as a Christmas present. Young Bradley Tash loves Volcanoes so he was in Heaven. Back to football, Anyway as we are walking for breakfast Sunday morning I saw a family of four wearing Forest shirts 🤬🤬🤬🤬. We had a good natter re the forgettable game 😉. One thing has struck me about the Forest fans. They are very knowledgeable about their team. So much so I don’t think they have shopped in the rose tinted glasses shop yet. We had a good 15 minutes talking football. Suffice to say the conversation ended with us both agreeing that the sheep shaggers look good in the 1st Division. 😁👍

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
had a cheeky week in Lanzarote. Took kids as a Christmas present. Young Bradley Tash loves Volcanoes so he was in Heaven. Back to football, Anyway as we are walking for breakfast Sunday morning I saw a family of four wearing Forest shirts 🤬🤬🤬🤬. We had a good natter re the forgettable game 😉. One thing has struck me about the Forest fans. They are very knowledgeable about their team. So much so I don’t think they have shopped in the rose tinted glasses shop yet. We had a good 15 minutes talking football. Suffice to say the conversation ended with us both agreeing that the sheep shaggers look good in the 1st Division. 😁👍
oh don’t worry, for every fan who can look at the team subjectively (thankfully most I’m in circles with fall into this category) we have;
- fans who think we’re heading to europe
- fans who know nothing about football and think cooper and select players are useless (it’s usually the academy bred players who get picked on. All of whom have found their form. One bloke I sat next to at the Chelsea game kept calling Brennan rubbish (not the word he used) because “he wasn’t getting back to defend”. The same Brennan Johnson who is basically playing at Forward And is our top goalscorer 🥴

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
oh don’t worry, for every fan who can look at the team subjectively (thankfully most I’m in circles with fall into this category) we have;
- fans who think we’re heading to europe
- fans who know nothing about football and think cooper and select players are useless (it’s usually the academy bred players who get picked on. All of whom have found their form. One bloke I sat next to at the Chelsea game kept calling Brennan rubbish (not the word he used) because “hehe wasn’t getting back to defend”. The same Brennan Johnson who is basically playing at Forward And is our top goalscorer 🥴
If he cannot defend he won’t play for England 😂😉