The Cricket Thread

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Rana Naved is the ex player in question. It’s now being reported elsewhere that he was present when Vaughan made the alleged “too many of you lot” comment, and corroborates Rafiq’s account.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's going to be more and more players popping out of the woodwork to defend their position before the MP committee hearing and before the FULL report is published. And the key point is the FULL report. Extracts from a redacted version isn't great, leading to tit-bit headlines. This has a long way to go yet....

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
There's going to be more and more players popping out of the woodwork to defend their position before the MP committee hearing and before the FULL report is published. And the key point is the FULL report. Extracts from a redacted version isn't great, leading to tit-bit headlines. This has a long way to go yet....

This is the only action they have left. Ballance has got ahead of the story and taken his medicine to a certain extent. Unless the report is far worse than he says, he will not be mentioned much after ther report comes out. Vaughan may have shot himself in the foot, used his media connections to get his claims of innocence out early but now finds himself in trouble as the story appears to be corroborated. The contents of that report and the parliamentary hearing could hold his future media career etc in the balance. Anyone who does not come forward in advance is looking to get the book thrown at them as well as being on the reciving end of most of the public and media outrage.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
No sympathy for Vaughan, he's was gunning for Robinson earlier in the summer for tweets made in his past.

I know that I am very much pre-judging with no knowledge but I can hear him saying that line in my head. You know, in that sort of alloof, sounds a bit like I am joking but I mean it really sort of way. I can just see the next press release being 'if I did say it, I was only having a bit of a joke'. Really should no pre-judge anyone but the fact that he can use his knowledge of a report in his defence that nobody else has seen and can use his column to get that across to a wide audience winds me up a bit.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know that I am very much pre-judging with no knowledge but I can hear him saying that line in my head. You know, in that sort of alloof, sounds a bit like I am joking but I mean it really sort of way. I can just see the next press release being 'if I did say it, I was only having a bit of a joke'. Really should no pre-judge anyone but the fact that he can use his knowledge of a report in his defence that nobody else has seen and can use his column to get that across to a wide audience winds me up a bit.

Yes he was very quick on the 'it wasn't me ' stance.
He was calling for Robinson to go straight away, so he should stand down too until cleared or not.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
In his statement he also said that it is a matter of record that the ECB were asked to help in the initial investigation… this is getting uglier and uglier.

To be slightly fair to the ECB (and they have not been great in this) they were asked to be involved in the internal investigation which I understand why they had to decline. They needed to remain impartial to allow a later involvement in the oversight and arbitration based on the findings and so could not be conflicted out by being involved directly in the investigation.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes he was very quick on the 'it wasn't me ' stance.
He was calling for Robinson to go straight away, so he should stand down too until cleared or not.

I just do not think that people involved and named in such investigations should be able to use the power of their own newspaper columns to on on the offensive about what was said, especially when most people have not even heard the evidence.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
To be slightly fair to the ECB (and they have not been great in this) they were asked to be involved in the internal investigation which I understand why they had to decline. They needed to remain impartial to allow a later involvement in the oversight and arbitration based on the findings and so could not be conflicted out by being involved directly in the investigation.

Its a tough one. A county needs help but the ECB felt conflicted. At least Yorkshire employed a top (independent) barrister, Rehana Azib to head up the initial inquiry. Why couldn’t the ECB send X dept to help but set out at the outset that Y dept would arbitrate if needed?

In fact, arbitration could have been carried out by ICAS, the international arbitration body for sport. If they’d gone down that route, no one could have suggested any bias.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rana Naved is the ex player in question. It’s now being reported elsewhere that he was present when Vaughan made the alleged “too many of you lot” comment, and corroborates Rafiq’s account.

Apparently Rashid was with Rana and Rafiq at the time. I wonder if he will corroborate what was / was not said.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its a tough one. A county needs help but the ECB felt conflicted. At least Yorkshire employed a top (independent) barrister, Rehana Azib to head up the initial inquiry. Why couldn’t the ECB send X dept to help but set out at the outset that Y dept would arbitrate if needed?

In fact, arbitration could have been carried out by ICAS, the international arbitration body for sport. If they’d gone down that route, no one could have suggested any bias.

Certainly not an easy one but from a legal background I can see why the ECB may have declined to be involved which is something that some in the media cannot see. I can see a few people throwing mud at the ECB in the coming weeks to try and deflect from their own involvement.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Be aware of any person who sounds as if they do everything by numbers.
As in there are too many of you.
Cricket is a number game, and some people seem to think that players are just numbers.

Grizzly

Visit site
Certainly not an easy one but from a legal background I can see why the ECB may have declined to be involved which is something that some in the media cannot see. I can see a few people throwing mud at the ECB in the coming weeks to try and deflect from their own involvement.

On the one hand, you can reasonably say it is poor form of the ECB to refuse to provide assistance with an investigation, then complain about the outcome of that investigation. However, at this stage, there is no suggestion that they are doing so - they do not appear to have any issue with the determinations of the report's authors, their issue is entirely with the way that the management of the club have handled the report. And - rather oddly - there seems to be an almost unanimous agreement with the ECB on that point.

Doesn't exempt them from criticism though - a truly forward thinking organisation would already be looking at other counties to see how widespread issues are.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
From what little I've seen of cricket, it looks like a pretty good game [unlike the terminal boredom of soccer rules football that you so enjoy].
The white uniforms look very classy, and the bats are more expensive looking than baseball bats.

My only question is this: do all matches take four months to play?
How much time for recreation does the average Indian have?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From what little I've seen of cricket, it looks like a pretty good game [unlike the terminal boredom of soccer rules football that you so enjoy].
The white uniforms look very classy, and the bats are more expensive looking than baseball bats.

My only question is this: do all matches take four months to play?
How much time for recreation does the average Indian have?

Not sure where you got 4 months from ?

Test matches ( international games) are five days, county games ( domestic) are 4 days.
There are several one day competition too.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Gayle and DJ Bravo retiring from international cricket today. Hope they get a decent game and win it against the Aussies.
South Africa has to beat the Poms to advance and I am not massively hopeful.
still think T20 is a dross format of the game though