The Cricket Thread

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
From what little I've seen of cricket, it looks like a pretty good game [unlike the terminal boredom of soccer rules football that you so enjoy].
The white uniforms look very classy, and the bats are more expensive looking than baseball bats.

My only question is this: do all matches take four months to play?
How much time for recreation does the average Indian have?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
From what little I've seen of cricket, it looks like a pretty good game...

My only question is this: do all matches take four months to play?
There are actually several forms of Cricket, of which Test Matches (between 2 countries) are 'the purest'. These are generally 5 day affairs with 2 innings (if required) by each team. Often, though this is apparently reducing, the result over the 5 days can be a draw (where neither team wins!).
There are various shorter forms, of which T20 (20 6 ball overs per team), as is being played now, is probably the shortest/most aggressive. Sides in the interntional comp currently being played should be targetting around 8 per over to win, though pitch conditions could well affect that. In T20, there is always a winner!
For the above (bold) attributes, it's T20 that is the most popular form played in USA!

In spite of considerable (vast even) poverty in India, Cricket is played in many villages and talented players can become heroes/millionaires!

Similar can happen in Pakistan! In fact, there, the Prime Minister is an ex-Cricket player, having captained the national team! I doubt if anything like that could happen in USA, though the election of Ronald Reagan (X 2) and perhaps Donald Trump as President indicate that anything can happen in 'the land of opportunity'!

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Not sure where you got 4 months from ?

Test matches ( international games) are five days, county games ( domestic) are 4 days.
There are several one day competition too.
I exaggerated a tiny bit.
Baseball games take three to four hours, and people are pissed off because they used to less than take two and a half hours.

Nevertheless, thanks for the info.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Or, more likely, a Cumbria-Kiwi (we allowed to say Kiwi now?) ginger...

Not as an opener. Plus, IIRC, Stokes' recent times in international T20 are a bit so so. Unlike the West Indies (who have suffered for keeping some of their big name players on for too long) England have by hook or by crook moved away from Stokes and have better performers in that role in Livingstone and Mo Ali.

Grizzly

Visit site
Not as an opener. Plus, IIRC, Stokes' recent times in international T20 are a bit so so. Unlike the West Indies (who have suffered for keeping some of their big name players on for too long) England have by hook or by crook moved away from Stokes and have better performers in that role in Livingstone and Mo Ali.

Didn't say he would open, I said he'd be first choice for the call. They have plenty of possible openers - Jonny, Mo, Livingstone, Malan - but few proven game changers for knock out stage cricket.

Grizzly

Visit site
Bring in Stokes and move Bairstow up to open the batting. That’ll give cover for bowling and increase the run rate?

Aye. I might consider another change with it and swap Billings in for Malan. Stokes could then bat in that role at three where he has a bit of time to build, with Livingstone, Morgan, Ali and Billings to do the hitting after.

D

Deleted member 3432

Bravo New Zealand! :D(y)(y)(y)

Number of T20 World Cups won by India since the IPL began: 0. Just a reminder for next time you are told that it's the best T20 league in the world.

The kiwi's just go about winning games in such a low key way. The skipper is probably the best batter in the game currently but you wouldn't know it, just goes about his job without fuss unlike the Indian captain acting like the big I am.....

Nice to see, just need Pakistan to send the two Aussie clowns home next week.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Bravo New Zealand! :D(y)(y)(y)

Number of T20 World Cups won by India since the IPL began: 0. Just a reminder for next time you are told that it's the best T20 league in the world.

It's the best T20 league in the world because of the foreign players so I'm not sure what your point is? :unsure:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Dan Roan
@danroan
Lord Patel: “I want to announce the first vital step. We’ve settled the employment tribunal case with Azeem Rafiq. The settlement does not involve a non disclosure agreement. We’ve apologised for previously making that demand. He’ll be free to talk about his experiences publicly.

“We’re setting up an independent whistleblowing hotline ASAP…will provide us with important data so we can begin to make improvements that are desperately needed. Will allow any who felt intimidated to come forward in a safe space..

“Third - we’re setting up a review of processes and procedures around reporting of abuse, discrimination or bullying of any kind. Our fans need to trust we’re fit for purpose.
“Fourth - I’ve shared the full report with Azeem’s lawyers, the ECB, the chair of the DCMS Cttee”

“I’ve learned members of staff here at Headingley have been hassled and have received death threats and I condemn that.
Have had conversations with ECB about restoration of international hosting rights. We will have to regain trust before that happens…