2019 Cricket

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What a batting performance

Just a shame he couldn't get that last shot away to get the ton. Like others while I can get by on the crash bang wallop of T20 for me the test match is the only real form of the game. I don't mind a 50 over per side game as there is enough time for players to build an innings or a bowler to find a vein of form. T20 is fun but not proper cricket

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s decent enough to watch , enjoy going to watch at the ground , finals day is a decent day out and it’s certainty does show a lot of pure power and a good amount of skill.

Test cricket is clearly the pinnacle and imo the introduction of T20 has improved test cricket a touch with a good number of attacking players arriving .

Still enjoy a good day out at the Oval for a ODI

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It’s decent enough to watch , enjoy going to watch at the ground , finals day is a decent day out and it’s certainty does show a lot of pure power and a good amount of skill.

Test cricket is clearly the pinnacle and imo the introduction of T20 has improved test cricket a touch with a good number of attacking players arriving .

Still enjoy a good day out at the Oval for a ODI

has it? cant say im convinced thats true, albeit a lot of the powers that be want it to be true

its marginalised tests within the calendar, removed some players from test cricket, and is close to removing some countries from test cricket!

its increased run rates, but also increased batsmen just giving it away for no reason, far fewer players have the skill and mindset to bat for long period of times and if the ball moves about at all the majority of batsmen are just walking wickets (so exacerbate that by playing even more shots)

the majority of quicks now struggle to bowl a test match length (or with any patience and plan to work a batsman out because they dont have to) and a lot of the spinners bowl faster, flatter and fuller with less guile, drift or spin

slip fielding has got worse (as its a little practised skill), ground fielding is definitely one area that has improved ill give it that

ill take a world Xi from 10-20 years ago against the current one over a test series thats for sure

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Wish there was proper cricket on this tour and not just the rubbish short formats
what would be the point you were humped last time, i think this hit a giggle are a chance for SA to get some results off the back of what a good game they talk despite being humpedin most formats..... on 2nd thoughts maybe not:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I just came here for the benefits and the free healthcare. ?

There are constants ads on the Radio that are telling you to check if you can continue to do that after 31st dec... If you break any rules, you will be referred upstairs to the PRS - Preeti Review System.. and currently it only says 'Out'

india-drs-1.jpg

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
has it? cant say im convinced thats true, albeit a lot of the powers that be want it to be true

its marginalised tests within the calendar, removed some players from test cricket, and is close to removing some countries from test cricket!

its increased run rates, but also increased batsmen just giving it away for no reason, far fewer players have the skill and mindset to bat for long period of times and if the ball moves about at all the majority of batsmen are just walking wickets (so exacerbate that by playing even more shots)

the majority of quicks now struggle to bowl a test match length (or with any patience and plan to work a batsman out because they dont have to) and a lot of the spinners bowl faster, flatter and fuller with less guile, drift or spin

slip fielding has got worse (as its a little practised skill), ground fielding is definitely one area that has improved ill give it that

ill take a world Xi from 10-20 years ago against the current one over a test series thats for sure

Can't argue with any of the points you made. Bowlers struggle to tie an end down and it seems from the first delivery the openers want to be scoring. There are some real grinders left in the game, Steve Smith perhaps the best of the lot. The fact that a test barely lasts four days a lot of the time is testament to the more one day style of play.

D

Deleted member 15344

All depends on how you want to look at for improvements - skill level , or excitement

Test cricket over the years have got a bit more exciting and for a lot of reasons why you prob don’t think it’s improved - the likes of Boycott will hate it because it’s not pure but at times at sport needs to be a more exciting.

The shorten formats have certainly helped bring money into the coffers to keep the county game going.

It’s not going to be everyone’s cup of tea but its a shortened format of a sport thah works very well

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
All depends on how you want to look at for improvements - skill level , or excitement

Test cricket over the years have got a bit more exciting and for a lot of reasons why you prob don’t think it’s improved - the likes of Boycott will hate it because it’s not pure but at times at sport needs to be a more exciting.

The shorten formats have certainly helped bring money into the coffers to keep the county game going.

It’s not going to be everyone’s cup of tea but its a shortened format of a sport thah works very well

so standards have been reduced to make it more exciting (to some), i can see why some might think thats an improvement but not for me

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
so standards have been reduced to make it more exciting (to some), i can see why some might think thats an improvement but not for me

The value of runs and wickets has been devalued by the amount of T20 played. Batters score more runs on flatter decks with boundaries barely beyond the edge of the square whilst bowlers claim wickets easily because batters are forced to chase quick runs. Meanwhile, somewhere amidst it all the acceptable threshold for a decent economy rate soared beyond six an over. Too often franchise leagues are about a handful of superstars clouting bang average bowlers into the stands or claiming cheap wickets. The problem with these leagues is that there is no definable standard as no league can get the best players together all at once or use them all at once. Not even the IPL as each team can only field a certain number of overseas players and Pakistani players are not part of the league.

Apparently the game is better for it. Would Football be better with bigger goalposts and more goals? Would golf be better with larger holes? I think better actually means richer.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The value of runs and wickets has been devalued by the amount of T20 played. Batters score more runs on flatter decks with boundaries barely beyond the edge of the square whilst bowlers claim wickets easily because batters are forced to chase quick runs. Meanwhile, somewhere amidst it all the acceptable threshold for a decent economy rate soared beyond six an over. Too often franchise leagues are about a handful of superstars clouting bang average bowlers into the stands or claiming cheap wickets. The problem with these leagues is that there is no definable standard as no league can get the best players together all at once or use them all at once. Not even the IPL as each team can only field a certain number of overseas players and Pakistani players are not part of the league.

Apparently the game is better for it. Would Football be better with bigger goalposts and more goals? Would golf be better with larger holes? I think better actually means richer.

I think the IPL the Indian talent by restricting the number of overseas players on the field. It has led to the discovery of a lot of exciting talent. Bhumra was discovered by IPL and then made the Indian debut. Otherwise the rich clubs would just buy the next trophy. (Unpopular opinion) I think there is something that the premier league missed out and we see the big 6 edging everyone out by sheer money muscle.

Not letting Pakistani players is a political question. They used to be in the IPL opening season before Pak decided to undertake military adventures into India

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the IPL the Indian talent by restricting the number of overseas players on the field. It has led to the discovery of a lot of exciting talent. Bhumra was discovered by IPL and then made the Indian debut. Otherwise the rich clubs would just buy the next trophy. (Unpopular opinion) I think there is something that the premier league missed out and we see the big 6 edging everyone out by sheer money muscle.

Not letting Pakistani players is a political question. They used to be in the IPL opening season before Pak decided to undertake military adventures into India

Restricted by how badly the teams recruit their overseas players too (massive over dependence on Aussie players from Aussie coaches not to mention overvalued Saffers and English). Sure I read somewhere 5 of the top 8 T20 batters in the world rankings werent at the the IPL this year for various reasons, not all as straightforward as they should be

As for thinking the IPL isnt as commercially and money driven as the Premier League, just lol