GM Forum Matchplay Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good shout Birchy.

I 'get' the idea of waiting until the semi-finalists are known but it scares the bejebus out of me not having everything organised in advance so that everyone knows the state of play from day one.

We're nearly all set then. Here's my provisional rules of competition then: let's get this ironed out within the next 24 hours.

-£5 non-returnable entry fee by PayPal or bank transfer. Entrants to provide full name, handicap and home/home club postcode
-All the draws for each round would pair competitors based on location (unless both competitors can agree to another venue)
-Ties will be played in matchplay format using full handicaps
-Ties to be played on a course as equidistant from each pair as possible
-The first person drawn will be the challenger and in the event of not being able to mutually agree a date or venue, the challenger will set the venue and offer 3 dates. If the person who is challenged cannot make any of these, then the challenger will receive a bye into the next round
-The challenger is responsible for booking the venue for their tie
-Use of home clubs is encouraged, subject to both competitors' agreement. If no agreement made, then equidistant course to be selected.
-Any disagreements regarding dates will be settled by competition organiser(s) whose decision is final
-50% of entry fees will be split between semi-finalists to help with travel costs
-The remaining 50% of fees will be split evenly between the finalists to help with travel costs
-Ideally, a forum meet will also take place on the Final day, subject to availability. **The date of the final will be arranged following completion of the quarter finals and will be set in a location and on a date suited by winning quarter finalists.

Round One- To be played by the end of August 2014
Round Two- To be played by the end of October 2014
Round Three- To be played by the end January 2015
Round Four- To be played by 15th March 2015
Quarter Final- To be played by end of April 2015
Semi Final- To be played by the end of May 2015
Final- Date TBC** (June/July 2015)

Any amendments which people strongly feel are necessary, please comment now.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
my only real issue is playing over the winter.

Solution?

I have no issues playing a £5 comp in the winter. I know of plenty of courses open during the winter and I'd welcome some competitive golf over this period- on the understanding that winter golf requires waterproofs, bearing the cold, understanding that courses aren't in their best condition and a pinch of good humour.

Would playing in a round between October and January stop anyone else from joining in (bearing in mind that only 25% of entrants will be still in the competition at this stage)?

Last edited:

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
hi,

Looks good Dave - I think the parentheses in the second point "(unless both competitors can agree to another venue)" not meant to be there. ??

Do you need /want to put anything in about 'unofficial' handicaps if only for the avoidance of doubt? I'm relaxed about it but others may not be.

Re winter: If my counting is right there is room in Dave's scheme for 128 players - I doubt we'll get that many - if we get less that 64 we could merge the two winter periods into one - surely we can find a day for one game between 1 Nov and 15th March.

cheers
Ian

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Solution?

I have no issues playing a £5 comp in the winter. I know of plenty of courses open during the winter and I'd welcome some competitive golf over this period- on the understanding that winter golf requires waterproofs, bearing the cold, understanding that courses aren't in their best condition and a pinch of good humour.

Would playing in a round between October and January stop anyone else from joining in (bearing in mind that only 25% of entrants will be still in the competition at this stage)?

i suppose it would only effect me and anyone else north of the central belt.

Would it not make more sense to have this during the golfing season April though to Oct, more daylight and chances to play games at night, so more acc to courses etc? esp as it will be dark by 3-4pm so getting on a course on a sat or sunday esp if everyone else wants to play then?

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good point. What about people who don't have an official CONGU handicap? Are they still allowed to enter? Doesn't affect me, but it may affect others.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
my only real issue is playing over the winter.

the easiest way around this is to play your 3rd round match asap beginning of novemeber and 4th round match as late as possible back end of march you are missing out most of winter anyways then.

looks good virtuocity only question why 15th march and not end? as per other deadlines

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i suppose it would only effect me and anyone else north of the central belt.

Would it not make more sense to have this during the golfing season April though to Oct, more daylight and chances to play games at night, so more acc to courses etc? esp as it will be dark by 3-4pm so getting on a course on a sat or sunday esp if everyone else wants to play then?

By holding the comp between April and Oct, we're already nearly half way through this year therefore we'd have to start in 2015?

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
looks good virtuocity only question why 15th march and not end? as per other deadlines

So that there is a month and a half gap between the 4th round and the quarter final, giving plenty of time to organise ties amongst other commitments and taking into account potentially difficult weather conditions and last-minute cancellations.

That's my thinking anyway!

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
As for Official Handicaps, the large majority of forum users have one or at least have a very good grasp of their abilities. Crikey, there's plenty of those playing off official handicaps which don't do justice to their standard of play.

In the interest of being inclusive- keeping with the ethos of the GM Forum- whilst also recognising that this just a bit of fun, I'd be happy to allow those without official handicaps to enter. I would invite those without an official handicap to contact me and certainly your drawn opponent in advance to ensure that everything is fair and above board prior to their tie.

As a sub-note, if I found out that anyone was playing off a dodgy unofficial handicap or had strong suspicions of it, this would be the last involvement that I would have in any forum-led competitions.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
As for Official Handicaps, the large majority of forum users have one or at least have a very good grasp of their abilities. Crikey, there's plenty of those playing off official handicaps which don't do justice to their standard of play.

In the interest of being inclusive- keeping with the ethos of the GM Forum- whilst also recognising that this just a bit of fun, I'd be happy to allow those without official handicaps to enter. I would invite those without an official handicap to contact me and certainly your drawn opponent in advance to ensure that everything is fair and above board prior to their tie.

As a sub-note, if I found out that anyone was playing off a dodgy unofficial handicap or had strong suspicions of it, this would be the last involvement that I would have in any forum-led competitions.

good call, now did i mention i have quite my club and my new golf shake handicap is 33;)

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

After entering KoK last year, I was told my unofficial handicap wouldn't be accepted if I were to win my qualifier. I had an unofficial handicap of 19. I've now an official one of 22. No probs, joined a tough course and the card being in your hand can add some pressure to the game.

Now I've got one, I'm not sure that not having one is fair. Especially if someone were to make one slightly higher than it should be - no good finding out on finals day when he or she has shot 5 under in the previous 4 rounds...

I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting official handicaps to count but it wouldn't put me off playing. Just sayin'! :D

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After entering KoK last year, I was told my unofficial handicap wouldn't be accepted if I were to win my qualifier. I had an unofficial handicap of 19. I've now an official one of 22. No probs, joined a tough course and the card being in your hand can add some pressure to the game.

Now I've got one, I'm not sure that not having one is fair. Especially if someone were to make one slightly higher than it should be - no good finding out on finals day when he or she has shot 5 under in the previous 4 rounds...

I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting official handicaps to count but it wouldn't put me off playing. Just sayin'! :D

As much as it pains me and the desire to include everyone, handicap golf being what it is, it only takes one person who with the best will in the world who states they are off a certain level to have a red letter day, to suddenly be branded a bandit etc. Handicaps certainly aren't full proof and always subject to scrutiny, but at least they provide a benchmark to work from.

Status
Not open for further replies.