GM Forum Matchplay Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll let this thread run its course. It gives a good indication of interest. Starting a list now involves a certain degree of commitment from those who put their name down and the nature of life is that lots of people will be waiting to see if others commit by actually putting their £5 in. Thus, if I start a list and people don't put their name down initially, it may shake the confidence of others.

A 'build it and they will come' approach is what generally works with these things.

Keep the ideas coming but from what I've read everyone seems reasonably happy with my suggested format.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'll let this thread run its course. It gives a good indication of interest. Starting a list now involves a certain degree of commitment from those who put their name down and the nature of life is that lots of people will be waiting to see if others commit by actually putting their £5 in. Thus, if I start a list and people don't put their name down initially, it may shake the confidence of others.

A 'build it and they will come' approach is what generally works with these things.

Keep the ideas coming but from what I've read everyone seems reasonably happy with my suggested format.

Are you planning on any tweaks to format based on whats been posted so far? Maybe worth setting a deadline for "comments" and then post a paypal addy and a closing date :)

Fish

Banned
Visit site

Can I suggest that when you start a list, people put their name down followed by their town/city & county, this way you'll get a good idea of regional divisions and save a lot of time asking everyone later :mmm:

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would definitely be interested in this, even though my only venture in Matchplay has so far resulted in 1 match 1 loss.
What do you mean when you state:

-Ties to be played on a course as equidistant from each pair as possible

and then say

-Use of home clubs is encouraged, subject to both competitors' agreement

Are you saying, equidistant from where people live, but will hopefully be at one of the home courses of one of the players? If it is on the home course, doesn't that offer an unfair advantage to that person?

One format query is I'm not sure playing the semi and final/3rd place play off on same day is a good idea? Not a deal breaker though.

Only other thing I would add is how about upping the entry fee to £10 and putting £5 towards a charity chosen by the winner?

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would definitely be interested in this, even though my only venture in Matchplay has so far resulted in 1 match 1 loss.
What do you mean when you state:

-Ties to be played on a course as equidistant from each pair as possible

and then say

-Use of home clubs is encouraged, subject to both competitors' agreement

Are you saying, equidistant from where people live, but will hopefully be at one of the home courses of one of the players? If it is on the home course, doesn't that offer an unfair advantage to that person?

One format query is I'm not sure playing the semi and final/3rd place play off on same day is a good idea? Not a deal breaker though.

Only other thing I would add is how about upping the entry fee to £10 and putting £5 towards a charity chosen by the winner?

To explain, ties should be played in a venue close enough to both competitors. If someone is willing to host the tie at their home club then naturally this would be a nice cheap option. However, if you or anyone else are taking the competition so seriously as to consider 'home club advantage' as an issue then I would be happy to state that home clubs should only be used if both competitors are in agreement.

As for the semi finals, I know what you're saying but I'm sure that people are capable of playing a couple of friendly rounds in a day, particularly in match play format. We'd do one early round, lunch then a PM round.
creating a good finals day is always a decent idea because local forumers will no doubt want to arrange a game at that venue on that date if possible.

As for. Hadith, a noble idea but we already have H4H. I'd much rather that people contribute all they can to this and keep his camp cheap and cheerful.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To explain, ties should be played in a venue close enough to both competitors. If someone is willing to host the tie at their home club then naturally this would be a nice cheap option. However, if you or anyone else are taking the competition so seriously as to consider 'home club advantage' as an issue then I would be happy to state that home clubs should only be used if both competitors are in agreement.

As for the semi finals, I know what you're saying but I'm sure that people are capable of playing a couple of friendly rounds in a day, particularly in match play format. We'd do one early round, lunch then a PM round.
creating a good finals day is always a decent idea because local forumers will no doubt want to arrange a game at that venue on that date if possible.

As for. Hadith, a noble idea but we already have H4H. I'd much rather that people contribute all they can to this and keep his camp cheap and cheerful.

Happy with all your responses. As I said, just some comments and certainly not a deal breaker for me! The way I play round my home course I'd rather play somewhere else TBH! ha!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Well you rule me out, and Im certain im not the only one on that basis.

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Is it worth trying to include the concept of regional days? I'm thinking of some sort of first-round day on a regional basis where we all still play singles matchplay but we meet up as a group. One of the best bits about KoKs was that every qualifier was a meet, so I got to play with a lot of different forummers. With this, if I play crap (unlikely of course, but it has been known :whistle:) then I only get to meet one person.

Some people struggled with the fixed dates for the king of kings days, I know, so maybe don't make it mandatory but fix a date and location ahead of the draw and then invite people to play their first round match on that day. Anyone who can't make it can play separately as they would do anyway, and if there's a group of people then you have the ability for non-entrants to come along and just treat it as a meet.

D

Deleted member 15344

Is it worth trying to include the concept of regional days? I'm thinking of some sort of first-round day on a regional basis where we all still play singles matchplay but we meet up as a group. One of the best bits about KoKs was that every qualifier was a meet, so I got to play with a lot of different forummers. With this, if I play crap (unlikely of course, but it has been known :whistle:) then I only get to meet one person.

Some people struggled with the fixed dates for the king of kings days, I know, so maybe don't make it mandatory but fix a date and location ahead of the draw and then invite people to play their first round match on that day. Anyone who can't make it can play separately as they would do anyway, and if there's a group of people then you have the ability for non-entrants to come along and just treat it as a meet.

I like that idea :thup:

Status
Not open for further replies.