GM Forum Matchplay Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think Dave has struck the right balance between the competing influences/restrictions which have all been done to death so please not again.

By starting in the summer and running over to next May we have ample time to get the games played for each round - after all the frenzy of other matchplay comps are all occurring around now.

His suggestion :

"All the draws for each round would pair competitors based on location (unless both competitors can agree to another venue)"

I take to mean Dave will look at the competitors in each given round and pair folks up as best he can to minimise travel time for everyone. So the draw is not strictly random but instead is sensible - which I prefer.

By the time the quarters come around those left in the comp know they are likely to have a few hours travelling to contend with. If they don't like it or can't do it - they withdraw, or maybe offer their slot to their defeated opponent in the last round. - it's not the Olympics. The £5 entry fee makes this not too painful.

So for that reason Dave - I'm in.

One bad scenario would be say only two Scots enter - then after round 1 they have to travel far for every round if they keep winning. The solution to this is for many folks to enter in each region
:D

The finals might be played at Nairn gc, just to keep Patrick happy.:rofl:

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think Dave has struck the right balance between the competing influences/restrictions which have all been done to death so please not again.

By starting in the summer and running over to next May we have ample time to get the games played for each round - after all the frenzy of other matchplay comps are all occurring around now.

His suggestion :

"All the draws for each round would pair competitors based on location (unless both competitors can agree to another venue)"

I take to mean Dave will look at the competitors in each given round and pair folks up as best he can to minimise travel time for everyone. So the draw is not strictly random but instead is sensible - which I prefer.

By the time the quarters come around those left in the comp know they are likely to have a few hours travelling to contend with. If they don't like it or can't do it - they withdraw, or maybe offer their slot to their defeated opponent in the last round. - it's not the Olympics. The £5 entry fee makes this not too painful.

So for that reason Dave - I'm in.

One bad scenario would be say only two Scots enter - then after round 1 they have to travel far for every round if they keep winning. The solution to this is for many folks to enter in each region
:D!

Ian- you've hit the nail on the head with all your points.

I'm confident that I would be able to run it quite easily- all I need is the numbers (and your fivers :p).

Bear in mind- 75% of the people who enter this competition will not play more than twice over the course of nearly a year!!! For those who do better and go further, like Ian says- either travel the required distance or give up your place which means you lose- eek- £5 :D

Draws will be completely fixed. You will play the guy/girl who lives closest to you in the first round (unless you get a bye), and the second round and so on and so forth. The only random element of the 'draw' will be to see who is the 'challenger'.

Keep the (nice and calm) thoughts coming folks.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wont be much travelling for me then as I doubt I will be able to win my way out of the north west. Its like the wild ***king west around here :rofl:

D

Deleted member 15344

Yeah I'll give it a bash - certainly agree with the regions earlier on

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If were gonna do it do it, dont see a lot of pointing in faffing for 9 months talking about it personally. Set a date for entries, see how many are interested, if it works it works if not then tweak it for next yr

I agree - even if a small event runs it would obviously be of interest to those who put their name in the hat and any experiences good or bad could support planning for a bigger / better event next year.

In terms of logistics for Scots based folk- so far I see potentially Patrick@Nairn, Myself in Aberdeenshire, williamalex1@uddingston, Ian G @North Berwick, did I miss any.....

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
i agree - even if a small event runs it would obviously be of interest to those who put their name in the hat and any experiences good or bad could support planning for a bigger / better event next year.

In terms of logistics for scots based folk- so far i see potentially patrick@nairn, myself in aberdeenshire, williamalex1@uddingston, ian g @north berwick, did i miss any.....
willie p , hamilton, maybe- ger 147 Cumbernauld, Virtuocity Galston, David ??? north berwick ?, most of the Scottish guys who were at St Andrews koks.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
willie p , hamilton, maybe- ger 147 Cumbernauld, Virtuocity Galston, David ??? north berwick ?, most of the Scottish guys who were at St Andrews koks.

There's a couple of Guys in this part of the world that have posted a couple of times but can't remember the UN, be nice if they took part.

D

Deleted member 15344

What would be the HC allowance ?

3/4 the difference ?

Full difference max of 18 ?

If any ladies would like to play which card do you use and any extra shots ?

Just a few little nif naf questions

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd suggest it would also be worth adding that in arranging a tie there would be an expectation that the financial burden (petrol, green fees, visitor fees etc) would be roughly equitably shared. This can be done between the players but it is worth flagging up the expectation that this would be the norm.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
What would be the HC allowance ?

3/4 the difference ?

Full difference max of 18 ?

If any ladies would like to play which card do you use and any extra shots ?

Just a few little nif naf questions

Should be as per the rules of golf, singles is full handicap and full difference

C

c1973

I could be interested, I'll wait till there's meat on the bones before committing though.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd suggest it would also be worth adding that in arranging a tie there would be an expectation that the financial burden (petrol, green fees, visitor fees etc) would be roughly equitably shared. This can be done between the players but it is worth flagging up the expectation that this would be the norm.

I would like to hope that this would be done as a matter of course, I certainly would if I was playing an inter-club match or something. For example, if I was playing at my home course, I'd certainly pay the visitor fee and if they have travelled a long way, I'd be more than happy to offer some petrol money towards it.

It's not something I'd look to enforce via competition rules as it would become quite messy but given the relationship between forum users, I would trust that compensations would be made, particularly if one party were looking to travel further than the other, and definitely if the challenger is hosting the match at their club, or at a club they can get their own discount at.

Status
Not open for further replies.