GM Forum Matchplay Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As much as it pains me and the desire to include everyone, handicap golf being what it is, it only takes one person who with the best will in the world who states they are off a certain level to have a red letter day, to suddenly be branded a bandit etc. Handicaps certainly aren't full proof and always subject to scrutiny, but at least they provide a benchmark to work from.

Agree with the above.

I just think that it can lead to problems, I can understand the “inclusive” mentality, but if 97% of entrants have not only an active official handicap, but a handicap that is subject to change over the course of that year…….. versus …….. someone who hits about 95 on average with their mates, plays off 25 (as they don’t adjust for double bogeys) and doesn’t have their handicap changed during the course of this comp, is treated the same.

Golf is one of the few “handicap” sports, there is already enough moaning about bandits and cheats with handicaps, without being left open to ones without.

I would still enter, no matter, but that would be my view on it.

Good work again, Dave.

Agree with the venue being sorted later on, once it reaches the final stages.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep, me. But I do have every round I've played in the last 3 years put into Golf Shake which gives me a handicap of 18.1. Would be happy for my first round opponent to view the stats before I lose to them.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yep, me. But I do have every round I've played in the last 3 years put into Golf Shake which gives me a handicap of 18.1. Would be happy for my first round opponent to view the stats before I lose to them.

If you don't have a handicap, does that not mean you have to play off scratch???;)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Anyone want to argue that Colchester does not deserve to be included in this competition? I think everyone knows where I stand.

You have to make a blanket decision, I understand both Liverbirdies and Colchesters sides and there is merit to both, however, you cannot look at this on an individual basis, I think you just need to make a decision across the board and put it to bed.

I don't think we have any real Tom Muldoons amongst us and if we did, they'll be outed pretty quick and like in the Trilby, why not cut them internally if they come in with something outrageous in a round?

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
My passiveness and willingness to create a competition which is 'owned' by the forum rather than 'run by that virtuocity guy' is what holds me back from making blanket choices, but as we saw with KoKs it was only by doing so that things got a move on.

I was described as William Hunt during this assertive phase!

OK- I'm happy to allow those with unofficial handicaps to enter on the proviso that:

a) they contact me prior to sending entry fee
b) they are able to provide a reasonable record of recent scores

I think that irons out everything and I'll move this on to the next phase.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
My passiveness and willingness to create a competition which is 'owned' by the forum rather than 'run by that virtuocity guy' is what holds me back from making blanket choices, but as we saw with KoKs it was only by doing so that things got a move on.

OK- I'm happy to allow those with unofficial handicaps to enter on the proviso that:

:thup:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
my only real issue is playing over the winter.

seconded, all national comps with hundreds of entrants are all played over Summer- the Nike doesnt even start till June and its all over by October with suitable time for each round.

Winter golf sucks!

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Good choice , almost feel sorry for raising it - but better aired & put to bed now than when a specific person is involved.

Now I just need to get a Muirfield member to enter so my first round tie can be played there :)

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good choice , almost feel sorry for raising it - but better aired & put to bed now than when a specific person is involved.

Not at all Ian, it was a good point and I hope that whilst maintaining the ethos of 'inclusion' I have done all I can do to alleviate any concerns about 'banditry' (to use a strong phrase) by asking those without a handicap to show me some recent scores.

I'm going to ask the mods to close this thread and I'll start a new sign-up one.

Status
Not open for further replies.