GM Forum Matchplay Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Any progress on this at all?

Lots of progress.

Only sticking point I see is whether there should be a semi final and final on the same day.

The disadvantage of just having the final on one day is that it may mean a long bit of travel for both the semi final AND the final instead of one big commitment to travel to play two ties on the same day.

However, if everyone is committed to doing a bit of travelling (there should be enough entry money in the pot to pay out cash to semi-finalists) then this would work out fine.

So- I put it to everyone on the forum..... semi-final and final on the same day or separate?

Any other points of debate still welcome.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Separate for me , but i probably won't get that far. Why not play the early ties first, THEN LET THOSE INVOLVED IN THE LATTER STAGES DECIDE BY A VOTE. sorry for the caps

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Separate, wouldn't want to think I'd have to play 36 competitive holes in 1-day, would also feel like playing Wembley in a semi and then going back to the final, its lost its oomph, if you know what I mean :mmm:

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can you do the semi and final over a weekend? Say somewhere like Woodhall Spa or similar sort of resort

Again, as long as semi finalists are prepared to commit to a weekend out of their lives then that sounds perfect.

Saying that, it could be a case that if the final is in the summer next year that the semis could be played around 4pm or 5pm followed by the final at 10am the next morning which means cutting down on time away from family etc.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Again, as long as semi finalists are prepared to commit to a weekend out of their lives then that sounds perfect.

Saying that, it could be a case that if the final is in the summer next year that the semis could be played around 4pm or 5pm followed by the final at 10am the next morning which means cutting down on time away from family etc.

My god, its only 48hrs (1 night) away, too much pandering IMO, I'd earmark a resort style venue that has 2 courses and have the semi-finals go out around lunchtime allowing for travel on 1 course and the final first thing in the morning on the better of the 2 courses.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't try to make a big event of the semi's nor the final, certainly not ahead of the finalists being decided. I know we can all travel, but when Patrick, Dave, Williamlex1 and Valentino are all in the semi's, they're going to regret choosing Woodhall Spa rather than Kingsbarns for the final. The scheme Dave first proposed for the earlier rounds is a good one. Simply let the protagonists make their own arrangements. This is (IMHO) the best way of ensuring that the most matches get played without any withdrawals.

Just my tuppence worth- other opinions are available.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would suggest over 2 days. Don't mind if it is over a weekend, although that may be difficult to juggle with 4 people in finding a suitable weekend depending on what people work/family commitments etc. TBH it is probably easier to just leave it for the final 4 to decide. It won't affect most of us and if the final 4 are all happy to get it done over one day, then why not?!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't try to make a big event of the semi's nor the final, certainly not ahead of the finalists being decided. I know we can all travel, but when Patrick, Dave, Williamlex1 and Valentino are all in the semi's, they're going to regret choosing Woodhall Spa rather than Kingsbarns for the final. The scheme Dave first proposed for the earlier rounds is a good one. Simply let the protagonists make their own arrangements. This is (IMHO) the best way of ensuring that the most matches get played without any withdrawals.

Good idea, let the guys who get to the semi decide.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
FWIW I would have the semi finals at neutral course equal distance between the two contenders in each tie. Would still draw the semis off location as well to cut down travelling.

Then just have the final on the one day, I reckon more people would go to that.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure if the resort type courses do a "Sunday driver" offer on bank holiday weekends but might be a cheaper way to do the semi and final and without the need to take a day off work. I know a lot of people (myself included) don't always get bank holidays off but might help a few people especially if it became a forum meet for finals weekend.

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Separate for me , but i probably won't get that far. Why not play the early ties first, THEN LET THOSE INVOLVED IN THE LATTER STAGES DECIDE BY A VOTE. sorry for the caps

I too agree with this - given the time frames being discussed to complete its perfectly achievable to re-evaluate and open discussions once the quarter-finalists are known - just as long as all those involved at the commencement (round 1) accept that a majority vote between organisers and competitors would rule the roost(?), should they still be involved.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
if the 4 semi finalists live a long way apart from each other, then both on one day would make cut down travelling, I think its best to wait and see who will be involved before deciding.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
FWIW I would have the semi finals at neutral course equal distance between the two contenders in each tie. Would still draw the semis off location as well to cut down travelling.

Then just have the final on the one day, I reckon more people would go to that.

:thup:

Lesser of a lot of evils.

Status
Not open for further replies.