Day Night Test Match

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
So it's finally arrived. The first Day/Night test on English soil taking place at Edgbaston from today.

England go up against what is considered to be a pretty ordinary West Indian team. Kicks off at 2pm and scheduled to finish at 9pm. 'Lunch' break from 4pm - 4.40pm and 'Tea' from 6.40pm - 7pm.

Now England don't normally have a problem with filling test grounds compared to many other nations where crowds of just 1000 for a days play are not uncommon. So surely this is a bit of overkill to get the crowds in. Perhaps the lesser caliber of the opposition is the reason this fixture was chosen as attendance would be down on an Ashes/India/SA test?

Also, why not play these 'late' start tests in June when the sun stays up longer and you wouldn't even need the lights? We have finished club matches at 8.30 fairly often and there was still enough light for another hours play. Surely this would be an option?

So is this a gimmick? Is test cricket on the wane in favour of shorter formats?

I am actually looking forward to it and hope that the series isn't as one sided as it's shaping up to be.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Definitley looking forward to see how it goes. It will make a nice change being able to watch more than a few overs after finishing work. Was speaking to someone the other day who has played with the pink ball, apparently it moves around a lot more than the red ball for some reason so could be interesting later on when the light fades and the dew starts to settle

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can certainly see how it would appeal to the after work crowd and would help with attendances at the less popular matches. I do worry that it could become a bit of a lottery for spells in the match and so could lead to distorted matches. Worth a bash though.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
as you say the UK has no problem on the whole selling test cricket, but the ROTW crowds are not existent particular the sub continent. so makes sense there. I understand its been a success in Aus too with some of their big capacity grounds.

great for some places where its getting dark at 5 or 6 in the evening

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Should we be going hard for 75 overs to be bowled out and let them bat the 15 overs in the gloom. Quick 350 and have them 30/4 overnight ;) Be interesting to see if the ball does do more in the evening sessions if teams do start to react strategically

For someone like me who watches and trades on most games, the change in hours for everywhere bar games over here and NZ will be more sociable, especially those in India. Does feel like they are messing about a bit with a format to make it more popular in places where thats just not going to happen sadly

D

Deleted member 18588

Outside of the Ashes ticket sales for Tests outside London have been disappointing for a number of years.

Therefore the day/night format has got to be worth a try.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Amazing how quickly the ball has stopped moving around. Goes sideways for 15 overs and then gunbarrell straight. Pitch is great for batting now.

listening to those who have played with it before, not only that it also goes very soft, which cant be a good thing

this WI attack looks very ordinary on a flat deck here, lets hope it does a bit under lights!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
listening to those who have played with it before, not only that it also goes very soft, which cant be a good thing

this WI attack looks very ordinary on a flat deck here, lets hope it does a bit under lights!

i think that was the Kookaburra ball this one is trialing the duke ball

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i think that was the Kookaburra ball this one is trialing the duke ball

ah ok, article I read talked about them not being able to put the same lacquer on it as it reacts with the pigment in the dye which made it harder to shine and could lead to a softer surface. not sure which was about tho

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nick Compton scored a 100 against the pink ball and he said it is mischievous for the first 15 overs but then stays straight. He did also say that in his game the spinners got a lot out of it so that may be something teams have to think about in selection. Clearly that is wicket dependent as well but the ball itself will grip.

At the moment England are not breaking into a sweat. Easy runs out there, great for your average.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am all for giving this a try. If it doesn't work after two or three matches, then scrap the idea. But to try and make a judgement after one session or one day is not realistic. Cricket has to evolve and Test Match formats, the true life and soul of the game, has to evolve in some way too.

To be honest, the best thing to do is to get some unfortunate soul to listen to Geoff Boycott for an hour .... and then do the total opposite.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Can't believe that they didn't introduce a "twilight rate" to entice the after workers to come in. Their logic, albeit flawed in my opinion , was that some tickets were only £21 for the day so they didn't need to bother. Loads of empty seats there that could have had bums on and the spectacle added to from a TV perspective.