GMNWOOM (flatcappers) Lee Park finals day Sat 7th ## other forummers welcome ##

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hello all,

Well, many months after this was first proposed, we are very near to crowning the GM NW OOM "flatcapper" Champion.

From a kernel of an idea, to the actual finals day this week. Many, hopefully long-lasting friendships have been cemented with this taking place, and I would recommend the other areas of the UK to also do this, given the chance. We have played some cracking courses along the way, and also had a good laugh, when we've had enough of us together.

Sadly, some have fallen by the wayside, due to injury or other reasons, and I hope that if this is done again, that them people may be able to compete next year, and hope the injured get well very soon.

Although this was my original idea, it was greatly shaped and the rough edges knocked off by Scott (Birchy - he's cool, you know). The amount of work he has put in to get the blog up and running, the scores collated and updated, along with also doing his course captaincy, shows we are very,very lucky to have him. He's a top, top bloke and we wouldn't be at this stage without him. A great sounding board, and always available, and above all a good friend. Cheers Birchy, I'll be the first to buy you a pint next week, and always welcome at Lee park.

Captains - thanks to you all. Sorry Yerman's course had to be pulled, due to injury - hope your getting close to playing again, and hope to see you next year. Thanks Louise for offering to step in, a shame we couldn't fit it in, but it was the right decision in the end. Junior (Andy), GJ Bike (Graham) and GregBWFC (Andy Greg) - the other forummers wont have seen most of the very hard work put in by all these guys, but as well as organising all the games/meets and opens, there were tonnes of e-mails going on in the background with regards to decisions, ideas and general chit-chat to also help in pulling this off. Thanks so much, I'll buy youse a half-pint! Honorable mention to Karl102 also, for also organising games at Lymm.

I feel like Gwyneth Paltrow!

Finals day:-

The tee is booked from 2.30, but we ideally want people there for 2.00 or before.

The address is
Lee Park Golf Club, Childwall Valley Rd, Gateacre, Liverpool L27 3YA. For people coming down the M62 or M57, it is better to come off at the crossover of the M62(junction 5) and M57. It is only 5 minutes drive from the junction, if you take the Huyton turn off, then take the back roads, through Netherley.

Although the final leaderboard is not complete yet, with hopefully some to get their final rounds in this week, we
will go out in 3 or 4 balls, 3 balls if it is busy, 4 balls if it is quiet.

Play will be from the yellow tees, as these were the tees that Junior and Karl have already played from. 7/8ths handicap as normal.

Arrival 1.30 onwards for tee and coffee, (we have rubbish praccy facilities, but we have 2 nets, a 150 yard praccy driving range (use your own balls), but a good praccy putting green.

2.30 Podgster, Peterlav ,Scouser , StuartC

2.38 (ish) Qwerty, Liverbirdie, Valentino, Greg BWFC

2.46 (ish) Louisea, GJbike, Garyinderry, Birchy

2.54 Any other forummers, who fancy a day out for £25 (golf only) or £33 including a 2 course lunch and tea and coffee.

I have had a word with the steward and he is willing to do a 2 course meal and tea/coffee on arrival. Please let me know if you want food in advance.

For this one I won't be organising a night out in Liverpool, as I am at the Old trafford 1 day international V the aussies on the Sunday. If anyone else wants to, that is fine.

I'm guessing that most are coming and going on the same day, so with this in mind, I think it would be better if we do have a 2 course meal afterwards together, to shoot the breeze, have a pint, and then do the prizegiving afterwards. This also gives time for Junior and Karl to get over from their finals day at Lymm (good luck chaps).

Food - All being well we should all be in and food will be served at 7.45.

Prizegiving - 8.30 ish.

If anyone such as Fish, NWJocko, 6inchcup, Yerman, Bluewolf, Jpenno AND ANY OTHER FORUMMERS, fancy coming, you are more than welcome, and it would be nice to see you there, but please let me know in advance and by Wednesday, ideally.

Just one final call - can people who have not completed their rounds still try to finish them this week, even if just for the banter. I don't expect the captains to be available, but if they aren't, again, as long as you play with another forummer, that is fine.
The course is playing great at the moment, and our finals day is the day after, so hopefully it will be in tip-top condition!

See you all next Saturday. ######### DON'T FORGET YOUR FLAT CAPS #############
:thup:

Peter

Last edited:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hear Hear mate. Great post. Possibly the worst thing about my injury was missing this comp, and you can be absolutely certain that I'll be playing in it next year. Might even throw the new course in the ring as a possible venue...:thup:

Quite sad that I won't be able to make it over for the presentation either. Work has called and I'll need to be on the road for 6'ish, and at the speed you guys play, you'll still be on the 14th tee!!!!;)

Well done primarily to yourself and Birchy (He's cool you know), then to all the Captains, who did a fantastic job. I watched GregBWFC stress himself into the ground that day at Preston. Also a big well done to all the players who made it what it was. Next week should be a cracker....:thup:

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Blinkin eck im welling up reading this :D

Can I just say its been fantastic meeting and playing rounds with everyone. Ive had a great laugh and have enjoyed everybodys company on all the days out we have had. Struggled to breathe a few times laughing that much on occasions which can only be good :thup:

Just on a side note thanks to Junior for popping the cork with that first meet at Formby hall. If it wasn't for him putting his neck on the line and kicking all this off then it wouldn't be what it is today.

Have a good week people, will see most of you Saturday :thup:

gjbike

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Don't think War and Peace was that long, looking forward to Saturday but working first so early start for me up at 04:15 so that my excuse if i play badly !!!!!!!!

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Morning all, I'll be down nice and sharp probably around 1ish, looking forward to seeing you all and in one place for a change. Not staying in Liverpool but heading home afterwards, no rush though, I've no plans for the Sunday anyway.

Should be a good day.

Thanks to all the captains who organised to have people play when they liked, special thanks to Karl who has hosted me at Lymm 3 times this year, really enjoy the course and company even the night in the rain when I stuck my card in.

Thanks and apologies to Birchy for almost breaking his nose and glasses at Davyhume, If I hadn't cacked my self when it happened I'd probably have burst out laughing it was such a freak accident.

Andy and Graham, your courses were in great nick, enjoyed Bolton on such a calm day, pity I had a stinker at Preston.

See you all Saturday.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Saturday will be the perfect time to discuss plans for next years too. Can people think of any ideas/changes ready for the weekend and we can chew them over while theres a few of us altogether on Saturday.

Ive had a few suggestions off people as ive hosted them etc.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its been a blast and as always ive enjoyed everones company!!!! Ive been lucky that ive had my big brother help me host people at Lymm GC.

Play well on Saturday everyone and i'll see you about 7:30 for a pint!!!!

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll probably repeat this after Saturday but LB, Birchy and the captains have done a great job pulling all this together and I think we've been really lucky playing some of the best inland courses in the NW.
Id imagine it hasn't been easy especially fitting in the evening games after work and also the travelling but one things for sure, its definately been a success
I almost wish I wasn't playing on Saturday so I could follow that final group(anyone want a caddie:D)
Thanks again Fellas, I'll see you next week.

Edit-- Does anyone else think that GM should cover next Saturday at Lee Park and put LiverBirdie on the front cover of the mag' Sporting his Flatcap :D

Last edited:

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well, I am sat here with a box of tissues... Not on unusual for me to be sat on the iPad with a box of tissues to hand :whistle:

It has been great. Met some top guys and played some top courses (badly), every time I've come off a course I would quite happily walk straight back on the first and go again!

The best thing is not only the legacy this will leave, but the fact I could call up anybody I have met on here for a knock and everybody would accommodate as best they could. I hope anybody feels that they could do the same if they fancied a game at Lymm.

Hope I can high tail it own there after my final and catch the last group coming in! Like Qwerty said, would be great to follow those guys around. They have all played some top stuff this year.

Big up to Pete and coolmanbirchy.....

Catch you Saturday....

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Huge and well deserved pat on the back to Birchy and LB for pulling it together and all of the course captains.

Shame I couldn't finish it this year but hopefully things may have settled down enough for me to take part next year as its a great way to play some really good courses with some top lads :thup:

Not sure if I can make this Saturday LB, will let you know ASAP, before Wednesday certainly. If I can't make it best of luck to all those in with a shout for winning, is LB's cap going in a frame in the lounge at Lee Park!!!??

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I play like I did the first nine today, I should get 40+ points, if its the like the second 9 then I will struggle to reach 20.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
is LB's cap going in a frame in the lounge at Lee Park!!!??

What do you all think...should the Cap come to York and whoever has the worst net round on the Saturday at Moor Allerton wear it for the 1st hour on Saturday night?? They can keep it on even longer if their enjoying the attention :D

Last edited:

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it should come to York and whoever has the worst net round on the Saturday at Moor Allerton has to wear it for the 1st hour on Saturday night?? What do you think? They can keep it on even longer if their enjoying the attention :D

Ive already got something snazzy lined up for that weekend, that hat might go well :rofl:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
What do you all think...should the Cap come to York and whoever has the worst net round on the Saturday at Moor Allerton wear it for the 1st hour on Saturday night?? They can keep it on even longer if their enjoying the attention :D

Did you really have to suggest that ?????????? :) :) :)