Thoughts on Captain's Day "issue"

D

Deleted Member 1156

(folks at my place have been known to have a bottle of bubbly or two with their breakfast! Especially if the competition is a fun team event).

Which is your course? I want to join!!

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
At ours captains day is all day no play unless your in the comp or until the last group has cleared the 2nd.
One issue with a shotgun start would be numbers? Do you play in 3 or 4 balls for comps and numbers likely to enter, if you had 2 3 balls on 14 holes and 1 on the 4 par 3's gives you 96 players is that enough for one if the highlights of the comp diary?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
At ours captains day is all day no play unless your in the comp or until the last group has cleared the 2nd.
One issue with a shotgun start would be numbers? Do you play in 3 or 4 balls for comps and numbers likely to enter, if you had 2 3 balls on 14 holes and 1 on the 4 par 3's gives you 96 players is that enough for one if the highlights of the comp diary?
We'd have teams of 4, so can get 128 players out, or 32 teams. That would be more than have played in it beforehand (we've only got 450 members in total, and at least 100 of them are 5 day!).

Scottjd1

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was wondering how long it would take you to join in!

Honestly, did you expect any different, the £ will always be priority.

I'd keep persisting though, if they want these events supported then there are time they have to give them the showcase they deserve, for one day a year they should bite the bullett, obviously if I can make a nuisance with anyone let me know, will be more than happy too.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Here is a thought you could take to the GM....
  • Buffet breakfast at 7:30
  • Shotgun start at 9am
  • Prize giving can be done soon after everyone is in.
  • Evening bash with disco/band/?? and some kind of meal (BBQ/roast hog/etc)
Club can open the course at 2pm to anyone.

The cost may be a bit higher than you had in mind, but the club would get good revenue (folks at my place have been known to have a bottle of bubbly or two with their breakfast! Especially if the competition is a fun team event).

stylish - wouldn't expect anything else TXL

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As a compromise Bratty, how about a 2 tee start? You'd get most of the 16 teams out on both tees before the other lot came round. To accommodate extra teams you could introduce a short break after 9 holes giving an opportunity for a bacon roll and a pint before going out again.

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
at my club its not just captains day its captains weekend!

friday saturday sunday job all 3 days are 3 different comps
first tee off 7am last tee off 5:30pm all 3 days

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It is about supporting the captain. If you don't want to play in it then you shouldn't be allowed to play at the time you want. To solve the issue of people leaving we have an am and pm event with prizes for both parts. The prizes are given out after the rolling buffet and the overall winner gets their prize on presentation night

Bratty

Visit site
Some great stuff here, chaps. Thanks for the input, and I certainly have some extra ammunition should I need it.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We do several shotguns a year, we double up on several tees and they always start at 8.30 and the course reopens about 1pm. I would have thought that if yours is anything like my place, the extra bar and food receipts would make it a no brainer and the course would still open pm for greenfees

Add a swear box too and with you playing that could be a valuable sourse of revenue too!

Bratty

Visit site
Hey Bratty you identified your charity for your year as Captain yet. I know a fantastic children's charity that would really welcome your support :whistle:
Hi Tiger. I have, I'm afraid. We tend to continue supporting the same charities as there are affiliations/connections with the club.

Bratty

Visit site
Add a swear box too and with you playing that could be a valuable sourse of revenue too!
There is one in the spike bar for swearing in the clubhouse. Thankfully there is not one for the course, otherwise I'd have to take up a cheaper sport... like powerboating! ;)

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Hi Tiger. I have, I'm afraid. We tend to continue supporting the same charities as there are affiliations/connections with the club.

Not to worry I am sure that it is a very worthy cause :thup:

If however you or anyone else fancies supporting a fantastic children's charity, either as a one off or as a Captains charity, you know where I am...and I guarantee we'll give you top drawer support!!!!