The Cricket Thread

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
They should have started positive. Too 4 to have a look at making it possible. You then have 6 to hold the fort if it goes all Tottenham on you.

Root is a great player but he has zero cajones

D

Deleted member 15344

What they've done to Robinson is utter ball cocks ?
Standard these days I’m afraid - people will always go searching for a skeleton

I’m more dumbfounded that someone with ECB isn’t doing these checks when players get called up

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Robinson should’ve been withdrawn from the match immediately or not suspended at all. It’s a terrible message to wait for a game to finish before suspending him.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Safety first mate! Can’t run the risk of going for it and then relying on Stuart “the bunny” broad to shut up shop

A bit disappointing from England. It may be a good result from an optics pov, but what has Eng got to lose by going for it. The Test WC is not in play, so why not try a different approach for this series. We can think of returing to playing safe when the rankings reset. .. rant over

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
A young inexperienced side trying to get 273 in 2 sessions against one of the best swing attacks in the world.......Part of me doesn't blame them, part of me is disappointed they didn't try.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Problem is though they have to be seen to be doing something. Otherwise is cricket for all like the say.
I agree 8 years have probably changed him a great deal.

So are they going to go back and check every single but if social media for the last 8 years for the rest of the squad. Same applies to footballers, the Olympic squad, where does it stop.
he's apologised, move on. What point does the suspension serve ?

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
So are they going to go back and check every single but if social media for the last 8 years for the rest of the squad. Same applies to footballers, the Olympic squad, where does it stop.
It allows time for an investigation to determine if there is more to it. It’s right that his actions are given more scrutiny in case he’s done or said worse in the subsequent years.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

this is the problem, the ECB are going to make a rod for their own back (theres a surprise). plenty of others have already been back through other players social media accounts and there are definitely some other comments, maybe not as bad, that are the wrong side of the line. also plenty rumbling about Overton and his incident with Zaidi several years ago and how that was handled (or swept under the carpet) by the ECB, this will be magnified if he is the one to replace Robinson in the side

or you ask what action theyre taking in the Azeem Rafiq situation at Yorkshire, where the enquiry into institutionalised racism is surprise surprise taking a lot longer than it was supposed to, no doubt and result will come out post season

sadly this feels far more like a good publicity opportunity for the ecb rather than actually taking consistent action as and when needed but that shouldnt really surprise anyone

anyone for the undred

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
this shouwed up on my twitter feed as a promoted feed.. In case the Palace clicks on it, would they suspend Kate?

1623056344025.png

sunshine

Visit site
Robinson should’ve been withdrawn from the match immediately or not suspended at all. It’s a terrible message to wait for a game to finish before suspending him.

I don’t think they could have withdrawn him in the middle of the match and ruined the game. The incidents didn’t relate to the match.

Unusually, it looks like the ECB have done the right thing here. They need to hold an investigation to properly understand the context and determine the appropriate sanctions.

I find it depressing how the politicians have got involved. Especially the privileged middle class white males who seem quick to brush racism under the carpet.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Monty Panesar calling Robinson today on ITV after being fined for what he did 8 years’ ago in Brighton. A tad hypocritical.

Fundy may know but who is the latest cricketer overnight who is going to be named for tweets a few years’ ago?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A good thing that came out of this Robinson episode..

Driving my 11 yr old cricket nut to school. The news came on the radio talking about Robinson incident. First reaction..
Nipper: 'We discussed about the incident during our PSHE class yesterday!!!. We read it. It was not good'
Me: So what do you think? what should we do?
N: We should be very careful about what we post on social media.

Irrespective of what you think about ECB 's action and the (unsurprising) BoJo 'support'... if i can get a 11yr old to understand social media impact; then that is a good result.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Monty Panesar calling Robinson today on ITV after being fined for what he did 8 years’ ago in Brighton. A tad hypocritical.

Fundy may know but who is the latest cricketer overnight who is going to be named for tweets a few years’ ago?

Have heard some rumours but nothing for sure. Theres plenty of tweets being "shared" and/or deleted soon after from years back. Dom Bess got the right approach, called back into the England squad, deleted his twitter account!

Its the poor YTS lad at the ECB I feel for who is now going through every single tweet from every England player for the last decade now!