The Cricket Thread

MACM85

Visit site
Foakes won't get a look in. Lawrence will be next in line as he was called in for cover to the squad. Bairstow has some good friends in the England set up that don't want to upset him by taking the gloves off him

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In proper cricket (;)) Scotland beat Zimbabwe today to continue their excellent form and are now "just" one win away from qualifying for the World Cup. Potential winner-takes-all match with The Netherlands on Thursday.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For those wanting Foakes in for the 3rd test, the England management have said they won’t be calling anyone extra up so looks like Dan Lawrence will come in as he is already with squad

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
Now that the dust has settled, does anyone think there is merit in both captains being spoken to about the thinly veiled bodyline bowling in the last test? Last day drama aside, that was a turgid watch and I’m sure we can all agree that even with modern day protective equipment, bodyline bowling was a terrible thing.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Now that the dust has settled, does anyone think there is merit in both captains being spoken to about the thinly veiled bodyline bowling in the last test? Last day drama aside, that was a turgid watch and I’m sure we can all agree that even with modern day protective equipment, bodyline bowling was a terrible thing.

Absolutely. It was awful to watch.

If I was a bowler being asked to produce that bilge I’d be offended. It’s akin to being told by your captain that you lack the talent to take wickets any other way.

I’m sure I said it here, but there was one period of play when over two hours had passed without a single full delivery being bowled. It was all short, and it was awful viewing.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was poor but the umpires said nothing so they didn't seem it intimidatory, or they just forgot the law 🤷‍♂️. Hopefully, the remaining pitches won't be as test match poor as that one and bowlers will bowl properly. The short stuff only happened because the pitch was dead and the bowlers discovered how stupid some of the batsmen were. I'd expect the surface at headingley to be a more equal test.

RichA

Visit site
I've read that Headingley is being heavily rolled and we can expect more of the same. Wood probably in. Maybe even Woakes.
The short stuff worked. Batsmen are stupid. I actually quite enjoy watching it.
The difference in Leeds might be that the bounce is less inconsistent - fewer long hops but more wides by height, possibly.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
It will be more of the same if the pitch is similar. It's within the laws of the game, so I can't see why anyone would "have a word", after all, it's the W that counts now how ;) . The batters (on both sides) need to be less brainless and not take on the short stuff. If that's the case and no shots played to the short ball, then tactics should resort back to something normal...maybe!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It will be more of the same if the pitch is similar. It's within the laws of the game, so I can't see why anyone would "have a word", after all, it's the W that counts now how ;) . The batters (on both sides) need to be less brainless and not take on the short stuff. If that's the case and no shots played to the short ball, then tactics should resort back to something normal...maybe!
I thought we were the more stupid of the two sides there. First innings, had we just dropped anchor and let the ball go for 4-5 overs then the Aussies would have had to return to normal bowling. When the Aussies were batting they needed to set a target and the fact they couldn't score off this type of bowling suited us more than them. They had to go after it a little, hence why that and wickets going down meant it continued. In normal circumstances, if the batters have a brain, this should not last long.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought we were the more stupid of the two sides there. First innings, had we just dropped anchor and let the ball go for 4-5 overs then the Aussies would have had to return to normal bowling. When the Aussies were batting they needed to set a target and the fact they couldn't score off this type of bowling suited us more than them. They had to go after it a little, hence why that and wickets going down meant it continued. In normal circumstances, if the batters have a brain, this should not last long.

Definitely. We were coasting around 208-2 or similar. They got desperate and resorted to short-stuff and we should just ignored it and tire them out even more. But we didn't, gave them hope and then surrendered the initiative. I hope if the same happens at Headingley, we don't do the same.

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
Robinson is in based on his average which looks good but completely ignores the reality of how he’s bowled in the first two tests.

Tongue has genuine pace and looks like a fantastic talent.

RichA

Visit site
Watching Ben Stokes - Phoenix From The Ashes on Amazon. It's very good. Up there with Fire In Babylon as a cricket movie documentary.

sunshine

Visit site
It was poor but the umpires said nothing so they didn't seem it intimidatory, or they just forgot the law 🤷‍♂️. Hopefully, the remaining pitches won't be as test match poor as that one and bowlers will bowl properly. The short stuff only happened because the pitch was dead and the bowlers discovered how stupid some of the batsmen were. I'd expect the surface at headingley to be a more equal test.
The umpires also did nothing when balls sailed past the batsmen at head height and above. They seemed to forget the signal for a wide.