The Cricket Thread

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Somebody should have told Moen that this a test match, not a 20-20. Brainless cricket, yes bazball bazball 🙄.

A fast run rate is great but more batters need to go on and make 3 figures. All but 1 have got in, only Root might make it. (Yes, I'm worried about the Aussies batting for 2 days and passing our score by 200)

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
True.

Equally, under a different approach we would normally have lost a similar amount of wickets for half the number of runs!

I wish I knew what's what! Cricket is very different these days 😁

Totally agree. We had years of England getting bogged down, scoring at a snail’s pace and struggling repeatedly to get past 250 in their first innings. It became predictable.

This wicket looks like a good one BUT England are yet to bowl on it. We’ve heard it said many times, but you only know how good a Test Match pitch is when both sides have batted once.

I’d take anything approaching 400 on first innings in as Ashes Test. Then let’s see how Australia bat. Let’s face it, they’re one down before they start with Broad having the hex on Warner.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
True.

Equally, under a different approach we would normally have lost a similar amount of wickets for half the number of runs!

I wish I knew what's what! Cricket is very different these days 😁
It's an approach that is great when it comes off, looks reckless when it doesn't. Jury is out on this innings until the Aussies have batted.

I'm like you, struggling a bit with it, but things move on.............

D

Deleted member 15344

We need to be batting tomorrow morning...... might not happen.

Cloudier in Brum tomorrow. Sunday/Monday a bit iffy.

Lots of cricket left in this. But, Australia will be looking to only bat once.

If it’s cloudier tomorrow you want them batting and get the ball moving around

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Love, love, love the reaction from Stokes and the team to Smith's dismissal. The passion there for all to see. With that mindset and desire to win it's a good time to be an England cricket fan.

Having to watch on my laptop as on holiday - flipping legs are burning hot!

D

Deleted member 15344

Aussies just feeding off Moeen Ali here , been poor throughout bar two balls

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Aussies just feeding off Moeen Ali here , been poor throughout bar two balls
He has never been a test bowler. He does a good job in white ball cricket but in test matches he is to spin bowling what Bairstow is to wicket keeping.

He has just bowled an absolute jaffa but I'm not going to bottle my post because it still stands 😄

D-S

Visit site
He has never been a test bowler. He does a good job in white ball cricket but in test matches he is to spin bowling what Bairstow is to wicket keeping.

He has just bowled an absolute jaffa but I'm not going to bottle my post because it still stands 😄
Interesting point, thought I’d look up his stats 197 wickets (before today) 65 matches at 36. Out of interest John Emburey 147 from 64 at 38 plus Mo has over a 1000 more runs. Swanny is significantly better with 255 at 30 from 60. However Giles only got 143 from 54 at 40 and over 1500 runs less.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting point, thought I’d look up his stats 197 wickets (before today) 65 matches at 36. Out of interest John Emburey 147 from 64 at 38 plus Mo has over a 1000 more runs. Swanny is significantly better with 255 at 30 from 60. However Giles only got 143 from 54 at 40 and over 1500 runs less.
Without going through stats, Giles gave his captain control in a way that Moen doesn't. I suspect their economy rates are very different. That is a key part of being a spinner. Giles could tie an end down, give the quicks a breather so they would come back stronger. Wickets plus control, worth a good deal to a captain.

Emburey is one I remember but not really, if that makes sense. On the edge of my time so I can't compare.

In terms of throwing in runs scored, that's how we get part time bowlers and part time wicket keepers. I'd rather have our best spin bowler, whoever that is right now, and Foakes behind the stumps. I think their expertise pays for itself over a series. It isn't a view shared by England on the whole, sadly 🤷‍♂️

D-S

Visit site
I was just trying to think of finger spinners who have played quite a few games. The fact that Mo has got significantly more wickets than Giles and Embeurey is telling. Also must be remembered that batsmen today are far more aggressive than in the past and just don’t accept being tied down. DRS is a big advantage however.
Runs might not be important but when you are comparing with players who got less wickets it is a useful plus.

D

Deleted member 15344

I was just trying to think of finger spinners who have played quite a few games. The fact that Mo has got significantly more wickets than Giles and Embeurey is telling. Also must be remembered that batsmen today are far more aggressive than in the past and just don’t accept being tied down. DRS is a big advantage however.
Runs might not be important but when you are comparing with players who got less wickets it is a useful plus.

Ali gets more wickets because he is an attacking spinner , that’s fine if the other end is tied down but in test he gives away far too many boundary balls. It’s why Leach has done very well over the last 18 months - he can tie an end down to allow the seamers to pick up the wickets when the pressure adds - Ali puts down too many balls that relieve that pressure

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

One of my regular playing partners is an ex county cricketer who still has many friends in the current first class set up. He tells me the Australian camp were delighted to see Ali in the England squad as they consider him considerably worse than Jack Leach.