The Cricket Thread

D-S

Visit site
One of my regular playing partners is an ex county cricketer who still has many friends in the current first class set up. He tells me the Australian camp were delighted to see Ali in the England squad as they consider him considerably worse than Jack Leach.
The better question is would they have been more worried by the other options England had at their disposal after first choice Leach was out injured.

D

Deleted member 15344

The better question is would they have been more worried by the other options England had at their disposal after first choice Leach was out injured.

Ahmed should have been given a chance

England imo have made a few poor choices that I think could cost them

Wood should be playing to provide something a bit different with pace

Shoehorned Bairstow in and it’s cost two wickets so far

And Ali coming in has just offered them so many easy runs and nothing balls

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Ahmed should have been given a chance

England imo have made a few poor choices that I think could cost them

Wood should be playing to provide something a bit different with pace

Shoehorned Bairstow in and it’s cost two wickets so far

And Ali coming in has just offered them so many easy runs and nothing balls

Too early for Rehan Ahmed I think, Phil. If you bring a young leg spinner with limited red ball experience into the pressure cooker of an Ashes series I really think there is a risk that you lose the talent for good if it goes wrong.

I know the old adage - if you’re good enough, you’re old enough - but wrist spin is a unique art. It takes time before the control needed is there consistently.

There is plenty of time for Ahmed. I think the decision not to bring him in for this series is probably the right one.

Last edited:
Reactions: D-S

Billysboots

Visit site
Just found myself looking at the weather forecast and hoping for rain...old style English cricket fan behaviour!

Got to say, Amanda, it’s been a turgid watch this morning. A dead pitch and Australia’s run rate grinding to a halt are combining to make this a match for the purists.

Billysboots

Visit site
Just when I said it’s a turgid watch Stokes sets the most peculiar field I have ever seen (Bodyline was before my time!) and England manage to get Khawaja out at last.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Crawley and Duckett have been stuffed there. Light's terrible, rain in the air, ball wobbling around, all for the first time in the game. Now the rain comes.......... They will be steaming.

Oh, and please, please, please can sky get rid of pietersen? Just painful.

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
Yes, we have one. Ben Foakes, an excellent keeper, a genuine keeper, and no mug with the bat. It bemuses most posters on here as to why he is not first choice. I'm one of them.
Especially when Bairstow is coming back from a potential career ending injury.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Especially when Bairstow is coming back from a potential career ending injury.
It obviously hasn't ended his career and I would think that he has gone through some very vigorous rehab and testing prior to being picked so that point is irrelevant to the couple of missed chances. He didn't miss them because his leg hampered his movement or anything - in fact he took the catch that would have highlighted any lack of mobility or speed when he caught Labuschagne

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting play from England in the 1st session today. Not sure if they needed to play in such an expansive fashion all the time, but at least it is never boring