The Cricket Thread

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
When I was Captain of Widmer End Youth Club in the Chiltern Village League of the late 70s we were once dismissed for...8
And 3 of them were LBs...
Left the club soon after - bunch of losers:ROFLMAO:

In adult cricket I can beat that, 7 all out.

That said we only lost 3 wickets. We had a very useful team with 7 guys from the sub continent who whilst being great cricketers who horrendously unreliable in terms of getting to away games. They would come in convoy and usually had to go via a random station to pick someone up.

It’d been threatening to happen for a while however finally at one of our further flung league games they were nowhere to be seen. We won the toss and decided our best bet was to bat rather than field with 4. Unfortunately we lost wickets and as the convoy rolled into the car park we lost our final wicket and that was game over.

www.hiltonpark.net
I was just reading about this, terrific effort.

Reminded me of a school game, we were bowled out for 14. We were made to play the oppo again as our teacher was so angry at our performance and to be honest the game had only been going 25 minutes so there was still plenty of time to do so.....
What happened in the 2nd game?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
An England bowler getting a wicket with a googly, cant have said that too often lol. Lets hope theres plenty more to come, be great to have a decent wrist spinner finally!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Back in the day I remember one of our team getting poleaxed at short leg and we had to call an ambulance....
Those we the days eh..?

Was fortunate, helmets had just came in when I first started playing first team cricket so always had one on at short leg. Still opened the batting in a cap mind..........

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Was fortunate, helmets had just came in when I first started playing first team cricket so always had one on at short leg. Still opened the batting in a cap mind..........
I could never wear a helmet when betting. even at premier league standard I wore a cap

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I could never wear a helmet when betting. even at premier league standard I wore a cap
I had a helmet but only wore it on a couple of occasions. Both were after 1st ball was bowled. Once against Slough in a Sunday league game, fist ball from a young Pakistani overseas player whistled past my nose from a ball short of a length. Sent for the helmet. The other was against a West Indian Sunday team, bowler took his run up from from almost the boundary edge. Ball sailed over my head and almost carried the boundary behind?? I think he hurt something and bowled the remainder of the over of two paces?

Grizzly

Visit site
Back in the day I remember one of our team getting poleaxed at short leg and we had to call an ambulance....
Those we the days eh..?

No, they most definitely were not. I remember very well the sheer terror of being asked to field at short leg to the West Indian Test player Clayton Lambert when he played in the NYSD. The sound of the ball off his bat resembled a howitzer firing.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I recall playing against a West Indian team who’s opening bowler was nicknamed “the dentist” as he liked removing batsman’s teeth!

He wasn’t quick, just bowled short stuff all day so was easy to play