The Cricket Thread

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I can’t believe there are still some criticising the approach England have adopted. It’s entertaining, puts bums on seats, seems to avoid draws more often than not, and England are winning games by employing it. I’m quite sure we can drop anchor if the need arises, but given the shots batters can now play in white ball cricket, why would we need to if the new approach works?

And a lot of folk seem to be conveniently ignoring the fact that, regardless of how we bat, in the absence of a declaration by the opposition, England still need to take twenty wickets to win Tests, and are managing to do so even on the most benign pitches.

Brilliant, I say.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It is an entertaining method ..no doubt.
It's going to backfire at times but, at the moment, it's working in our favour so long may it continue
If the win/loss/draw ratio is 7:2:1 we're going to win most series we play.
All power to it..

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
With the players we have at present the approach makes sense. We’ve proven that the traditional approach of grinding away and building an innings has resulted in being bowled out for 120 so we might as well play to our strengths. We’re almost certainly going to come unstuck in some games however I’m positive that we’ll have won more with this approach than if we’d stuck to our standard style plus it makes for a far more interesting game!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Cant be many games that bowling was dominated by goggly bowlers.

I'd seen Abraham a few weeks ago when a load of his wickets were posted on a cricket FB page. Hardly a leg break among them. Ahmed the same, though I only saw highlights I didn't see many if any leg breaks, well at least non that turned much off the straight.

Though is nice to have a wrist spinner in the side I'm not convinced he's going to rip though too many top orders and probably not The Aussies.
I'd love to see him succeed, he's only young so.lets hope he can develop a decent leg break.

Last guy I remember who bowled a lot of googly was Mushy, but he did have a decent leg break as well.

What's others opinions?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cant be many games that bowling was dominated by goggly bowlers.

I'd seen Abraham a few weeks ago when a load of his wickets were posted on a cricket FB page. Hardly a leg break among them. Ahmed the same, though I only saw highlights I didn't see many if any leg breaks, well at least non that turned much off the straight.

Though is nice to have a wrist spinner in the side I'm not convinced he's going to rip though too many top orders and probably not The Aussies.
I'd love to see him succeed, he's only young so.lets hope he can develop a decent leg break.

Last guy I remember who bowled a lot of googly was Mushy, but he did have a decent leg break as well.

What's others opinions?

Hes only played 3 first class games before this test, bit early to start trying to find the negatives for me. Seems he bowls decent googlies as he spent a lot of his time bowling to his older brother who is a leftie! As for the Aussies, pretty sure they wont get to see him this summer, maybe in a few years time

From what I saw he has raw talent (with ball and bat) but expect he may well end up more a white ball than red ball spinner, if we're really lucky he'll be good enough at both!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It is an entertaining method ..no doubt.
It's going to backfire at times but, at the moment, it's working in our favour so long may it continue
If the win/loss/draw ratio is 7:2:1 we're going to win most series we play.
All power to it..

I agree to a point but there will be sessions where a pragmatic approach and either taking pace out of the game or trying to steady the ship will still be needed and I just hope England in the current mindset can still do that

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I agree to a point but there will be sessions where a pragmatic approach and either taking pace out of the game or trying to steady the ship will still be needed and I just hope England in the current mindset can still do that

Issue is that with the present batch of players I’m not convinced they are do either of those things. They’re better at continuing with a positive approach and will have more success than not by doing so imo.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just been watching some old videos of England cricket and they had one that focussed on Simon Jones. Such a shame his career was cut short by injury. He made bowling fast look so effortless. Reminded me of how Jofra Archer manages to bowl fast with apparently very little effort. Also had Kevin Pietersen in there. Despite being a bit of a/complete doorknob I think he'd fit in well with the new Bazball approach.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Saw some of the scores of the India v NZ ODI on my socials.. Gill hit a double century to take India to 349. But the amazing bit is that NZ nearly chased it down.. 337 lost by 12 runs !!! That is nearly 700 runs in an ODI. No target seems safe these days. A 4 day 1000+ runs Ashes this summer anyone?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Saw some of the scores of the India v NZ ODI on my socials.. Gill hit a double century to take India to 349. But the amazing bit is that NZ nearly chased it down.. 337 lost by 12 runs !!! That is nearly 700 runs in an ODI. No target seems safe these days. A 4 day 1000+ runs Ashes this summer anyone?

pretty sure England will be hoping to score more than 250 a day ;)

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Saw this a.m. on Sky I think that S. Africa need to win all their matches to qualify for The World Cup. That is some ask and I did not realise what a mess S. Africa cricket is in. This is tragic after some of the players they have had in the past going back to Barry Richards, Pollocks, Simpson Steyn Donald and many more.

looking at England‘s start it could be over within 40 overs.

Sure Captain Ron will give a balanced view.