The Cricket Thread

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Totally agree. Would rather lose having thrown everything at it to try and win rather than shut up shop, prod at the ball for a few hours then shake hands on a draw. Those who got free tickets today will be having a great day and hopefully Trent Bridge are raking it in with food and drink sales as a result of ensuring a full house.

was a cracking interview with one of the senior mgmt at TB this morning on why they had given out the free tickets. He did caveat it all with admitting hed been on news at 10 4 years ago explaining why day 5 tickets were so expensive! Definitely got it right this time and they deserve to do well out of it

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
was a cracking interview with one of the senior mgmt at TB this morning on why they had given out the free tickets. He did caveat it all with admitting hed been on news at 10 4 years ago explaining why day 5 tickets were so expensive! Definitely got it right this time and they deserve to do well out of it

I am guessing that, with the trend in test results, most grounds budget on ticket income for 4 days and TB decided to do a very decent thing for day 5. With it being a nice day and a full house, I suspect that the tills round the ground have been ringing non stop since it started.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am guessing that, with the trend in test results, most grounds budget on ticket income for 4 days and TB decided to do a very decent thing for day 5. With it being a nice day and a full house, I suspect that the tills round the ground have been ringing non stop since it started.

Be very surprised if Lords dont budget for 5 days still lol

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting that the commentary mentioned lots of people new to cricket at the ground today because it’s free,mainly a younger crowd,that after today will probably go and watch cricket again,hence help grow the game.
However Liv doing it for golf will kill the game.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Now that’s the brand of cricket I want to see! I was driving when the tea interval came, and said to my mate they would try and chase the remaining 160 down. He said no chance. But whilst he would have been right a few short months ago, not any more it seems.

Brilliant entertainment. Long may it continue.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Now that’s the brand of cricket I want to see! I was driving when the tea interval came, and said to my mate they would try and chase the remaining 160 down. He said no chance. But whilst he would have been right a few short months ago, not any more it seems.

Brilliant entertainment. Long may it continue.

You and me both. But imagine the amount of whining and bitching there would've been if Bairstow and Stokes had both been out just after tea and we'd gone on to lose. I would far rather see us lose the odd game while trying to win rather than watch a boring block-fest trying to salvage a draw. Too many years of watching boring cricket under Cook and Root where not losing was the main objective. A bit like watching the England football team under Southgate. Hopefully this new positive mindset will last and we'll get to watch some exciting attacking cricket.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
You and me both. But imagine the amount of whining and bitching there would've been if Bairstow and Stokes had both been out just after tea and we'd gone on to lose. I would far rather see us lose the odd game while trying to win rather than watch a boring block-fest trying to salvage a draw. Too many years of watching boring cricket under Cook and Root where not losing was the main objective. A bit like watching the England football team under Southgate. Hopefully this new positive mindset will last and we'll get to watch some exciting attacking cricket.
I have said the same about Man United - give me the swashbuckling football I grew up with with a fair few defeats in there rather than turgid dross (and lots of defeats!!) any day.

I loved watching New Zealand under McCullum’s captaincy. They played cricket as sport should be played - to win. I agree 100% Colch - I watch sport to be entertained, win, lose or draw. Life’s too short to be bored watching forgettable encounters.

Grizzly

Visit site
Having played cricket at a pretty decent level, rugby likewise, with a fair bit of other sports at... shall we say less challenging grades? I can confirm that there are losses, and defeats. If Jonny had popped one up in the 80s and Stokes not seen it through, youd say, we lost. Oh well. If they'd set out to bat 72 overs for the draw and failed... Thats a defeat, and they stay with you.