The Cricket Thread

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Saw this on the web… so must be true

View attachment 42975

The stat that surprised me the most was that Andrew Strauss played 100 test matches for England and made his debut a year after Jimmy Anderson. In August this year it will be 10 years since Strauss retired.

Makes it even more amazing that Anderson is still going and at such a high level.

Grizzly

Visit site
The stat that surprised me the most was that Andrew Strauss played 100 test matches for England and made his debut a year after Jimmy Anderson. In August this year it will be 10 years since Strauss retired.

Makes it even more amazing that Anderson is still going and at such a high level.

Jimmy made his ODI debut before Steve Harmison.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Absolutely fascinating listening to Graeme Swann talking about the art of spin bowling before the start of play this morning. How England miss a bowler of his quality to depart from the predictable right arm seam we are so reliant on these days.

www.hiltonpark.net
Absolutely fascinating listening to Graeme Swann talking about the art of spin bowling before the start of play this morning. How England miss a bowler of his quality to depart from the predictable right arm seam we are so reliant on these days.
Thanks for the heads up on that. The bloke has a great cricketing brain and is fantastic to listen to about spin. Interesting what he said about Leach having all the tools but not the belief.
It's on YT for those interested

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have yet to replace him, sadly. He was capable of taking wickets and also closing up an end if necessary. We haven't had many world class spinners but he was one.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
What's with Stokes teeing off EVERY ball. Stupid in the context of the game. He could be a little more selective and got a score easily.
I kind of get it. Get runs on the board quickly to get as close as possible to the NZ total, and then maybe we make a game of it. I’d far rather this positive brand of cricket than playing for a draw from day two.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I kind of get it. Get runs on the board quickly to get as close as possible to the NZ total, and then maybe we make a game of it. I’d far rather this positive brand of cricket than playing for a draw from day two.

surely theres a middle ground of being selective rather than trying to hit every ball for 6 which was where he got to though. By all means be positive but dont have to be reckless, its day 3 of a test youre more than 200 behind in, whilst 1-0 up in the series

felt more like a statement of what to expect from BMac/Stokes era rather than a sensible thought out approach tbh

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yeah, I get the need to score quick and 100% agree. But he was trying to hit every ball in the over off Bracewell for 6. There was a 100 there for the taking if he'd have just played his normal game, which imo is attacking enough.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If anyones local enough and free tomorrow Trent Bridge have just announced entry for the final day will be free!!!!!!

Need to claim tickets on their website, which not surprisingly has instantly crashed lol

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If this is the attitude England are going to have going forward under Stokes,bring it on,great stuff.
Southgate take notice

Totally agree. Would rather lose having thrown everything at it to try and win rather than shut up shop, prod at the ball for a few hours then shake hands on a draw. Those who got free tickets today will be having a great day and hopefully Trent Bridge are raking it in with food and drink sales as a result of ensuring a full house.