The Cricket Thread

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Same Same ..

if it rains tomorrow, our street’s Jubilee party won’t go ahead.. but we could get away with a draw. The massive assumption being that Eng can survive the day with the ball now moving around … I have more chances with the Lotto tonight

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well that was as un-England as chases go lol.

Brilliant from Root, great support from Foakes, Kiwis will be a bit frustrated the ball did nothing at all this morning. Couldve done with Wagner

some way for Root to get to 10,000 test runs, he really is a seriously top class player, especially consider how bad a batting unit hes been playing in for a large part of it!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Well that was as un-England as chases go lol.

Brilliant from Root, great support from Foakes, Kiwis will be a bit frustrated the ball did nothing at all this morning. Couldve done with Wagner

some way for Root to get to 10,000 test runs, he really is a seriously top class player, especially consider how bad a batting unit hes been playing in for a large part of it!

The bit in bold is key - so many of those runs have been scored in a very average middle order, often coming in against a new ball and fresh attack. Stunning achievement from a very likeable fella. It’s great to have him back as a batter, without the burden of captaincy.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Same Same ..

if it rains tomorrow, our street’s Jubilee party won’t go ahead.. but we could get away with a draw. The massive assumption being that Eng can survive the day with the ball now moving around … I have more chances with the Lotto tonight
How much did you win last night!

Great game and very well played England. OK Fundy, what was the probability of Root and Cook both scoring 10,000 runs at exactly the same age? Both our sons are very good at these type of questions. Will ask them later

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Great game and very well played England. OK Fundy, what was the probability of Root and Cook both scoring 10,000 runs at exactly the same age? Both our sons are very good at these type of questions. Will ask them later

back of a fag packet:

if assuming theyve both scored 10,000 runs then somewhere around 1 in 2000 (no of days aged 31 to 37 or something similar?) for it to be same at same age (years and days)

if you mean of 2 players on test debut it gets much harder!!!!14 test players ever have achieved it but expect should only consider English players (only 2 have). 700ish players played for england, lets say half are bowlers so 2 from 350 is 1 in 175 those picked as batsmen. so for 2 named players of the 350 picked to bat for England, 1 in 175 x 2,000 so approx 1 in 350,000?

think reality is odds are higher than that (expect theres an error in my basic logic lol), sample sizes tiny as well so not highly accurate. round it up to 1 in half a million but not totally convinced in the logic, happy to be corrected

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
back of a fag packet:

if assuming theyve both scored 10,000 runs then somewhere around 1 in 2000 (no of days aged 31 to 37 or something similar?) for it to be same at same age (years and days)

if you mean of 2 players on test debut it gets much harder!!!!14 test players ever have achieved it but expect should only consider English players (only 2 have). 700ish players played for england, lets say half are bowlers so 2 from 350 is 1 in 175 those picked as batsmen. so for 2 named players of the 350 picked to bat for England, 1 in 175 x 2,000 so approx 1 in 350,000?

think reality is odds are higher than that (expect theres an error in my basic logic lol), sample sizes tiny as well so not highly accurate. round it up to 1 in half a million but not totally convinced in the logic, happy to be corrected
Will send a message to my kids and will let you know their thoughts. They always come up with various probabilities e.g the players ages could be between SAY 28 to 38 but your figure seems realistic to me

D

Deleted member 15344

Excellent from Root this morning but also from Foakes - important knock from him to support Root

Great win - first one in a while and certainly a lot more positives to take

The Opening pair are one that can develop

Crawley just needs to be a bit more patient and not be tempted too much into the drive - get that bottom hand softer a bit

Lees - looked sharp yesterday but just sort out where your off stump is ,

Pope - just not a number 3 , got to give Brook a go ,

Bairstow - was still in white ball mode , needs to get his red ball head on quickly ( would love to see Abell get a go there )

Stokes - not a bad first test as skipper , solid 2nd innings knock and was happy to see him bowl a bit more sparingly

the bowling unit were excellent , Parkinson will get another go at the next test

Would really only see me change for Trent Bridge and that’s Brook in for Pope

D

Deleted member 3432

Excellent from Root this morning but also from Foakes - important knock from him to support Root

Great win - first one in a while and certainly a lot more positives to take

The Opening pair are one that can develop

Crawley just needs to be a bit more patient and not be tempted too much into the drive - get that bottom hand softer a bit

Lees - looked sharp yesterday but just sort out where your off stump is ,

Pope - just not a number 3 , got to give Brook a go ,

Bairstow - was still in white ball mode , needs to get his red ball head on quickly ( would love to see Abell get a go there )

Stokes - not a bad first test as skipper , solid 2nd innings knock and was happy to see him bowl a bit more sparingly

the bowling unit were excellent , Parkinson will get another go at the next test

Would really only see me change for Trent Bridge and that’s Brook in for Pope

Crawley looks like a poor man's Vince and Lees latest in increasingly worse openers.

Can't help thinking the likes of Robson and Lyth are far better players but won't be given another go.

As well as Root played surely he must bat 3 so Pope or Brook stands half a chance to succeed. Aussies would never throw a young batter in at 3 especially one's that have never batted in that position before?

greenone

Visit site

Not sure bairstow has a red ball mode.

The attack looks a bit samey, fine at home but it's still going to struggle to take 20 wickets away from home.

Not sure what leach has done, but he really needs a change in fortune.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

FB8FEE00-6D4F-4972-964C-E57A7CDBE47C.jpeg

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Out or not >>

I think out. Initially, i thought it was not out because the batsman was not trying to take a run, but it was his mistake to leave the crease when the ball was not dead yet.. but who knows..

I know @greenone was pretty sure about the Umpires getting this wrong and poor sportsman spirit by the captain as the batsman was not taking a run. I wonder if his views have changed after watching the magic over by Broad where de Grandhomme was run out after an LBW appeal was turned down. Video here.. event at 0.12. In this case cant blame the umpiring standards

greenone

Visit site
I know @greenone was pretty sure about the Umpires getting this wrong and poor sportsman spirit by the captain as the batsman was not taking a run. I wonder if his views have changed after watching the magic over by Broad where de Grandhomme was run out after an LBW appeal was turned down. Video here.. event at 0.12. In this case cant blame the umpiring standards

No my views haven't changed, de grandhomme had a brain fade, went for a walk during an appeal and didn't get back in his crease. That is different to walking off in the belief that you are out.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No my views haven't changed, de grandhomme had a brain fade, went for a walk during an appeal and didn't get back in his crease. That is different to walking off in the belief that you are out.

In sports, I think we always have a bias based on how it affects us. If this was an Englishman getting run out, we would have the Barmy Army cry for blood. But becasue it benefits us, we are ok.
I remember the Eng v India match when Bell walked off thinking he had scored a boundary and was run out at lunch. Everyone had pitchforks ready at the Indians and then when Bell walked back on the field after lunch, the pitchforks turned to bouquets

update: this was meant as a general observation, rather than directed at you..

Last edited: