Tees

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I notice some clubs are banning plastic tees, not sure how easy it is to police though.
Ah, but golfers self police don't forget :unsure:.

I've seen clubs ban them from their pro-shops but not necessarily from their course. It is a natural progression though. If you cut off the source then they naturally decline.

sunshine

Visit site
It's more the effort of having to order them every couple of weeks rather than every two years.

But do you? I've never bought a tee in my life. They are always lying around and I just pick them up - I've never bought a tee in my life so I guess I make a zero contribution to tee wastage.

You are always keen to save money so I'm surprised you are buying tees to begin with.

sunshine

Visit site
I've used plain wooden tees for years. Long ones for the driver typically last a couple of rounds, short ones only last a hole or two so usually use broken tees on par threes.

Since return from lockdown, I decided to stop picking up stray tees so switched to plastic tees (again ones that I had found previously). I used the same 3 tees from May to October, and finally one of them snapped during my last round before lockdown 2.

Let's say a plastic tee lasts 50 times longer than a wooden tee. There must be an argument that the impact of adding a plastic tee to the environment is offset by the environmental impact of manufacturing 50 degradable bamboo tees?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But do you? I've never bought a tee in my life. They are always lying around and I just pick them up - I've never bought a tee in my life so I guess I make a zero contribution to tee wastage.

You are always keen to save money so I'm surprised you are buying tees to begin with.
This is what I've already said though, you can buy a pack of tees for 1 or 2 quid and they last me absolute years. Basically no cost or effort at all. I just remember to pick it up again after I've used one. If everyone did that, there's no issue at all is there? Whenever I've used wooden ones they always break after a couple of holes, which to me is annoying. @Lord Tyrion says the bamboo ones are stronger, that's fair enough. But right now the plastic tees I already have will probably last me at least another year if not two so it's not a bridge I have to cross yet.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
TBF, plastic tees do break and get lost, then if they are shredded by a mower you are introducing plastic into the ecosystem that will take decades to break down. So if we can move to a more sustainable and evironmentally friendly material, we should.

sunshine

Visit site
TBF, plastic tees do break and get lost, then if they are shredded by a mower you are introducing plastic into the ecosystem that will take decades to break down. So if we can move to a more sustainable and evironmentally friendly material, we should.

We should pick up our broken plastic tees and put them in the bin (or even better a recycling bin). I must admit when my plastic tee snapped I just left it there (although in my defence I'm used to leaving broken wooden tees behind).

eddie_1878

Visit site
We should pick up our broken plastic tees and put them in the bin (or even better a recycling bin). I must admit when my plastic tee snapped I just left it there (although in my defence I'm used to leaving broken wooden tees behind).

I’m not sure that’s a defence, sunshine! ?

YandaB

Visit site
So if we already have plastic tees, now that they have been made, should we just chuck them (in a recycling bin) now or keep using them until they break and then chuck them (in a recycling bin) and from that point buy bamboo ones?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I've used bamboo tees in the past, I actually got mine from Aldi and they certainly seemed to be stronger than the wooden ones and tended to fracture rather than break and so still be reusable.
I always used wooden tees but have now graduated to white plastic tower tees for driving. The simple reason is that I snapped so many wooden tees and you would see them scattered all over the course or on the tee (not from me) and they can damage the cutters on the greens equipment. The cutters don't always shred the tees but the tees can damage the cutters.
The white castle tees may be less environmentally friendly but, as long as you don't lose them, then they last for ages and if one does break, I pop it in the bin.
I may graduate to the bamboo castle tees sometime in the future. The ones on the Oceantee site are too tall for me.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I usually make it a point to snap a few wooden tees by hand and scatter them on each tee-box. I know the following groups appreciate it (y)

Mandofred

Visit site
I usually make it a point to snap a few wooden tees by hand and scatter them on each tee-box. I know the following groups appreciate it (y)
You must have the hand muscle of the Hulk!! I have trouble these days getting jar lids open :cry:

I use a combination. I've always used wood tees, but in recent years bought small plastic ones....and then I put those through the pencil sharpener/knife to make them really small. We have to hit off 6 foot? mats on our 3 par 3's. I cut the small ones low enough so they will stick in these mats and just get the ball a little above the mat. For some reason these smaller versions go flying off into the boonies....lose one or two a round so I made a bunch. At this time I am a plastic litterer. But....I'm going to go to small wooden ones pretty soon, just not sure what to do with my old plastic ones.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So if we already have plastic tees, now that they have been made, should we just chuck them (in a recycling bin) now or keep using them until they break and then chuck them (in a recycling bin) and from that point buy bamboo ones?
^^^If they have already been made then you may as well used them. The key is disposing of them correctly. If they get thrown in the regular bin then they live on for years. At least if they get put in a recycling there is a chance of them coming to good use elsewhere.

YandaB

Visit site
^^^If they have already been made then you may as well used them. The key is disposing of them correctly. If they get thrown in the regular bin then they live on for years. At least if they get put in a recycling there is a chance of them coming to good use elsewhere.
That was certainly my intention but given I seem to find at least 2 more in between mine breaking and I brought a bag when I started playing seriously 7 years ago, I can't see me using bamboo ones for a very long time (if ever).

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pandas will be starving if we use all the bamboo for tees.
I have a minus aoa and no tee survives for long with my driving.
Wood one shot.
Bamboo about 3/4.
Plastic usually indestructible so no brainier.
Don’t like it but it’s just how it is, I can’t lose 14 tees a round

Vicjoy

Visit site
Pandas will be starving if we use all the bamboo for tees.
I have a minus aoa and no tee survives for long with my driving.
Wood one shot.
Bamboo about 3/4.
Plastic usually indestructible so no brainier.
Don’t like it but it’s just how it is, I can’t lose 14 tees a round
They use different types of bamboo for making tees to what the pandas eat and so I am pretty sure that they won't starve! That coupled with the fact that bamboo is a very quick growing grass and is very easily replenished.

Vicjoy

Visit site
I also think that there are 2 elements here, the first is the production process and from what I understand the production of plastic products is more harmful to the environment and the second is the break down of these products which plastic products leak micro particles into the air. I also understand that the bamboo tees don't have as much impact on the mower blades as the plastic and hardwood tees which are made from cedarwood.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Makes me laugh when people get so self righteous about the environment and believe they are making a difference using a wooden tee. Has anyone checked if the paint on these wooden tee's is environmentally friendly?
If everyone on this planet switched to plastic tee's then the impact on the environment would still be a very small drop if in a massive ocean compared to the damage industry does.