Tees - how much?!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I still don’t see how constantly breaking wooden tees is more sustainable that 2-3 pink castles over a year.

Technically, I recycle every time a slap one with a driver.
Baffles me as well. Bits of broken wooden tee left all over the place, vs a plastic castle tee that very occasionally gets lost but then picked up and reused by the next person. I've not bought a pink castle tee in four or five years, always find more than I lose.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wood gets chopped up, it degrades, it can be part of the environment. Plastic doesn't degrade, in our lifetime. It is a problem in the environment, ground or waterways.

It isn't as simple as using more of one than the other.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I still don’t see how constantly breaking wooden tees is more sustainable that 2-3 pink castles over a year.

Technically, I recycle every time a slap one with a driver.

Because the wood starts decomposing over time, and wild life then don't get bits of plastic in their stomachs if they nibble one.

Plastic tees take decades (or even 100 years in some cases) to break down

Bamboo is very sustainable

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wood gets chopped up, it degrades, it can be part of the environment. Plastic doesn't degrade, in our lifetime. It is a problem in the environment, ground or waterways.

It isn't as simple as using more of one than the other.
Must say looking at our course the number of dead wooden tees massively outnumbers plastic and all wooden tees that I have seen tend to come in plastic bags and the plastic on the course is almost invariably from discarded drinks bottles and tops and wrappers.
If the clubs were serious about plastic they would ban the shops from selling drinks before tees.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Must say looking at our course the number of dead wooden tees massively outnumbers plastic and all wooden tees that I have seen tend to come in plastic bags and the plastic on the course is almost invariably from discarded drinks bottles and tops and wrappers.
If the clubs were serious about plastic they would ban the shops from selling drinks before tees.

The "plastic" bags that they come in is biodegradable plastic. Which also can be composted or recycled

Same with the plastic bottles they can be recycled

People think they know better than science is the problem by "what they see with their eyes" when in reality they see what they want to see and don't understand the science behind the decisions.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The "plastic" bags that they come in is biodegradable plastic. Which also can be composted or recycled

Same with the plastic bottles they can be recycled

People think they know better than science is the problem by "what they see with their eyes" when in reality they see what they want to see and don't understand the science behind the decisions.
Plastic bottles may be able to be recycled but judging by the many that I see on golf courses they often are not.

Can you point me to a scientific paper with the evidence that use of plastic tees is affecting the environment beyond other plastics frequently used in golf?
I would be interested.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess the hope with plastic bottles is that people will either put them in bins or take them home and recycle them. If not, they are at least large enough not to be swallowed by an animal, be picked up by greenkeepers doing a litter pick.

The sheer size, small, of tees makes them prone to littering, being swallowed by animals, being ground into the soil, getting into the watercourse.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I guess the hope with plastic bottles is that people will either put them in bins or take them home and recycle them. If not, they are at least large enough not to be swallowed by an animal, be picked up by greenkeepers doing a litter pick.

The sheer size, small, of tees makes them prone to littering, being swallowed by animals, being ground into the soil, getting into the watercourse.
Well I've yet to see a golf course where you can recycle plastic bottles, but I've seen a lot of bottles and small bits of plastic from around the bottle neck.
I try and pick them up but there's only ever occasional rubbish bins to put them in.
I try and pick up rubbish of all sorts but plastic tees make a tiny proportion of the rubbish and a very very small amount of the plastic rubbish.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well I've yet to see a golf course where you can recycle plastic bottles, but I've seen a lot of bottles and small bits of plastic from around the bottle neck.
I try and pick them up but there's only ever occasional rubbish bins to put them in.
I try and pick up rubbish of all sorts but plastic tees make a tiny proportion of the rubbish and a very very small amount of the plastic rubbish.

You can't use your experience and what you see to judge the state of the industry world wide. It's obviously enough of an issue or it wouldn't have taken off.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Because the wood starts decomposing over time, and wild life then don't get bits of plastic in their stomachs if they nibble one.

Plastic tees take decades (or even 100 years in some cases) to break down

Bamboo is very sustainable

Would an emoji have made it easier to notice that it was a tongue in cheek comment?

Golfloveruk

Visit site
We have separate bins for recyclables around the course.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You can't use your experience and what you see to judge the state of the industry world wide. It's obviously enough of an issue or it wouldn't have taken off.
The reason why I asked for evidence was because I was unsure how representative my own observations were.
The idea that because something is pushed by by industry is because it's the optimal environmental answer rather than because it is profitable is I'm afraid sadly naive

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have separate bins for recyclables around the course.
That is great and very commendable.

I've played around 20 courses this year and they all sell plastic bottled drinks but yours is the first one I've heard of that has recycling bins around the course.

On topic I haven't actually come across one where plastic tees are banned either.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I haven't heard of plastic tees being banned on the course, only no longer sold in the pro shop.

Princes has actually banned them full stop

We went there I got some just for the trip

Soon as we got out of sight everyone just got out plastic tees

Pathetic behaviour