CH difference for tees

Swango1980

Visit site
So where is the course that is a par 5 from the from the back tee's but just 110 yds from the front? Par is not relevant in any meanfull way to your score.

I just don't get why you think standaising par will confuse anyone.
And I don't get why people don't think it would be odd that they play a 110 yard hole that is called a Par 4 or 5, and 350 yard Par 5, etc.

Definition of Par = "the score that a scratch player would generally be expected to achieve on a hole under normal course and weather conditions, allowing for two stroked on the putting green"

So, it seems that it could be confusing for some when a golf course no longer applies that definition to particular holes.

Although, having read a bit more guidance, I think the actual guidelines are actually sensible, and Par should actually be set depending on how a hole is meant to be played, so standardisation shouldn't just be done when it isn't appropriate. These are xamples given when standardisation isn't appropriate:

1. The hole length from the back tee for women is 520 yards, which is well within the par-5 range based on the guidelines within the Rules of Handicapping. It was designed to be played as a 3-shot hole. All other tees on the hole are considerably shorter and were designed to be played as a 2 shot hole. In this case, it would be recommended to adjudicate the back tee as a par-5 and all others as a par-4.

2. The forward tee on a hole was designed to play to an alternate green, with the yardage of 140 yards for men well within the par-3 guidelines. The golf club determined to make this alternate green available because the approach shot to the original green is significantly uphill and requires crossing a large penalty area. In this case, it would be recommended to adjudicate the forward tee as a par-3 and all other tees as a par-4.

3. A tee is placed in the fairway for juniors, which is significantly shorter than the other sets of tees on the hole. The way the hole was designed to be played was not considered in the placement of this junior tee. It is recommended that par be considered independently for this tee. Moreover, if junior tees are placed throughout the course, then they should be kept on a separate scorecard.

I suppose standardization of par is simply useful for holes that may slip above or beyond the standard recommended distances, but are clearly still intended to be played as the same Par. Clubs don't have to feel like their hands are tied on holes that are close to those boundary distances, and either side of them for two sets of tees?