Subscriptions/current course closures - what is your club doing?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Latest from the club. ClubV1 site down for essential maintenance to upgrade its database capabilities ahead of tomorrow so hoping it'll be online as soon as I get into work

Govt guidelines now state you may exercise with one person from outside your household
The booking sheet will go live later this afternoon for Wednesday and will be based on 2 balls in 10 minute intervals ; The first tee time is 7:30 am and last will be 4:30 pm initially although course usage will mean this is under constant review.
You will need to choose Front or Back 9 and there will be a tee sheet - choose your time & book your name in as if you were entering a competition. ( It would be best to liaise with your chosen playing partner to book the same time ).
Members will be allowed to book one 9 hole round per day in the first instance.
Booking will be via the Club V1 app , although the office will be manned if you have any issues.

The tee sheet for Thursday will go live tomorrow morning, and Friday booking will open on Wednesday.
Please remember this is uncharted territory so we will need to review regularly and could change at short notice according to guidelines and course usage.

I get its a flexible situation so I guess suck it and see for now. I imagine Thursday will go mad when the Saturday slots go live

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My club year runs from 1 July. Not short of cash but have just announced all renewals by 30 June will get £50 behind the bar plus 2 guest vouchers for 2, 3 or 4 ball rounds. And a cumulative 10% reduction for 5 years for the over 80s. All 'age category' (ie young) subs will be frozen for one year.

wrighty1874

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our club have said they are looking at ways to reward our loyalty. Don't know what yet, all I want is those new flagsticks that you can get your ball out with a putter without damage to the hole.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200513_140036_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200513_140036_com.android.chrome.jpg
    662.9 KB · Views: 23

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Played my first 9 today at 7.10am 2 balls only and pretty empty, course in great shape guess it should be being shut for 5 months through winter. greens slick and ironed :-0

Hope everyone enjoyed there day out. seems to work nicely quicker rounds with less faff just need 2 ball comps sorting out

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a chat with a member of my last club. What do you make of this:-

About 20 of the group I was associated with are on this furlough thing or are self employed have contacted the club to ask for reductions in fees / membership from point of joining in stead of April all have been told, nope, full membership or nothing pay now. So they have all decided to leave. This is really sad, as, in my opinion, they are the lads who provide the mid range golfers "crack". One in particular was the chief organiser of the group and was down at the club to plead his case to the club, was told nothing doing. So emptied his locker and vowed never to return. MASSIVE LOSS to the club. I hope I'm getting though here. The losses will be huge. Not just financial, but socially as well. They were the group who welcomed the hackers, jesus they even let me join them. God this is very sad. But why is the club that pleads that they are skint EVERY YEAR, now in thier hour of great need, you would think, are basically turning away money by refusing to deal? 20 x £800 is a lot of money to try and claw back. Especially with a club 2 miles down the road offering membership at £475 12 months from time of joining. Why do you think ? Sniffs air....bit funny to me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

About 20 of the group I was associated with are on this furlough thing or are self employed have contacted the club to ask for reductions in fees / membership from point of joining in stead of April all have been told, nope, full membership or nothing pay now. So they have all decided to leave. This is really sad, as, in my opinion, they are the lads who provide the mid range golfers "crack". One in particular was the chief organiser of the group and was down at the club to plead his case to the club, was told nothing doing. So emptied his locker and vowed never to return. MASSIVE LOSS to the club. I hope I'm getting though here. The losses will be huge. Not just financial, but socially as well. They were the group who welcomed the hackers, jesus they even let me join them. God this is very sad. But why is the club that pleads that they are skint EVERY YEAR, now in thier hour of great need, you would think, are basically turning away money by refusing to deal? 20 x £800 is a lot of money to try and claw back. Especially with a club 2 miles down the road offering membership at £475 12 months from time of joining. Why do you think ? Sniffs air....bit funny to me.
What's your take then?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

If they allow it for some, they have to do so for all. For some furlough will cause real financial issues. If for example they're on big money they will be losing loads. If they are on around the cut off level then furlough won't be costing them too mush with lack of travel and a few sensible cuts (golf maybe).

Add in the fact that if they're furloughed they are likely able to play even more and i find it hard to feel they're being unfairly treated. The sceptic in me see's it as a group trying to blag something.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If they allow it for some, they have to do so for all. For some furlough will cause real financial issues. If for example they're on big money they will be losing loads. If they are on around the cut off level then furlough won't be costing them too mush with lack of travel and a few sensible cuts (golf maybe).

Add in the fact that if they're furloughed they are likely able to play even more and i find it hard to feel they're being unfairly treated. The sceptic in me see's it as a group trying to blag something.

Regarding furlough and not costing people too much...the other side to remember is the uncertainty of being furloughed. Yes, it might seem ok at the minute with reduced outgoings and time off to play lots of golf. But it’s the uncertainty that’s a worry. Will the job be there in 2 months time? So many jobs will be lost through the approaching recession and so to me it’s understandable that these members are asking for help.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Regarding furlough and not costing people too much...the other side to remember is the uncertainty of being furloughed. Yes, it might seem ok at the minute with reduced outgoings and time off to play lots of golf. But it’s the uncertainty that’s a worry. Will the job be there in 2 months time? So many jobs will be lost through the approaching recession and so to me it’s understandable that these members are asking for help.

Thats very true, but if they have genuine concern the company they work for will lay them off, is it realistic to expect another company (golf club) to undervalue its resource?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess I look at this situation in 2 ways. The first is that if the club agrees this for one group of people, they need to offer it across the board. I guess exceptions could be made if evidence could be shown of short term financial hardship but, if things were that tight, why would you be paying a golf membership afterwards rather than suring up your finances.

The other way to look at it is that membership does appear to be a one way street. Many clubs saying 'please pay your membership, we need your help and your money even though we cannot offer you any golf for the time being' but, with the shoe on the other foot, how many clubs are willing to waive fees for a period or to allow a payment holiday for members who have fallen on harder times.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agree with the above. If it’s a members club, they can’t have it both ways with their ‘special’business model. Loyalty works 2 ways.
Also if 20 fellas wanted to join they’d definitely get a deal, why not a deal to stay?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I guess I look at this situation in 2 ways. The first is that if the club agrees this for one group of people, they need to offer it across the board. I guess exceptions could be made if evidence could be shown of short term financial hardship but, if things were that tight, why would you be paying a golf membership afterwards rather than suring up your finances.

The other way to look at it is that membership does appear to be a one way street. Many clubs saying 'please pay your membership, we need your help and your money even though we cannot offer you any golf for the time being' but, with the shoe on the other foot, how many clubs are willing to waive fees for a period or to allow a payment holiday for members who have fallen on harder times.

I think a lot of clubs will be struggling and I agree it seems a one-way street. Give us your money even though we can't offer value for that money invested. I do think unless a lot of clubs can get creative and attract new membership, especially without society or green fee revenue they will go out of business. Is that necessarily a bad thing? For a lot of golfers finding the annual subs is a big investment and so they need value for money and if other clubs nearby can offer that where is the incentive to stay

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
€200 voucher for green fee/club/trolley hire .
Sub now runs april to march instead of jan to dec
Nice touch realy doesnt cost club much if anything at all

Fish

Banned
Visit site
News & rumours circulating that a nearby [former] club has lost 300+ members and are down to around 550?

Many didn’t renew after requests for discounts and/or delays & deals were scoffed at, many stopped their direct debits so there’s been a mass exodus!

Apparently the course wasn’t great after the wet winter and they were much later getting back open and then we’re playing in a quagmire, then the lockdown happened which just exaggerated the problems and disgruntles.

Allegedly it’s been stated that anyone who didn’t renew or stopped their direct debits have essentially left the club, hence the 300+ being reported, and it’s been stated they will all have to reapply and pay a fee to rejoin!

Quite the opposite at my club, everyone has been 100% supportive.

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site

There is a Club in East Cheshire where for around £500 you can also play at their 9 hole Course and other 18 hole one on the Wirral, I know they would welcome any group of such people.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
News & rumours circulating that a nearby [former] club has lost 300+ members and are down to around 550?

Many didn’t renew after requests for discounts and/or delays & deals were scoffed at, many stopped their direct debits so there’s been a mass exodus!

Apparently the course wasn’t great after the wet winter and they were much later getting back open and then we’re playing in a quagmire, then the lockdown happened which just exaggerated the problems and disgruntles.

Allegedly it’s been stated that anyone who didn’t renew or stopped their direct debits have essentially left the club, hence the 300+ being reported, and it’s been stated they will all have to reapply and pay a fee to rejoin!

Quite the opposite at my club, everyone has been 100% supportive.

They've lost over 300 members
But still have 550
Wow...!!

That was a huge membership
I'd have hated to be a member somewhere like that with over 850 members, must be nightmare getting a game

Latest club only has about 280, I'd say only a handful have 500+ members up here

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Crazyface said:
"Had a chat with a member of my last club. What do you make of this:-

About 20 of the group I was associated with are on this furlough thing or are self employed have contacted the club to ask for reductions in fees / membership from point of joining in stead of April all have been told, nope, full membership or nothing pay now. So they have all decided to leave. This is really sad, as, in my opinion, they are the lads who provide the mid range golfers "crack". One in particular was the chief organiser of the group and was down at the club to plead his case to the club, was told nothing doing. So emptied his locker and vowed never to return. MASSIVE LOSS to the club. I hope I'm getting though here. The losses will be huge. Not just financial, but socially as well. They were the group who welcomed the hackers, jesus they even let me join them. God this is very sad. But why is the club that pleads that they are skint EVERY YEAR, now in thier hour of great need, you would think, are basically turning away money by refusing to deal? 20 x £800 is a lot of money to try and claw back. Especially with a club 2 miles down the road offering membership at £475 12 months from time of joining. Why do you think ? Sniffs air....bit funny to me."

HS "What's your take then? "

Er....well I've had a VERY long chat with another member there, a very good mate actually, and.er one reason was they actually didn't want this person at the club, for reasons that I didn't know about, but had suspicions. So there you go, one view from one, and another view from another. It sounds like they have lost a few, but had enough members paying up at renewal time as they knew if they didn't the club would now be gone.

Lesson learnt.....

Fish

Banned
Visit site
They've lost over 300 members
But still have 550
Wow...!!

That was a huge membership
I'd have hated to be a member somewhere like that with over 850 members, must be nightmare getting a game

Latest club only has about 280, I'd say only a handful have 500+ members up here

Most clubs around here are circa 750 - 1,000, I know we’re close to the latter.

It’s all about balance then between 5-day & 7-day, and those that are mainly social golfers who only play late afternoons in the week and/or at the weekends, plus many seniors are 5-day, ladies don’t play on Saturdays and juniors don’t either.

Even with that high a total membership, the ‘active’ competitive golfers are limited, our medal & board comps attract a field of around 180.

So it’s not a big number tbh.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Crazyface said:
"Had a chat with a member of my last club. What do you make of this:-

About 20 of the group I was associated with are on this furlough thing or are self employed have contacted the club to ask for reductions in fees / membership from point of joining in stead of April all have been told, nope, full membership or nothing pay now. So they have all decided to leave. This is really sad, as, in my opinion, they are the lads who provide the mid range golfers "crack". One in particular was the chief organiser of the group and was down at the club to plead his case to the club, was told nothing doing. So emptied his locker and vowed never to return. MASSIVE LOSS to the club. I hope I'm getting though here. The losses will be huge. Not just financial, but socially as well. They were the group who welcomed the hackers, jesus they even let me join them. God this is very sad. But why is the club that pleads that they are skint EVERY YEAR, now in thier hour of great need, you would think, are basically turning away money by refusing to deal? 20 x £800 is a lot of money to try and claw back. Especially with a club 2 miles down the road offering membership at £475 12 months from time of joining. Why do you think ? Sniffs air....bit funny to me."

HS "What's your take then? "

Er....well I've had a VERY long chat with another member there, a very good mate actually, and.er one reason was they actually didn't want this person at the club, for reasons that I didn't know about, but had suspicions. So there you go, one view from one, and another view from another. It sounds like they have lost a few, but had enough members paying up at renewal time as they knew if they didn't the club would now be gone.

Lesson learnt.....

Like you say not everything is as clear cut as it seems but in the grand scheme of things if you are getting most paying up and can get a few local nomads desperate to play regularly then happy days

PaulS

Visit site
Most clubs around here are circa 750 - 1,000, I know we’re close to the latter.

It’s all about balance then between 5-day & 7-day, and those that are mainly social golfers who only play late afternoons in the week and/or at the weekends, plus many seniors are 5-day, ladies don’t play on Saturdays and juniors don’t either.

Even with that high a total membership, the ‘active’ competitive golfers are limited, our medal & board comps attract a field of around 180.

So it’s not a big number tbh.

Do these clubs have just the one course ? That’s a lot of members just for one course