Subscriptions/current course closures - what is your club doing?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Do these clubs have just the one course ? That’s a lot of members just for one course

Yes, some of us would like less, but it is what it is, you’d be surprised how many ‘active’ members there are at any one course, irrelevant of gross membership numbers.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Having up to 1000 members is fairly common place, even here in NI, my club has 1000 members (1 course though some are house members or limited day members. I heard a small percentage have not renewed, they will now have to rejoin through the normal joining route as plenty of time and methods were given to pay. Having let the course be used for exercise it might actually work in our favour though as there have been several new enquiries for membership.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a 2 months compensation scheme that has a number of options. You can either: A. Decide to let the club keep the 2 months subs as a donation. B. Have the value of those 2 months put on your bar card or C. Decide on a mixture of A and B.
Any members who are experiencing extreme hardship can also have their specific cases looked at for alternatives.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our club - Badgemore Park, has been excellent during the lockdown in keeping members informed of the actions that have been taken.

Now that they are able to open again, they've been very good at implementing a phased re-introduction and keeping the members safe and well within the guidelines.

Membership renewal is June 1st and the members have been offered the alternative of 1 month extra on the membership year or a top up on their bar card to compensate for the period that the course had to be closed. Very well managed I'd say.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Crazyface said:
"Had a chat with a member of my last club. What do you make of this:-

About 20 of the group I was associated with are on this furlough thing or are self employed have contacted the club to ask for reductions in fees / membership from point of joining in stead of April all have been told, nope, full membership or nothing pay now. So they have all decided to leave. This is really sad, as, in my opinion, they are the lads who provide the mid range golfers "crack". One in particular was the chief organiser of the group and was down at the club to plead his case to the club, was told nothing doing. So emptied his locker and vowed never to return. MASSIVE LOSS to the club. I hope I'm getting though here. The losses will be huge. Not just financial, but socially as well. They were the group who welcomed the hackers, jesus they even let me join them. God this is very sad. But why is the club that pleads that they are skint EVERY YEAR, now in thier hour of great need, you would think, are basically turning away money by refusing to deal? 20 x £800 is a lot of money to try and claw back. Especially with a club 2 miles down the road offering membership at £475 12 months from time of joining. Why do you think ? Sniffs air....bit funny to me."

HS "What's your take then? "

Er....well I've had a VERY long chat with another member there, a very good mate actually, and.er one reason was they actually didn't want this person at the club, for reasons that I didn't know about, but had suspicions. So there you go, one view from one, and another view from another. It sounds like they have lost a few, but had enough members paying up at renewal time as they knew if they didn't the club would now be gone.

Lesson learnt.....[/QUOTE]

Club takes opportunity to rid themselves of unscrupulous members who tried to turn the crisis into an opportunity to blackmail them could be one take on it. Sounds like at least one of the 20 wasn't the model member that the club would want, but they've spared themselves the rigmarole of proving the alleged offence and accepted his resignation instead.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most clubs around here are circa 750 - 1,000, I know we’re close to the latter.
Interesting. Yorkshire has 10% of the affiliated clubs and 10% of the affiliated playing members of England Golf but there only 7 clubs with over 600 playing members.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting. Yorkshire has 10% of the affiliated clubs and 10% of the affiliated playing members of England Golf but there only 7 clubs with over 600 playing members.
Is that because there are more clubs for them to be a member of, they spread out better than in the case of Fish's area or do they cap membership at a lower level on the whole?

Interesting stat ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As Boris has announced non-eesential shops are clear to reopen on June 15th, what do we think the implications will be for golfers. Do you think this signals a chance to extend golf to 3-4 balls as surely there is still more chance to socially isolate playing even on tee boxes and greens. Clearly 19th holes remain off limits for now but I hope we can take a step further towards golfing normality

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
As Boris has announced non-eesential shops are clear to reopen on June 15th, what do we think the implications will be for golfers. Do you think this signals a chance to extend golf to 3-4 balls as surely there is still more chance to socially isolate playing even on tee boxes and greens. Clearly 19th holes remain off limits for now but I hope we can take a step further towards golfing normality

No, pro shop can open again nothing else. Once people from more than one household can meet socially then you get more than 2 balls. Retail has nothing to do with it, it is purely the circumstances and number of people who can meet socially. If I can meet with 2 households outside, three balls will be ok, once I can meet with 3 households, 4 balls are ok. Simply means golfers are tied to the same rules as everyone else.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
A friends renewal was 1st June, the club said they would add the closed time to the end of the membership which he expected to be this years membership pushing his renewal forward 6 weeks.
Renewal arrives and the club said they would only add it to the end of next year if he renewed. Needless to say he and 2 others left.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
A friends renewal was 1st June, the club said they would add the closed time to the end of the membership which he expected to be this years membership pushing his renewal forward 6 weeks.
Renewal arrives and the club said they would only add it to the end of next year if he renewed. Needless to say he and 2 others left.

That's hardly surprising though surely

If renewal is 1st June, then they'd want renewals, cash flow, then see number of retained members from renewals, and form a budget for the next 12 months from these figures.

There's nothing unreasonable about the clubs proposal at all

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
That's hardly surprising though surely

If renewal is 1st June, then they'd want renewals, cash flow, then see number of retained members from renewals, and form a budget for the next 12 months from these figures.

There's nothing unreasonable about the clubs proposal at all

It wouldn't have been unreasonable if it was what was agreed. It was agreed that the time the club was shut down would be added to the end of the active membership.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

Sounds like they were going to leave anyway so no long term benefit to the club, they werent planning to support the club financially in the next year which will be tough, so they reward those that are renewing?

Sounds entirely reasonable and sensible to me, works both ways

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was decided the membership would run from May 1st instead of April 1st,

since re-opening we have had a steady uptake in membership, down from last years finishing total but more or less the same as this time last year.

Members can now bring guests after 2pm, and we have had almost 20 in since the weekend,

Next stage is to allow 18 hole bookings, currently we are asked to just book 9 holes, if when getting round the tee is free the option is there to continue. Seems to be working well, no complaints from the membership yet