Subscriptions/current course closures - what is your club doing?

Pjwgov

Hacker
Visit site
I believe there are a fair few.looking to join local links courses and others who will look at other courses with better winter track records.

My course has already responded by saying they are looking to invest in improving the drainage to try and make it more payable during the set months, which would seem wise if we are now looking at wetter winters.
May I ask which course this is please?

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There are a few members at Pyrford who refused to pay their monthly DDs during the first lockdown and have already stated they will do the same now.
The club have e-mailed everyone today stating that this is their right but they will be regarded as having terminated their membership.
New members in 2021 will pay a higher rate than existing members so these people will be regarded as new members and also restricted to less booking rights at the outset.
Which has annoyed the few but has been greatly appreciated by the majority who were pretty annoyed at them getting away with it first time round.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
From what I have heard, there is talk about bringing back the joining fee at my old club as of April next year and this will be applicable to those who took the last year off, whether due to Covid or not.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes, like many others we did fairly badly retention-wise, back last April but did attract a considerable number of new golfers from the ranks of the furloughed & those working-from-home managing their day, as well as footballers & cricketers unable to play their usual game. Now, being so new to the golfing world it's hard to know what they will think of the cost of their 'missed' golf & whether they'll renew membership.
Do you know if there are going to be any deals at your place once the courses open up again?

Pjwgov

Hacker
Visit site
Yes, like many others we did fairly badly retention-wise, back last April but did attract a considerable number of new golfers from the ranks of the furloughed & those working-from-home managing their day, as well as footballers & cricketers unable to play their usual game. Now, being so new to the golfing world it's hard to know what they will think of the cost of their 'missed' golf & whether they'll renew membership.
We had alot of flexi members joining, and the benefit of this membership is you don't lose any time.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We had alot of flexi members joining, and the benefit of this membership is you don't lose any time.
Flexible membership makes a lot of sense and it's what I'll be looking at when the situation sorts itself out. I was a full member at Cooden for a while, but it's not a winter course. I cannot see the point of paying for 12 months membership when realistically you can only play for 8 months of the year. At over £100.00 a month on direct debit, you might as well go outside and set light to £400.00 in the car park. Really feel for you guys that have shelled out all that dosh

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you know if there are going to be any deals at your place once the courses open up again?
As I understand there are always deals on the go. You'd need to speak to Nigel or Matt in the shop as I don't know where they are with things in that respect.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you not get 'a bit' of resentment from the Full Members who are in essence keeping the Club going so you're able to dip in & out as you choose?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you not get 'a bit' of resentment from the Full Members who are in essence keeping the Club going so you're able to dip in & out as you choose?

I can't say I've noticed this at Canterbury tbh, flexible members don't get to play in the major comps and have restricted weekend tee bookings.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Just had an email from the club. We're renewing as normal, but when the club re-opens after lockdown, we have two options, which we can all make our own individual choice on:

A credit of 60% of the pro rata rate of the closure period. e.g. if closed for 50 days it will be 50/365x 60% x annual membership. To be added to club card for use in bar or restaurant.

or

A credit of 40% of the pro rata rate of the closure period. e.g. if closed for 50 days it will be 50/365x 40% x annual membership. To be credited back to the members bank account.

Pjwgov

Hacker
Visit site
I'm a full member, we don't resent flexi members, more the club for not distinguishing between those that pay £1800per Yr or those paying £600

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As of yet - nothing from the club, no incentives or directions as to how it's going to be. I'm a monthly payer and have been since I joined in January. Luckily I've not been furloughed etc so have been paying as normal. I hope they do something as not everyone has been lucky to work or have hit harder times.