Sport on Terrestrial Telly

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I can see it now!!!

no overseas games, no one days games, no country cricket, no test matches, no Cricket discussion programs or Highlights on TV apart form the Ashes... then maybe not if England are losing or the BBC has something better to put on

Last edited:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Sounded a great finish to the golf and the R&A really lucked out with an Irish winner in the first open played in Ireland for a long time in front of passionate Irish fans. I bet they are really pleased that it was shown to as wider audience as possible ;)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sounded a great finish to the golf and the R&A really lucked out with an Irish winner in the first open played in Ireland for a long time in front of passionate Irish fans. I bet they are really pleased that it was shown to as wider audience as possible ;)

and then they check the bank balance after sky have paid their balance and everythings ok again

and round and round and round in circles we go

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Not sure the non golfing public would have cared less. No names that Joe public would recognise, no real charge from the field, no jostling for the lead. Really not sure that the TV audience would be huge. In any event, the BBC have no interest in paying for full coverage so the R&A have the best deal possible

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure the non golfing public would have cared less. No names that Joe public would recognise, no real charge from the field, no jostling for the lead. Really not sure that the TV audience would be huge. In any event, the BBC have no interest in paying for full coverage so the R&A have the best deal possible

I would suggest the reason 'Joe Public' would have little knowledge of 'the names' is because Sky have a narrow target audience... The already converted...

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would suggest the reason 'Joe Public' would have little knowledge of 'the names' is because Sky have a narrow target audience... The already converted...
Not really. Due to the lack of wider media coverage, the public hears very little about sport outside of football. Reckon Wimbledon figures would plummet if the top seeded 3 or 4 men were not in the semi finals and that you is on TV every year. Public at large would not recognise those taking part. Reckon I could probably have named 2 or 3 golfers when I was younger and the open was the terrestrial TV. Whilst I can appreciate the points made, I really do not think terrestrial TV coverage makes much difference. Hell, I know enough golfers who find watching golf boring.

What it appears to me us that football is suffocating other sports. Even during the closed season it dominates the media coverage then during the season it swallows broadcasting budgets. It would be so good to see the BBC diverting that match of the day money into showing other sports but will never happen.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Wimbledon is on the BBC wall-to-wall every year. I love sport and know more than the average Joe Public. But outside of the two Williams sisters and Johanna Konta, I can't name a single female player. What did tennis on terrestrial TV do to improve my knowledge of the game?

People watch sports that interest them. And in the modern world, that does not mean every sport has to be on the BBC just because it was 40 years ago when we only had three channels.

D

Deleted member 15344

Wimbledon is on the BBC wall-to-wall every year. I love sport and know more than the average Joe Public. But outside of the two Williams sisters and Johanna Konta, I can't name a single female player. What did tennis on terrestrial TV do to improve my knowledge of the game?

People watch sports that interest them. And in the modern world, that does not mean every sport has to be on the BBC just because it was 40 years ago when we only had three channels.

😂😂😂 - in true journo style , maybe the US sports

And just because you don’t know the female tennis players doesnt mean that having Wimbledon on Terrestrial telly doesn’t help tennis in this country - it just means you don’t know sport as well as you claim. If you read papers or look at websites at the time of any big tennis event and it’s covered it many other players - it prob just doesn’t interest you.
Not really. Due to the lack of wider media coverage, the public hears very little about sport outside of football. Reckon Wimbledon figures would plummet if the top seeded 3 or 4 men were not in the semi finals and that you is on TV every year. Public at large would not recognise those taking part. Reckon I could probably have named 2 or 3 golfers when I was younger and the open was the terrestrial TV. Whilst I can appreciate the points made, I really do not think terrestrial TV coverage makes much difference. Hell, I know enough golfers who find watching golf boring.

What it appears to me us that football is suffocating other sports. Even during the closed season it dominates the media coverage then during the season it swallows broadcasting budgets. It would be so good to see the BBC diverting that match of the day money into showing other sports but will never happen.

You make a very good point about football overriding everything and even in the summer - an example is this weekend , The Open is on yet what does Sky have on their main event channel ? A pre season friendly - without selling the football rights abroad the Sky wouldn’t be viable , that’s what gives them the spending power to hoover up everything and that’s the sport that attracts the subscribers and it’s not even the ones in the Uk - they make a fortune from selling to the Far East etc. The likes of Amazon coming into the market may make a dent in that and at some point if they keep loosing packages then some other sports will migrate back to Terrestrial Telly - and golf could be one of them

But as an example of the effect of more people watching - apparently over 60’000 people applied to join a cricket club this week after watching Sunday’s final - i very much doubt if that number would have happened if Channel 4 didn’t show the final

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
😂😂😂 - in true journo style , maybe the US sports

And just because you don’t know the female tennis players doesnt mean that having Wimbledon on Terrestrial telly doesn’t help tennis in this country - it just means you don’t know sport as well as you claim. If you read papers or look at websites at the time of any big tennis event and it’s covered it many other players - it prob just doesn’t interest you.

You make a very good point about football overriding everything and even in the summer - an example is this weekend , The Open is on yet what does Sky have on their main event channel ? A pre season friendly - without selling the football rights abroad the Sky wouldn’t be viable , that’s what gives them the spending power to hoover up everything and that’s the sport that attracts the subscribers and it’s not even the ones in the Uk - they make a fortune from selling to the Far East etc. The likes of Amazon coming into the market may make a dent in that and at some point if they keep loosing packages then some other sports will migrate back to Terrestrial Telly - and golf could be one of them

But as an example of the effect of more people watching - apparently over 60’000 people applied to join a cricket club this week after watching Sunday’s final - i very much doubt if that number would have happened if Channel 4 didn’t show the final

Sky don't resell the rights abroad. The Premier League do. Sky receive no money from that.

The fact is that BBC, ITV and Ch4 could show more sport if they wanted to. But they dont.

The other fact is many sports people in the UK wouldn't be professional if it wasn't for Sky. That isn't necessarily a good thing, but it is true.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site

I entirely agree the Premier League is 'suffocating' other sports...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sky don't resell the rights abroad. The Premier League do. Sky receive no money from that.

The fact is that BBC, ITV and Ch4 could show more sport if they wanted to. But they dont.

The other fact is many sports people in the UK wouldn't be professional if it wasn't for Sky. That isn't necessarily a good thing, but it is true.
Totally agree with this, particularly your last sentence. There seem to be a lot of people believing that a sport owes them a living now, when that sport is not really commercially viable.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site

I love my sports also... And, despite Sky's (supposedly) great support of golf i doubt I could manage naming more than handful of current of lady players...

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Not sure where you've (seemingly) plucked the figure 4 from...

Quite simple I’d have thought. Terrestrial tv has no interest in golf. So at very best they would only show the majors.
20/30 years ago when there was less choice for tv people would watch all the sporting events they could get and it would work to build a sport.

Nowadays with so much being available, if we only saw 4 events a year then it wouldn’t work.

I love my sports also... And, despite Sky's (supposedly) great support of golf i doubt I could manage naming more than handful of current of lady players...

But you still know it’s there IF you wanted to view it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hang on, you're defending the BBC's showing of indoor bowls as a "sport" !!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

To an extent - as I do find bowls enjoyable - but from the BBC TV perspective I'm defending it as something that many of those with time on their hands of an afternoon might enjoy watching...

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do feel that people over emphasise the impact that sport on terrestrial TV has on kids giving it a go. To a certain extent, I would question whether that was ever the case. Certainly I started playing rugby because that was the sport that my dad played, he took me to coaching to give it a try etc. Same with my little nephew. His dad liked cricket and rugby and so took him to those to give it a go. My nephew watches football all the time but has no interest in playing it other than the odd kick around.

You can then look at it in the context of the Open. Golf has 2 failings, it cannot be played in the street with your mates and it takes a high degree of commitment before you can even achieve some of the basics and even more time and effort before you can get out on a course. With the attention span of kids these days, you can show them golf on TV until you are blue in the face and it is just not going to click. Controversial I know but for most people I know, golf is something you take up when you can no longer play your preferred, more physically demanding sport and golf authorities would be as well targeting people 35 plus.

You then have the whole point of golf as a spectacle. At best, the drama is slow burning and you need time and a decent attention span to get anything out of watching it. Again, not something that is immediately attractive to kids. Kids also do not watch much terrestrial TV. Put it on youtube or Netflix and there may be more chance.

The coverage is also pretty mediocre when you compare it to developments for other sports. Whether you like it or not, football leads the way with graphics, camera work, everything to produce a bright and attractive package. What has golf added in the last decade, maybe shot tracer and that is it. We may like the pure experience of just watching the golf but kids don't. Hell, in this day and age, it is not even possible in many circumstances to follow one golfer round for the whole day on the red button or just watch coverage of one hole. With technology as it is, it really should be possible to make an event 'as live' being able to pick a viewing position, stay with it as long as you like, follow certain groups etc but golf just does not justify such innovation.

Then you have the issue of actually taking your interest in golf further. Kid sees the Open, quite likes it and asks if he/she can go and watch some golf, watch the people they have just seen on TV live. Sorry, not until next year pretty much. They all play in America and Dubai now.

What is my suggestion, bring back Grandstand on a Saturday afternoon. Do not focus it on football but show a wide and ever changing range of sports at all levels. I am sure that the rights would not break the bank. Through that I was as a kid given access to all sorts of sporting events with a chance to pick and choose what I wanted to participate in. If I did not like a sport, I still turned in the following week as something else would be on. It even works for golf as the coverage could be interspersed with other events so as there is no quiet time between shots etc.