Lack of golf on terrestrial TV - Golf Monthly Feature

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
They would have to deal with adverts - one of the biggest complaints in television broadcasting adverts - and let’s be honest the level of programs on ITV compared to the BBC is night and day , the level of funding would drop significantly also

As for the free to air football package - itv did have it for a while and the drop in viewers was quite drastic
So a minor inconvenience all but eliminated by a cheap smartbox is enough to warrant the whole country paying a licence fee. As for itv, why did it drop. Still free football highlights, no net loss, no need for the BBC to spend on it. As I mentioned, the BBC is funded so as to show programming not catered for on other channels so viewing figures are a moot point.

D

Deleted member 15344

So a minor inconvenience all but eliminated by a cheap smartbox is enough to warrant the whole country paying a licence fee. As for itv, why did it drop. Still free football highlights, no net loss, no need for the BBC to spend on it. As I mentioned, the BBC is funded so as to show programming not catered for on other channels so viewing figures are a moot point.

The BBC is funded to cater for the whole country - every demographic , every age , everyone , kids , ladies , men , old , young , popular soaps , popular drama , They cover the whole range including finding a way to show some sports that are hidden behind a pay wall that a lot of people can’t afford or justify the cost.

Not sure what this cheap smartbox is but even if it’s cheap it’s still a cost. And why did the viewing figures drop when it went to ITV ? No idea.

The BBC provide a valuable service - excellent programming for a wide range of audience at a small cost compared to subscription telly , they do it without the need to be commercial and they also provide valuable online and radio services for many. It’s a public service that many around the world would love instead of nothing but pay tv

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
They would have to deal with adverts - one of the biggest complaints in television broadcasting adverts - and let’s be honest the level of programs on ITV compared to the BBC is night and day , the level of funding would drop significantly also

As for the free to air football package - itv did have it for a while and the drop in viewers was quite drastic

When you look at ITV's viewing figures there's plenty of people(millions) willing to put up with adverts. And if you consider that if over 10,000,000 people are willing to watch a programme the quality can't be all bad.

The BBC is funded to cater for the whole country - every demographic , every age , everyone , kids , ladies , men , old , young , popular soaps , popular drama , They cover the whole range including finding a way to show some sports that are hidden behind a pay wall that a lot of people can’t afford or justify the cost.

Not sure what this cheap smartbox is but even if it’s cheap it’s still a cost. And why did the viewing figures drop when it went to ITV ? No idea.

The BBC provide a valuable service - excellent programming for a wide range of audience at a small cost compared to subscription telly , they do it without the need to be commercial and they also provide valuable online and radio services for many. It’s a public service that many around the world would love instead of nothing but pay tv

ITV schedules a wide cross section too, and without public funding. And then there's commercial radio...

Your love-fest for the Beeb isn't really selling it as being better than the commercial channels.

Anyway, this is getting away from the topic.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think it needs a sort of Match of the day programme.
Maybe on Sunday night and repeated in the week at 5pm when kids are home from school.
But young people don’t watch much tv now it’s all computers and phones.

I agree and there's already several ready made weekly programmes ready to show (Golfing World is just one) even excluding programmes generated from the Tours themselves. Does any channel even show Golfing World or similar in the UK?

Unlike Movies the value of almost any Sports broadcasting rights is worth pennies on the dollar just a few days after the outcome/result. Its broadcast/subscription value really only resides in being seen 'live' and for highlights only its worth a few days later is even smaller
Within 12 hours there's a 1 hour highlights programme ready for each day of the of the big two tours and by Monday night there's a one hour programme that covers all 4 days
If there actually is an opportunity to snare channel hoppers and casual viewers into sparking an interest then showing golf like this (even if its 1-2 weeks after the actual event) would be very inexpensive

Also, if we want to gauge if there's any interest from terrestrial channels in golf then as news outlets I believe the BBC news (and others) can already get short clips from the territorial broadcaster for editorial purposes. This would mean the BBC news, ITV news, CH4 news etc will routinely already be showing these video clips within the sports news round-ups they do each day. Does that happen just now? If not it answers, at least in part, whether there is any desire there

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would like to see some market research and the data on actual routes into golf in the UK. I'm not convinced TV is as significant a gateway as people think because I suspect us golfers add a lot of confirmation bias when thinking back through the rose-tinted spectacles of time.

Back on track and away from the arguments of the BBC licence fee and value for money, I think this hits the nail on the head. Has anybody (GM - one for you guys???) actually done any research into people getting into golf. I know I've always said seeing Seve made him my sporting idol and I wanted to play like him but the truth was I was already interested in the game through my dad being a member and having played pitch and putt and been to the range so not sure I could really argue TV was my route in. I suspect TV actually accounts for very few getting involved and so from that perspective alone, I'#d argue that not having golf on terrestrial golf does very little if anything to participation numbers and even if the Open and other events were shown, take up numbers as a result would remain largely unchanged. I think non-golfers find other ways other than TV into the game and the numbers picking up a club solely on TV viewing are marginal

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I remember watching golf from about 1970. Even ITV used to show the Benson and Hedges International (or some other fag company) but it wasn't until we moved to within 500 yards of a golf course did I show any inclination of wanting to play. Maybe today's improved (IMO) coverage may inspire a few more if it was on free to view but I am dubious.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I would like to see some market research and the data on actual routes into golf in the UK. I'm not convinced TV is as significant a gateway as people think because I suspect us golfers add a lot of confirmation bias when thinking back through the rose-tinted spectacles of time.

You are spot on in my opinion.

Golf in this country relies way too much on mom and pop taking a child along to their golf club and hopefully they'll want to get into the sport. I started in a field along from my house with friends as I grew up.

Golf isn't accessible to all nor is it "cheap". It also takes too long and attitudes seriously need to change to encourage junior members.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
We're writing a feature for the October issue on golf on TV, and the fact there's not a lot of it on free to view TV, asking whether this hurts the game in this country.

We wanted to get some opinion.

Would more golf on terrestrial TV improve participation at grassroots level?

Argument on the flip side is that there are now more ways than ever to follow the golf via various channels...

But are these only followed by people who already enjoy golf and are not stumbled on by those just looking for something to watch on telly of a Sunday afternoon?

Please reply as usual so we can see your thoughts.

Tom

I think golf, like many sports, has moved to pay TV and it's very difficult to imagine it coming back.

Going forward, as streaming becomes more the norm for delivering a product, we are moving towards a scenario whereby consumers pay to stream directly from the Tours. It will be very difficult for the likes of Sky to compete with this kind of business model, as a 'pick and choose' approach becomes the norm i.e. I want Golf TV, Arsenal TV, Champions League and Darts.

Many of the American sports already operate this like this.

The challenge for broadcasters will then be to try and pick up new viewers, or those new to the sport. Channel hopping was certainly an effective way of doing that, but that will no longer be the case. I guess marketing, free views, deals will play their part. For golf it is going to revolve around getting people interested in the big events such as the majors and the Ryder Cup and hoping that a few of them stick.

However I think Golf and all sports in general are going to have a job on their hands capturing audience share of the younger generations. We are already in a world where the choice of things to do, be interested in or spend money on is endless and growing all the time. The days of having 4 channels and golf being on one of them for 8 hours a day every few weeks throughout the summer are gone and they are never coming back.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My last memory of the beebs open coverage was a Rain delay, all the showed for hours was rain hitting the window of the com box.

The Beeb added nothing to the coverage for golf fans unlike Sky, the same with the cricket

if its ever to be on FTA TV again let someone else have a crack, not the poor efforts of those that did nothing special before

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
If terrestrial tv invested in the game like Sky has done then im sure it would grow the game. For me it was simply never promoted growing up. I was really sporty and tried most sports, however, I was never interested in golf and didn't know how to get into the game other than smashing balls at the driving range. For me, terrestrial TV/youtube is one way forward but for me, I think that golf clubs and the governing bodies should get into schools to try and promote the game.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I can’t see how that’s measurable, there’s far too many other factors that could be a cause for any reduction in participation than just what golf is televised on, as has been covered within many posts already.
I'm inclined to agree - which brings into question the entire principle of the OP!

But rate of decline for 2-3 years immediately before the loss of F2V compared to the same period immediately after could well indicate whether, or not, (the loss of) F2V was a factor in participation. Certainly more likely to get an indication (even a negative one) than the 'wet finger in the air' approach proposed!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would love to see golf played more in schools but then you have the issue of getting them on a course. Cannot see many clubs taking to the idea of handing the Wednesday afternoon tee times to the local school.

My old school did offer golf but there were only 6 places and you needed a handicap to be considered.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm going back to the original questions asks (quote edited for clarity)

1. Would more golf on terrestrial TV improve participation at grassroots level?

2. Argument on the flip side is that there are now more ways than ever to follow the golf via various channels... But are these only followed by people who already enjoy golf and are not stumbled on by those just looking for something to watch on telly of a Sunday afternoon?

There's a significant leap between 1 and 2 here. Many have assumed that terrestrial TV appeals to and is watched by all demographics. It isn't. So who are we trying to attract?

Children, teenagers, early career adults, students, mid career adults, late career adults, retirees? Who is the target?

The answer is that broadcast TV should only be one part of a structured, cross-media plan. Each demographic has different habits and lifestyle. There isn't a single approach that is consumed by all.

To grow participation, the first thing that should be done is to identify which demographic(s) will best deliver growth, then focus effort on the best channels and platforms that appeal to them. TV may or may not be the appropriate channel at all for that demographic.

Until someone takes the time to come up with a structured plan and target market for growing golf I honestly think the TV debate (as much as I enjoy it) is peeing into the wind and most likely a white elephant full of anecdotal stories and confirmation bias as I previously wrote.

It all needs money and people though. The two things which golfers can never agree on. ;)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would love to see golf played more in schools but then you have the issue of getting them on a course. Cannot see many clubs taking to the idea of handing the Wednesday afternoon tee times to the local school.

My old school did offer golf but there were only 6 places and you needed a handicap to be considered.
They do it in the USA.
But they invest in the future of the kids.
Some schools here can’t afford books never mind taking kids to play golf!

D

Deleted member 15344

Our club has an afternoon where the kids use the practise area to play golf related games - clubs won’t give up the course as you say though. But there are lots of clubs offering free taster and academy sessions and we work ok partnership with schools to give them tasters etc

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our club has an afternoon where the kids use the practise area to play golf related games - clubs won’t give up the course as you say though. But there are lots of clubs offering free taster and academy sessions and we work ok partnership with schools to give them tasters etc
I think this is a fundamental problem with golf.
You need to learn to hit the ball before you can go on the course , most give up to soon .
But some people just want to play the course from day one.

We have a lot of taster sessions for ladies and juniors but not for men! Don’t know why.
To join my club is £1400 plus £1400 joining fee so £2800 for men.
Discounted for women no JF, and very cheap for kids.
But if you don’t get men in they won’t bring their kids but that’s to expensive for most working lads imo.

Last taster we had two boys and one girl turned up after a local ad in the paper.
Maybe if they saw more on telly they might be interested but they need sky to watch it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I know a few clubs that are doing more with schools these days and will do group lessons on the practice grounds. Seems a logical way to attract kids who may not have parents playing the game but in my opinion it needs the governing bodies to make funds available to take golf into all schools with links in place for those that want to take it further and learn to play.