Athletics World Champs

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thing is, during my youth, some athletics was peak viewing that everyone talked about. Coe and Ovett, Daley Thompson and on to Lynford Chrstie, Sally Gunnell etc. Everyone could name these athletes and life stopped to watch them compete. Now the interest is just not there. Yes, London can fill a stadium based on tying it in with the 2012 Olympics (Legacy Games etc) and people will turn up (though with more of the big names retiring I am not sure that you can still guarantee that) but I just sense that the market for athletics is not there at the moment. No doubting that Doha is an extreme but, as I mentioned before, I do think that the popularity of the Olympics gives athletics and over inflated impression of its position in world sport and how many people it can attract on a regular basis.

If there can be some success stories on the track (thinking gold or maybe silver medals) for GB at the next Olympics then we may see a resurgence of interest but, as people have mentioned, I am a follower of sport in general, read the sports pages every day and even I am hard pressed to name any of our current medal hopes. So far it seems we have one silver medal at the World Championships so cannot see that setting the viewing public alight.

D

Deleted member 15344

Thing is, during my youth, some athletics was peak viewing that everyone talked about. Coe and Ovett, Daley Thompson and on to Lynford Chrstie, Sally Gunnell etc. Everyone could name these athletes and life stopped to watch them compete. Now the interest is just not there. Yes, London can fill a stadium based on tying it in with the 2012 Olympics (Legacy Games etc) and people will turn up (though with more of the big names retiring I am not sure that you can still guarantee that) but I just sense that the market for athletics is not there at the moment. No doubting that Doha is an extreme but, as I mentioned before, I do think that the popularity of the Olympics gives athletics and over inflated impression of its position in world sport and how many people it can attract on a regular basis.

If there can be some success stories on the track (thinking gold or maybe silver medals) for GB at the next Olympics then we may see a resurgence of interest but, as people have mentioned, I am a follower of sport in general, read the sports pages every day and even I am hard pressed to name any of our current medal hopes. So far it seems we have one silver medal at the World Championships so cannot see that setting the viewing public alight.

Something else that doesn’t help is the timing

Normally the championships are held in the summer when the amount of sport on is limited to cricket mainly , because it’s being held in Doha it was moved so now it’s competing against the Rugby World Cup and the Football

The initial point wasn’t about the viewers in the UK , it’s more down to the lack of people in the stadium watching them - all previous Champs in London , China , Russia , Korea , Berlin etc have had sell out sessions - especially they blue riband events even if not every session was full - London was the biggest for them.

Where as the current Champs in Doha is showing to be a massive issue with not even a quarter full and people running in near empty stadium - it’s not great for these athletes

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yet over a million watched it when it went to London in 2017 , sold out Diamond League meetings at the Olympic Stadium before and at various other events including the national champs etc

The sport is very well supported all over the world - except in the Middle East , they only want it to showcase that they can show events but it’s showing up that their public aren’t interested it , it’s not glamorous enough for them - at one stage they were even willing to pay Bolt a lot of money just to run a relay. It’s poor for the athletes because any other country they would be racing in front of good crowds.
I do watch athletics and your right it’s a pity for The athletes.
But anyone with half a brain could have told them this could happen.
Certain sports don’t suit some climates .
There’s a world apart between Doha and London!

It’s like “growing the game” the reason used for the World Cup.
Some people are just not interested.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I have just a passing interest in the sport same with some other sports , I just read the news or listen to it or QoS - those names are out there in the sports news but I guess you could ask the same to people about most sports these days , doesn’t mean they aren’t popular or people don’t watch it. The World Athletics is still a global event - normally when it’s hosted the crowds are there even before Bolt , the event right now in Doha is a major flop in regards the people watching in the stands

Excellent input - up there with your normal standard of adding zero to the thread 🙄

Bit strange starting a thread about a subject you only ha a passing interest in 🙄

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Monty Python had it right with their version of the Olympics. The 100m for the deaf, the 200m for people with no sense of direction and the marathon for incontinents where all the competitors were just dying to go.

Lyle77

Visit site
Absolutely fantastic for KJT. After enduring so much heartache in previous Hepatahlons it's a testament to her focus, dedication and hard work that got her a well deserved Gold medal with PBs across multiple events. Here's hoping that come the Olympics she can replicate that again.

Hopefully, Laura Muir can continue the British success tomorrow.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
hats off to KJT, broke Ennis British record and so close to the 7k mark
Indeed. I hope she can stay fully fit and really start to dominate. I know it's a lot in terms of the margins in performances but last nights points tally is only 210 behind the world record and I wonder if she can get closer (and hopefully break that)

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
The whole thing is just an example of what happens if you chase money and fancy light shows at the expense of what makes a championship great. You'd hope other sports are watching and would learn from this, but I doubt it. Fell really sorry for the athletes who have sacrificed so much to win in a soulless stadium with at times a handful of fans in there to appreciate their achievements.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
The whole thing is just an example of what happens if you chase money and fancy light shows at the expense of what makes a championship great. You'd hope other sports are watching and would learn from this, but I doubt it. Fell really sorry for the athletes who have sacrificed so much to win in a soulless stadium with at times a handful of fans in there to appreciate their achievements.

At the start I would agree however it has actually improved considerably,nowhere near good enough but better.

KJT was fantastic
Laura Muir tonight with silver the best she can hope for.
Hassan one of the greats.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
At the start I would agree however it has actually improved considerably,nowhere near good enough but better.

KJT was fantastic
Laura Muir tonight with silver the best she can hope for.
Hassan one of the greats.

Agree that KTJ and indeed a lot of the sporting action has been excellent. I suppose it has answered a question about what it must be like to see a top level sporting event played behind closed doors, now I know. And it's not good.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Such a pity that there were so very few in the stadium for KJT winning 800m and the title. Compare and Contrast with the thrill Ennis-Hill, Rutherford and Farrah - and all of us watching - experienced over 45minutes that glorious Saturday in 2012 - a 45mins that followed three golds on the water earlier in the day so was already feeling all a-buzz. I still get a tingle and actually well-up a little as I type and think of it. Better days.