World Athletics Champs

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Great effort by the team captain.

British and European level for some events is nowhere near world level
And once again im not talking about up and coming prospect im talking about people who have shown for years they are static or on there way down.

Rooney was European Champ last season and has suffered injuries and was unsure if he would make the Worlds because his wife was due to give birth - he has performed for his country in numerous Champs and won medals both at World and European level

Remove his and many other funding and the sport will suffer not improve

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have just had our most successful swimming champs for decades and recently were top of the medal table at the worlds ?! Suggest both teams are doing pretty well in recent years

There are loads of cyclists funded that don't win medals but are part of the team - same with both swimming and athletes

What you suggest wouldn't improve our chances would actually harm them by getting rid of lots of the funding for guys

Also is it based on UK or European or Olympics or World finals were the bar is set ?

UK Atheltics right now is in a good place after improved performances from increased lottery funding in recent years

Your right about Swimming its in a good place.

With Athletics just because more money is available theres no need to give it to also rans.

D

Deleted member 15344

Your right about Swimming its in a good place.

With Athletics just because more money is available theres no need to give it to also rans.

Athletics has had increased funding due to improved performances over world, European and Olympic Games in the last 6/7 years - they perform well and reach targets then they get funding

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rooney was European Champ last season and has suffered injuries and was unsure if he would make the Worlds because his wife was due to give birth - he has performed for his country in numerous Champs and won medals both at World and European level

Remove his and many other funding and the sport will suffer not improve

So are you saying because his wife was due to give birth?
Whats the relevance.

If he has had injuries and is not fit run someone who is.

D

Deleted member 15344

So are you saying because his wife was due to give birth?
Whats the relevance.

If he has had injuries and is not fit run someone who is.

Martyn Rooney is in the top 15 athletes in the World at his event - he is current European champion and will be a big part of the Relay team going for a medal

He has had disrupted preparation before the champs but still ran the appropriate qualifying time and also a PB in the event

So why should be have his funding removed ?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Athletics has had increased funding due to improved performances over world, European and Olympic Games in the last 6/7 years - they perform well and reach targets then they get funding

Im not naïve I have been watching athletics most of my life thanks and with all sports we have peaks and troughs and of course we have to fund athletes.

However a lot of it is the same old excuses.

D

Deleted member 15344

Im not naïve I have been watching athletics most of my life thanks and with all sports we have peaks and troughs and of course we have to fund athletes.

However a lot of it is the same old excuses.

We do have to fund them because if we didn't then we wouldn't have many athletes if any

Right now our athletes are doing well and have been since Bejiing

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Martyn Rooney is in the top 15 athletes in the World at his event - he is current European champion and will be a big part of the Relay team going for a medal

He has had disrupted preparation before the champs but still ran the appropriate qualifying time and also a PB in the event

So why should be have his funding removed ?

Did you answer my question about his wife due to give birth.

I don't know what Rooneys funding is and I suspect you don't either.

As I said hes on his way down when it comes to world level,being 15th best wont get you to a world or Olympic final as its not a single race.
Euro and British yes and Relay[lets see this one first].

D

Deleted member 15344

Did you answer my question about his wife due to give birth.

I don't know what Rooneys funding is and I suspect you don't either.

As I said hes on his way down when it comes to world level,being 15th best wont get you to a world or Olympic final as its not a single race.
Euro and British yes and Relay[lets see this one first].

His wife due to give birth was part of the disruption to his training and build up to World Championships - it was a last minute change for him and he made the qualifying time

If only funding goes to people who reach a world or Olympic final then the sport will just wither away for us - we will be back to mid to late 90's with no athletic medals or even hopes because most won't be able to compete or train year around - that's exactly what happened - people had funding removed

We won't have European or World or Olympic champions anymore

These guys already compete at the high level to make the semi finals - hundreds or thousands of atheletes attempt to get to each final including European finals - with Rooney beating some of the best in the world last year to be European champion

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Moving back - Shelley-Anne Fraser Pryce, perhaps the only woman I can forgive for going double barrellled, stop it people no good can come from this. What a runner. Fantastic. Imagine if she got together with Usain Bolt and they had kids. I don't think they would be running 10,000m races.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Moving back - Shelley-Anne Fraser Pryce, perhaps the only woman I can forgive for going double barrellled, stop it people no good can come from this. What a runner. Fantastic. Imagine if she got together with Usain Bolt and they had kids. I don't think they would be running 10,000m races.

Funny you should say that as when we watched the heptathlon 800m we were cracking up at the number of enormously long double barrelled surnames!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It drives me nuts. I really don't understand the drive towards this. Let's say Jessica Ennis Hill has a daughter who marries the son of Katarina Johnson Thompson. If they follow their parents example do they become Mr & Mrs Ennis Hill Johnson Thompson? Pity their kids who have to write their name in their school books. If that sound stupid then it is no more stupid than going double barrelled in the first place. A terrible fashion and I hope it ends soon. (grumpy old man moment over)

D

Deleted member 15344

Does seem very popular in Athletics

Can see why people do it

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Felt sorry for KJT. Big disappointment and hard to find any motivation for the remaining events. I think in the cold light of day with her coach she'll learn. It does look as though she may have technical issues in a few events but I'm not sure Daley Thompson would be my first choice as a mentor.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dai Greene on the panel this morning and what a refreshing change someone who is actually telling it as he sees it.

I hope the BBC use him full time when he retires.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Round of applause for Greg Rutherford who keeps delivering whilst others choke, his rivals that is. A full house of medals for him. Quite an achievement.