Ryder Cup 2021

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Brilliant from Lowry, and a great post round interview. It’s as though he’s been reading this thread with all its negativity and hindsight.

Springveldt

Visit site
Not a single birdie all day for Rory. He should not have featured today, that is dreadful.
Poulter with just 1 birdie as well. Never going to beat DJ and Morikawa scoring like that.
He didn’t make one either in the four ball yesterday but had that eagle. No birdies in 26 holes and hasn’t even managed to play the 16th this week in 3 games. Shocking.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Need to front load the singles, hope we can get some blue on the board early and the Americans bottle it.

McIlroy needs to leave the hat in the locker tomorrow.

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Need to front load the singles, hope we can get some blue on the board early and the Americans bottle it.

McIlroy needs to leave the hat in the locker tomorrow.

So that's the Spaniards taking the first 2 tees....then what?
Europe have struggled across most of the team - even when being "helped" by your partner.

Swango1980

Visit site
Not a single birdie all day for Rory. He should not have featured today, that is dreadful.
Poulter with just 1 birdie as well. Never going to beat DJ and Morikawa scoring like that.
In hindsight he shouldn't have played, but I'm pretty sure any captain would have put him out there, at least for the fourballs. Firstly, there are too many out of form Europeans to simply bench McIlroy. Secondly, out of those out of form.Europeans, McIlroy has the game to potentially provide a spark if he starts sinking birdies, so a risk worth taking.

For me, the big mistake was pairing him with Poulter. Their personalities are so different, McIlroy is low in confidence, Poulter is intense. Even during miracle at Meddinah, Rory was a gobsmacked passenger while Poults had the last few holes of his life.

Pairing Rory with an easy going guy like Fleetwood might have been better. I think they'd both be more comfortable playing with each other, feel more supported and less under pressure when a shot goes wrong. If I hit a bad shot playing with Poults, I could feel his eyes burning into back of my head.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
In hindsight he shouldn't have played, but I'm pretty sure any captain would have put him out there, at least for the fourballs. Firstly, there are too many out of form Europeans to simply bench McIlroy. Secondly, out of those out of form.Europeans, McIlroy has the game to potentially provide a spark if he starts sinking birdies, so a risk worth taking.

For me, the big mistake was pairing him with Poulter. Their personalities are so different, McIlroy is low in confidence, Poulter is intense. Even during miracle at Meddinah, Rory was a gobsmacked passenger while Poults had the last few holes of his life.

Pairing Rory with an easy going guy like Fleetwood might have been better. I think they'd both be more comfortable playing with each other, feel more supported and less under pressure when a shot goes wrong. If I hit a bad shot playing with Poults, I could feel his eyes burning into back of my head.
He was pretty poor when he played with Lowry too though, who comes across as a ridiculously supportive bloke.

He's just had a dreadful week. I am very surprised that he is going out first though... Our chances of a tie must be 5%, if that. The only possible way to get back into this is getting early points.

Somehow, I don't think McIlroy is the answer...

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Not sure why Rory is first out V Xander Soufflé,
Surely you need to start with someone who is in form and can kick start the momentum, rather than a busted flush,

I’d have him in match 10 or 11 coz it probably won’t matter by then

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
MATCH 1

11.04am
Xander Schauffele vs Rory McIlroy

MATCH 2

11.15am
Patrick Cantlay vs Shane Lowry

MATCH 3

11.26am
Scottie Scheffler vs Jon Rahm

MATCH 4

11.37am
Bryson DeChambeau vs Sergio Garcia

MATCH 5

11.48am
Collin Morikawa vs Viktor Hovland

MATCH 6

11.59am
Dustin Johnson vs Paul Casey

MATCH 7

12.10pm
Brooks Koepka vs Bernd Wiesberger

MATCH 8

12.21pm
Tony Finau vs Ian Poulter

MATCH 9

12.32pm
Justin Thomas vs Tyrrell Hatton

MATCH 10

12.43pm
Harris English vs Lee Westwood

MATCH 11

12.54pm
Jordan Spieth vs Tommy Fleetwood

MATCH 12

1.05pm
Daniel Berger vs Matt Fitzpatrick

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
MATCH 1

11.04am
Xander Schauffele vs Rory McIlroy

MATCH 2

11.15am
Patrick Cantlay vs Shane Lowry

MATCH 3

11.26am
Scottie Scheffler vs Jon Rahm

MATCH 4

11.37am
Bryson DeChambeau vs Sergio Garcia

MATCH 5

11.48am
Collin Morikawa vs Viktor Hovland

MATCH 6

11.59am
Dustin Johnson vs Paul Casey

MATCH 7

12.10pm
Brooks Koepka vs Bernd Wiesberger

MATCH 8

12.21pm
Tony Finau vs Ian Poulter

MATCH 9

12.32pm
Justin Thomas vs Tyrrell Hatton

MATCH 10

12.43pm
Harris English vs Lee Westwood

MATCH 11

12.54pm
Jordan Spieth vs Tommy Fleetwood

MATCH 12

1.05pm
Daniel Berger vs Matt Fitzpatrick
You had me flapping for a minute as our mini Ryder Cup comp won’t finish until 2ish this afty. These are obviously American times, we’re 6 hours behind.

Swango1980

Visit site
He was pretty poor when he played with Lowry too though, who comes across as a ridiculously supportive bloke.

He's just had a dreadful week. I am very surprised that he is going out first though... Our chances of a tie must be 5%, if that. The only possible way to get back into this is getting early points.

Somehow, I don't think McIlroy is the answer...
True , not saying he is guaranteed to find form with Fleetwood, just that I think it more likely than with Poults.

If someone like Westy or Casey played in fourballs instead of McIlroy, and continued their poor form and lost, no doubt many would be critical and say McIlroy should have been picked, as his ability and potential to light things up if things go his way are our best hope.