Random Irritations

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't know anything about hexclad pans.

Induction hobs are very easy to clean. Would never want to go back to gas.

Just remembered one thing about that AEG hob we had a few years back that was irritating. It objected to having things put down on it (like a tea tray, or a shopping bag). The only thing it was happy to have on it was actual cookware. At least the current Schott Ceran doesn't do that.
But surely that's a good thing as you don't want to scratch the glass. We have an AEG and always switch off at the wall anyway but still don't put anything on it.
My life wouldn't be worth living if the wife caught me putting anything on it other than cookware! 😡
We also have LeCruset pans which are very good, but quite expensive.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you have an existing white kitchen, then replacing a hob for a white one (if you cant get one) is fine, but if it's a new kitchen white if definately not the colour to have (again if you can get it|).
The trend for white appliances is long gone as far as cooking is concerned, and to put white cooking appliances now into a new kitchen would be madness. It's like wanting to buy a brand new PD injector engined diesel VW car.
Charcoal ( and even textured finish charcoal) is the new trend/fashion finish, most brands are going which is even going to see off stainless steel.
It may be madness to you but others will disagree.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, when I started Googling to try and find out about the Schott Ceran hob, it looked like that was the type of glass. But there is no other identifying name on the hob, so I guessed it was actually a Schott Ceran hob. If not, any idea why the hob manufacturer wouldn't put their name on it?

I think we may well consider changing the current hob. Any sites you can recommend with advice on how to choose?
Also, dont forget suitable ventilation for the hob as well.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suggest if you want an argument about the colour of kitchens, go elsewhere.
Geez Bob, it's not an arguement. I'm merely pointing out that the colour options from nearly all manufacturers now doesn't include white, and to try and go for white in a brand new kitchen isn't really an option, or wise in the long term.
BUt hey, you crack on, Im just trying to be helpful to someone.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely if you want white - you get white. Not sure why it would be madness? Unless they're less efficient or discolour then it's a matter of personal choice surely.

I've not got white in the kitchen but the "madness" term isn't really fair.

Move forwards 10 years and they'll be all the rage again.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely if you want white - you get white. Not sure why it would be madness? Unless they're less efficient or discolour then it's a matter of personal choice surely.

I've not got white in the kitchen but the "madness" term isn't really fair.

Move forwards 10 years and they'll be all the rage again.
Of course, everything is your choice and perhaps the term "madness" was the wrong term, White was the defacto colour, about 20 years ago, and whilst it will return some time in the future, the industry as a whole does seem to be working on a 20 year cycle when it come to colour direction now. White was the norm from the late 80's until the early Naughties, then stainless steel and now its a textured charcoal. Yes you can get other coulours, but the choice and options is very limited in those other colours.
We got onto this as someone was saying they were looking at a new kitchen. I see lots of people who have fitted kitchens who still have white appliances and they are having to effectively ruin the look of their kitchen now when having to replace (visible) appliances with something they don't like the look of as they don't blend in.
That is my point, nothing more:)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Of course, everything is your choice and perhaps the term "madness" was the wrong term, White was the defacto colour, about 20 years ago, and whilst it will return some time in the future, the industry as a whole does seem to be working on a 20 year cycle when it come to colour direction now. White was the norm from the late 80's until the early Naughties, then stainless steel and now its a textured charcoal. Yes you can get other coulours, but the choice and options is very limited in those other colours.
We got onto this as someone was saying they were looking at a new kitchen. I see lots of people who have fitted kitchens who still have white appliances and they are having to effectively ruin the look of their kitchen now when having to replace (visible) appliances with something they don't like the look of as they don't blend in.
That is my point, nothing more:)
And my point was there are white induction hobs available, not just black, if you want to be different.
And here's a pic of mine giving what I think is a nice contrast to the dark oak worktops.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
In the car this afternoon and had the second half of the Rangers v Celtic game on the radio. All very exciting but ruined by the shouty shouty commentator 😖.

In comparison, Pat Nevin as the pundit was the essence of calm professionalism.