Random Irritations

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
But surely that's a good thing as you don't want to scratch the glass. We have an AEG and always switch off at the wall anyway but still don't put anything on it.
My life wouldn't be worth living if the wife caught me putting anything on it other than cookware! 😡
We also have LeCruset pans which are very good, but quite expensive.
The layout of our kitchen is such that when I get breakfast in the morning it's most convenient to put a tray on the hob.
A wooden tray isn't going to scratch the glass. (I'd hazard a guess that a LeCruset pan is far more likely to do so).
So when we replace the hob, we certainly don't want one that complains if I put a tray on it!

If your existing hob is hard wired onto a 32/45A circuit, you are lots of choices. If it's on a 13A plug, the BSG group do them. The hole size of the worktop cutout is also a must consideration, especially if it's granite or stone. You need exact millimeter measurement's. The norm used to be 490 x560 w, but now its 490/500 x 560w. Unless you have one of the larger hobs, which then make theings slightly less straightforward.
It's on a 32A circuit, so we should have lots of choice. The existing cutout was difficult to measure, but as far as I could ascertain it's 460 x 560. It's not granite and could easily be made a bit bigger. The glass top itself is 520 x 590.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
T

It's on a 32A circuit, so we should have lots of choice. The existing cutout was difficult to measure, but as far as I could ascertain it's 460 x 560. It's not granite and could easily be made a bit bigger. The glass top itself is 520 x 590.
Do you mean 490 x 560? Thats more normal:)

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Spending 4 hours gardening at my eldest daughters with 4 trips to the recycling centre and mrs d moans as I did pour her a glass of Coke

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
The layout of our kitchen is such that when I get breakfast in the morning it's most convenient to put a tray on the hob.
A wooden tray isn't going to scratch the glass. (I'd hazard a guess that a LeCruset pan is far more likely to do so).
So when we replace the hob, we certainly don't want one that complains if I put a tray on it!

Fair enough but can't you just switch the hob off at the wall - no power - no noise. 👍

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Fair enough but can't you just switch the hob off at the wall - no power - no noise. 👍
In the previous house the hob's isolation switch was at the back of a cupboard, so it wasn't simple to switch it off. But in this house the switch is on the wall so it would be easy. But I just know I would forget and still be annoyed.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Cancer.

Following my diagnosis in Oct 2017, operated successfully on in Jan 2018, I’ve used and supported various cancer support groups but focussed mainly on colorectal cancer. In the last year or so I’ve provided some small measure of support to patients via some advocacy work and connecting them to various support groups.

Needless to say some outcomes aren’t always favourable, and the losses can bite deep. The hardest are the young ones, just starting out in life. A new wife, husband, children and maybe that dream job. We’d talk of our treatments and how we managed the occasional side effects. We’d talk of our successes, basically swapping war stories.

And sometimes we’d get to hear that it’s back and they were going back on chemo and or radiation, and maybe an op. And then, occasionally, that the treatment wasn’t working and all other options have been tried. They were being made comfortable with palliative care at home and hogging the TV with their PlayStation.

The messaging would start to tail off, and the selfies would look… not great. We log in every day and we’d message other advocates if someone was missing.

A young 36 year old man, himself one of the best patient advocates, died yesterday evening. He volunteered, worked at a level of advocacy that was stratospheric. He went to seminars and conferences, working with drug companies and clinicians yet never lost the focus of being there for those travelling through difficult times.

Sleep well buddy, you were the best…

Edit: there is a phrase that bounces around the cancer community. It would get me an infraction, but basically it’s two words, the second being cancer. A glass will be raised shortly and the toast will be “—- cancer.”

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Getting endless requests for reviews every time I buy something on line. Just had one to provide feedback on a mug I just bought - it's a mug, it holds liquid. Does that justify 5 stars or just 3 as it does what I expected it to?
Also, had a request to review a wallet that hasn't even arrived yet!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Getting endless requests for reviews every time I buy something on line. Just had one to provide feedback on a mug I just bought - it's a mug, it holds liquid. Does that justify 5 stars or just 3 as it does what I expected it to?

I had one for an order I had to cancel as they mucked me about and didn't send the item

I put that and they moaned about my review

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Can you tell us more about this mug pls. I feel like we're not getting the whole picture

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
People I work with who are still clueless even on the third or fourth time the exact same issue occurs. We've been here before! Why don't you remember??