Random Irritations

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
My own random irritation… just got stung by a wasp in my sauna! Was just turning it on and the little bugger had made a small nest on the ceiling, went straight for me and stung me on the shoulder! 🤬

Ouch!

Thanks for the reminder. I spotted the first of this year’s nests today. I need to get rid before it gets too big.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe now is a good idea to invest in an electric boiler with a solar install?

Been looking into it a lot as I want to ditch gas entirely

Electric boilers apparently are incredibly costly to run, unless your in like a flat so gas can't be beaten there

However if you can get a heat pump in they are incredibly efficient (heat geek Installation is apparently the best)

Only issue I've found with a heat pump is water needs to be tanked which I don't have space for, if you have space for it's a no brainer

I saw one of his YouTube videos that if you size your heat pump just right you don't even need to upgrade your pipes or anything silly

They can even get the efficiency to 450% (4.5 KW of heat for 1kw of electric) in solid wall houses

So tempted but it's that hot water tank holding me back for now

samthom99

Visit site
Maybe now is a good idea to invest in an electric boiler with a solar install?
My parents spent nearly ÂŁ27k last year doing exactly this and they are unhappy with the heating system. The water is really good but the heating doesnt get hot enough compared to the old gas boiler. They've had new all new radiators and pipwork installed too. We've had the installers back on numerous occassions and even had 2 independant firms to advise and they have all said the issue is there's not enough insulation in the house. The next step is external insulation but they cant guarantee it will be as good as the gas boiler we had.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I saw one of his YouTube videos that if you size your heat pump just right you don't even need to upgrade your pipes or anything silly
From what I've read it seems that the latest generation heat pumps that use R290 (propane) as the refrigerant can heat the water to similar temperatures that you get from a gas boiler, and so there's no need to update pipework or radiators. No idea how widely available such heat pumps are, though.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From what I've read it seems that the latest generation heat pumps that use R290 (propane) as the refrigerant can heat the water to similar temperatures that you get from a gas boiler, and so there's no need to update pipework or radiators. No idea how widely available such heat pumps are, though.

One thing for sure is I will 100% be using heat geek techs to install, they know their stuff

I've seen hybrid heat pumps with no grant, they basically do 90% of your heating and the gas tops up

Really lowers your usage

However for me it seems a bit silly even tho would save cash it's like I want to get induction and heat pump to remove the gas meter entirely

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
However for me it seems a bit silly even tho would save cash it's like I want to get induction and heat pump to remove the gas meter entirely
Be careful when getting an induction hob.
1. Not all hobs are created equal. We had an AEG in a previous house and it was great. Our current house has a Schott Ceran and it's somewhat unpredictable. It also fails to provide as much power to small pans as it does to large pans, which means that if you want to heat a small amount of stuff, you still need to use a large pan unless you're prepared to wait ages. Which is daft if you're just trying to boil a couple of eggs.
2. Not all induction ready pans are created equal, and price is no indicator of how well they work. The best pan we've got is a cheap "Go Cook" from Tesco. Our expensive Lakeland pans don't work as well.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1. Not all hobs are created equal. We had an AEG in a previous house and it was great. Our current house has a Schott Ceran and it's somewhat unpredictable. It also fails to provide as much power to small pans as it does to large pans, which means that if you want to heat a small amount of stuff, you still need to use a large pan unless you're prepared to wait ages. Which is daft if you're just trying to boil a couple of eggs.
2. Not all induction ready pans are created equal, and price is no indicator of how well they work. The best pan we've got is a cheap "Go Cook" from Tesco. Our expensive Lakeland pans don't work as well.

Cheers Clive, I will look into it in a few years when I get the kitchen done đź‘Ť

We have those hexclad pans and when we get the kitchen I'd get the full set for the pots aswell as my mate at work swears by them

The lack of gas and easy cleaning appeals to me tbh

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Cheers Clive, I will look into it in a few years when I get the kitchen done đź‘Ť

We have those hexclad pans and when we get the kitchen I'd get the full set for the pots aswell as my mate at work swears by them

The lack of gas and easy cleaning appeals to me tbh
Don't know anything about hexclad pans.

Induction hobs are very easy to clean. Would never want to go back to gas.

Just remembered one thing about that AEG hob we had a few years back that was irritating. It objected to having things put down on it (like a tea tray, or a shopping bag). The only thing it was happy to have on it was actual cookware. At least the current Schott Ceran doesn't do that.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Schott Ceran is just the glass manufacturer, not the hob. They make all hob ceramic glass ( everyone I have seen, which is lots, anyway)
Pans have different constructions, and do give differing performance levels. Some hobs have a menu/settings section whereby it will tell you the pan efficiency (you place the pan on the plate and it interogates the pan)
Like a ceramic hob, you also have different plate outputs depending on size. You also have "full juice " or plug and play induction hobs. Full juice is our term of hard wired, commonly around 7kw induction hobs, and plug and play are 13a on a plug. Both will cook, but obviously a 13a plug versions will not be as powerful.
We have a full juice induction hob, and my wife wouldnt have anything else now. It is so much quicker and cleaner than gas.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Just remembered one thing about that AEG hob we had a few years back that was irritating. It objected to having things put down on it (like a tea tray, or a shopping bag). The only thing it was happy to have on it was actual cookware. At least the current Schott Ceran doesn't do that.

We used to have one at work as we are electric only, but when the oven went we are now normal, which is awful. Yes it hated anything metal on! Annoying . Was aeg aswell if I remember

Hexclad are ridiculous expensive pans but lifetime warranty, metal utensils safe, dishwasher safe , oven safe so real helpful pans

Guy at work leaves one in his locker, even uses our rubbish metal utensils at work and it's in prime condition, non stick hasn't gone

https://hexclad.co.uk/products/13pc-hexclad-hybrid-cookware-set-w-lids?variant=40639854969003&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&nbt=nb:adwords:g:21028332957:157734994303:691320554872&nb_adtype=pla&nb_kwd=&nb_ti=pla-293946777986&nb_mi=643334362&nb_pc=online&nb_pi=shopify_GB_6948466163883_40639854969003&nb_ppi=293946777986&nb_placement=&nb_si={sourceid}&nb_li_ms=&nb_lp_ms=&nb_fii=&nb_ap=&nb_mt=&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiMmwBhDmARIsABeQ7xQxtEyvg80Ke0DMeshWWBkZ5bf8xBEwy4879SNCiLIoolZ7inNR8ggaAqVQEALw_wcB

I just replaced my frying pans with them but kept my pans as stainless steel which are fantastic still and dishwasher safe lol

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Thats mopst likely the on/off senser youre covering up. Most induction hobs react that way.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't necessarily get stuck with black.

I have white pans and a white induction hob which look and work great

xx.jpg

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't necessarily get stuck with black.

I have white pans and a white induction hob which look and work great

View attachment 52716
If you have an existing white kitchen, then replacing a hob for a white one (if you cant get one) is fine, but if it's a new kitchen white if definately not the colour to have (again if you can get it|).
The trend for white appliances is long gone as far as cooking is concerned, and to put white cooking appliances now into a new kitchen would be madness. It's like wanting to buy a brand new PD injector engined diesel VW car.
Charcoal ( and even textured finish charcoal) is the new trend/fashion finish, most brands are going which is even going to see off stainless steel.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Schott Ceran is just the glass manufacturer, not the hob. They make all hob ceramic glass ( everyone I have seen, which is lots, anyway)
Pans have different constructions, and do give differing performance levels. Some hobs have a menu/settings section whereby it will tell you the pan efficiency (you place the pan on the plate and it interogates the pan)
Like a ceramic hob, you also have different plate outputs depending on size. You also have "full juice " or plug and play induction hobs. Full juice is our term of hard wired, commonly around 7kw induction hobs, and plug and play are 13a on a plug. Both will cook, but obviously a 13a plug versions will not be as powerful.
We have a full juice induction hob, and my wife wouldnt have anything else now. It is so much quicker and cleaner than gas.
Yes, when I started Googling to try and find out about the Schott Ceran hob, it looked like that was the type of glass. But there is no other identifying name on the hob, so I guessed it was actually a Schott Ceran hob. If not, any idea why the hob manufacturer wouldn't put their name on it?

I think we may well consider changing the current hob. Any sites you can recommend with advice on how to choose?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, when I started Googling to try and find out about the Schott Ceran hob, it looked like that was the type of glass. But there is no other identifying name on the hob, so I guessed it was actually a Schott Ceran hob. If not, any idea why the hob manufacturer wouldn't put their name on it?

I think we may well consider changing the current hob. Any sites you can recommend with advice on how to choose?
The hob will have a rating plate on it's underside. Most induction hobs are just "dropped" in the hole as they normally have a seal attached to the glass. Some have springs clips on the side, but some dont. I knwo I never clamp one down as frameless glass doesn't take to kinkdly to pull forces I find.
If your existing hob is hard wired onto a 32/45A circuit, you are lots of choices. If it's on a 13A plug, the BSG group do them. The hole size of the worktop cutout is also a must consideration, especially if it's granite or stone. You need exact millimeter measurement's. The norm used to be 490 x560 w, but now its 490/500 x 560w. Unless you have one of the larger hobs, which then make theings slightly less straightforward.

We have a Siemens with flexcontrol. That gives you zones that can be merged if you want. Ours is a 600w hob (standard size) with 2 plates and 1 large flex zone thats divided into 4 segments. It gives a combination of 4 zones, or 3 which is the 2 round plates and 1 large full depth zone. Thats fantastic for the griddle plate (if you like to do meats that way) or a very large pan (if you have one, we dont)