Sky renewals

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Seems to come round quicker and whilst it could be on Random Irritations I do not think there is much that can be done other than accept.

Sky have the market sewn up and whilst there are alternatives they are probably the best.

They just hand out increases annually for fun. I find it annoying but little that can be done other than leave.

They are not for moving, or very little and is a cash cow.

Any thoughts?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tell them your leaving and be prepared to if you have to. Usually they make far better offers in your months notice period. And if not then, "please comeback" offers straight after you have left.

The alternatives are Virgin or BT TV I guess but not sure how they compare currently

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Tell them your leaving and be prepared to if you have to. Usually they make far better offers in your months notice period. And if not then, "please comeback" offers straight after you have left.

I keep reading this all over the internet, so, a few years ago I decided to give it a try, right sir, 30 days notice, starts today was the reply and never heard from them. I had to call them back up and take out the minimum package available as we were very limited on tv alternatives.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I keep reading this all over the internet, so, a few years ago I decided to give it a try, right sir, 30 days notice, starts today was the reply and never heard from them. I had to call them back up and take out the minimum package available as we were very limited on tv alternatives.

Ouch! done this every renewal for 10 years plus and always had emails and calls with offers

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've just agreed to another 18 months with them.

We have everything via them ("superfast" broadband, Sky Q multiroom, Sky Sports, Cinema etc.) for the first time, with their new 1 April pricing, it's gone over £100 per month (£105, I think it is).

I wasn't quite ready to switch to the internet based TV service from BT, but I'll consider it next time it comes round.

If you are negotiating a new deal with them though, seems to me like 35% is the discount that's readily available, anything more than that is excellent. I've always been around 35%.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've just agreed to another 18 months with them.

We have everything via them ("superfast" broadband, Sky Q multiroom, Sky Sports, Cinema etc.) for the first time, with their new 1 April pricing, it's gone over £100 per month (£105, I think it is).

I wasn't quite ready to switch to the internet based TV service from BT, but I'll consider it next time it comes round.

If you are negotiating a new deal with them though, seems to me like 35% is the discount that's readily available, anything more than that is excellent. I've always been around 35%.

does that include BT sport?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
does that include BT sport?

No. BT is cheaper I think, with skysports via NowTV, also throws in Netflix. Comes in at £105 for everything on their top package I think. I'm just not quite ready to shift to internet based TV.

Virgin isn't an option for us due to the amount of internal cabling that would be needed to get things where I wanted them.

Mandofred

Visit site
I'm too lazy to go Freeview and get an aerial and recording box etc.....I've been with Virgin for a number of years now. I'll be calling them up in the next few weeks to let them know I'm cancelling. I'll get hold of Sky, and head that way if they can't lower the price. I actually wouldn't mind going back to Sky for a while, I think they may have some stuff I'd rather watch. Virgin just has the faster internet........

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No. BT is cheaper I think, with skysports via NowTV, also throws in Netflix. Comes in at £105 for everything on their top package I think. I'm just not quite ready to shift to internet based TV.

Virgin isn't an option for us due to the amount of internal cabling that would be needed to get things where I wanted them.

Cheers, our renewal due soon and always interesting to know what deals others are getting. BT sport always seems to be the stumbling block. Have sky TV and BT internet and still always end up paying a ridiculous amount for BT sport (almost £30 a mth currently!)

Like you Virgin not an option here and would rather keep the tv off the broadband based on being rural and not having full fibre broadband

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers, our renewal due soon and always interesting to know what deals others are getting. BT sport always seems to be the stumbling block. Have sky TV and BT internet and still always end up paying a ridiculous amount for BT sport (almost £30 a mth currently!)

Like you Virgin not an option here and would rather keep the tv off the broadband based on being rural and not having full fibre broadband

I pushed them hard to try and get a better deal, but they wouldn't budge other than a couple of pounds from their first offer. Obviously made them waive their ridiculous admin fees!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I pushed them hard to try and get a better deal, but they wouldn't budge other than a couple of pounds from their first offer. Obviously made them waive their ridiculous admin fees!

You need to cancellations team to achieve that! The first team you speak to literally just offer current packages and no more.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You need to cancellations team to achieve that! The first team you speak to literally just offer current packages and no more.

Yes, I was in my notice period. By first offer, I mean 35% discount, managed to get a couple of quid more, but not the same 40% or even 50% discount that could have been had a few years back.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been a Sky VIP for 20 years and have just renewed mine with discounts again. The renewals team will only go so far regarding discounts - if you want to try for better discounts then you have to speak with the retentions team with a "view to leaving".

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been a Sky VIP for 20 years and have just renewed mine with discounts again. The renewals team will only go so far regarding discounts - if you want to try for better discounts then you have to speak with the retentions team with a "view to leaving".

What level of discount did you manage to get out of them?

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
What level of discount did you manage to get out of them?

This time I got 23.8% discount against their new contract. Last time I got over 30%. Took me all day to get this, plus I insisted they removed £40 of admin fees. Probably should say I could have got more if I'd gone down the leaving route further (as I did with the previous discount).

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sadly I think that the days of getting Sky half price at the slightest threat of leaving are disappearing. sky Cinema is now nearly pointless as other streaming channels get the biggest films first, the cost of sporting rights are going up and up and I guess now it is not just trying to get numbers, it is trying to get as much as possible out of each subscriber. Many of the unique selling points with Sky are now done by other people better or cheaper.

Nice to see some discounts are there but I am not sure that I have the time to spend the day fighting for them.