Sky renewals

BridgfordBlue

Visit site
https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussi...-your-sky-remote-scroll-down-1741671#comments

Always worth having a look at that thread to see what other people are getting.

Personally, I’ve never paid more than half price and I have all the channels, sky q and multiroom. I’ve always found the trick is to actually cancel, within a week I get an offer through my box or asking for me to contact them and it’s only then the really good deals happen.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
That is some result with Sky. Great effort, any tips?

Not really, I guess the main thing was that I was prepared to cancel even if I had to call back later, back track and accept the last deal that I was offered. I also found that even with the cancellation (rentention) guy followed the same pattern to the customer serve lot. He went off and found some deals that had only just been released and he could therefore do my package for £X however when I said I’d still be cancelling he went off and found another discount that he hadn’t noticed before and so could actually offer £Y. At this point it was at a level I was happy to go for so didn’t push it any further.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Interesting development, my contract expires in a month, just had an email giving me the same discounts I have had last year for the next 12 mths without having to recontract. Not checked it yet I assume as they are keeping the discounts it means the price rises will still apply but it makes it £25 a mth cheaper before discussions

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
So whatever package I order from Sky would have the Q system?

As long as you are not running on an old Sky Box and have the Sky Q box (which is standard now). It also has a few more features around being able to pause on 1 TV, continue watching on a tablet then pause it and continue on another TV. Basically all nultiroom boxes and all devices take data from the main box rather than thhe old Sky Multiroom etc where each box was independent and so something recorded on one was not available on another etc.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
So whatever package I order from Sky would have the Q system?

As Greg says, if you are starting from scratch then yes, you’d be supplied a Sky Q system. Advantages are that multi room doesn’t require multiple feeds from the dish (less cables) and that you have access to apps like Netflix, Amazon etc. you can also record more content at once than previous hardware.

Downsides, there’s numerous issues with certain Q boxes and certain TV makes (sound cutting out etc) and the big one is if the main box goes down, the whole lot goes down as it’s all connected (assuming you have multi room). Old hardwired boxes were all independent.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Every time I read about the merry dances and games of chicken you guys have with Sky over prices, it makes me really happy we don't bother with them. What an absolute farce! How on earth has that become the accepted norm??

Mandofred

Visit site
At the moment I am with Virgin, but if nothing else....I just want a change. My wife's daughter has tv through her dish (Satnet?) and has NOW but signed up to Virgin to get decent internet. My current setup has the main box in the living room with another wire out to the garage where I have a TV in front of the treadmill, and my main desktop computer upstairs. That's what I'm after with Sky.

-Need the TV in living room and garage.
-Internet not TOO slow. I have had some issues with Virgin at times and when it has dropped down to that 50mps range I really noticed the difference. Sky now offers speeds of 150mps and up? 150mps is more than fast enough for me if it actually happens. I checked this morning and it was around 100mbs....just checked and back up close to 250mbs.
-I don't need sports channels.
-We are currently signed up to Netflix, Prime, Disney and Paramount. I'll probably drop Paramount when renewal time comes around.
-Don't really need the movie packages......rarely anything on to make it worth it for us......and if we have the other subscription services, kind of makes movie channels redundant in my opinion.

Sky offers a £50 package of Sky, Netflix and Broadband (avg 145mbs)....and it would be a little more I would assume to add something in the garage. Sound about right?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Every time I read about the merry dances and games of chicken you guys have with Sky over prices, it makes me really happy we don't bother with them. What an absolute farce! How on earth has that become the accepted norm??

I don't have much choice - they have everything I want to watch!

Football, Golf, NFL, F1

Reactions: Val

Mandofred

Visit site
I agree.....we go through the cancelling routine every couple of years. But then again.....the same with car insurance etc.

Mandofred

Visit site
Jeez....I just want to strangle these tv/broadband folks. I was all set to switch to somebody else from Virgin.....called to do so a little while ago......to keep me on Virgin until the end of my contract in November they will waive the £21.50 they were going to raise our bill by. Being a lazy fella......it's the path of least resistance so I agreed to it. I figured they would do the usual and wait a few weeks and then call back with something..... Oh well, another 8 months with Virgin won't kill me.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I've not had a TV package in 10 years. We pay for Netflix, Amazon etc and that's it. On the TV it's just Freeview.
Yep. I’ll watch anything on Netflix or prime and found the family we’re just watching free to view channel so I bought a firestick and installed all the channel apps and unplugged the sky for a month. We now save £50 a month😂

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've not had a TV package in 10 years. We pay for Netflix, Amazon etc and that's it. On the TV it's just Freeview.
Do you not watch sport or do you have other means? Sport is the main way I keep my Sky on. Even though it’s a massive rip off. I have a firestick but I wouldn’t want to rely on it for something like the Masters.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you not watch sport or do you have other means? Sport is the main way I keep my Sky on. Even though it’s a massive rip off. I have a firestick but I wouldn’t want to rely on it for something like the Masters.
I nick my dad's NowTV but it I couldn't do that I'd just stop bothering with the football. For something like the Masters or Ryder Cup I have in the past taken up the NowTV deal where you buy Sky Sports for just one week or one month. That wasn't too much of a hit.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Having re contracted with SKY in January, was made redundant 2 weeks ago. Spoke to SKY today to see if I can cancel sport but they still want me to pay £60 to buy myself out…. So need to pay £60 to save £250. If I then want to watch a sports event, it’s £12 a day or £33 a month, so may as well stay in for now.