Random Irritations

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Is a 5 series three refreshes behind an 8 series? Rather like the mac operating system and stuff?
Not a clue to be honest. It’s idrive 7 in mine. It’s a few years old now so not the latest tech. It’s very simple though, which I like.

But I very rarely change any settings when I’m driving. I don’t listen to the radio and the air con is set to auto 20° most of the year.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I love the touchscreen on my Tiguan, but the heating controls are really badly designed.

There are buttons below the touchscreen to increase or reduce the temperature. They are small, in an awkward place, and one touch only reduces by 0.5 of a degree at a time, so you have to press it multiple times to get it to the desired temperature, which means looking away from the road for a significant bit of time. If you press one of the buttons for a fraction too long, it reduces the temperature to the absolute minimum or increases it to the absolute max. It really should have easy to access dials to control.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is a 5 series three refreshes behind an 8 series? Rather like the mac operating system and stuff?

No, the iDrive system is fairly homogenous amongst the models. The button layouts are slightly different based on the size of the dash/centre console.

I don’t change many settings like temp but I do adjust blower fan speed which I guess many do so IMO it should be easily accessible.

I do change audio source from Spotify to my phone’s bluetooth connection now and again and iDrive7 makes that simple.
iDrive8 makes it a crash hazard.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I love the touchscreen on my Tiguan, but the heating controls are really badly designed.

There are buttons below the touchscreen to increase or reduce the temperature. They are small, in an awkward place, and one touch only reduces by 0.5 of a degree at a time, so you have to press it multiple times to get it to the desired temperature, which means looking away from the road for a significant bit of time. If you press one of the buttons for a fraction too long, it reduces the temperature to the absolute minimum or increases it to the absolute max. It really should have easy to access dials to control.
It needs someone to come up with a new paradigm for changing the temperature.
Something like, say, a rotary dial that you can just grab and turn to whatever position you desire in one easy movement.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Drivers who don’t let ambulances and other emergency vehicles pass them 😡

I had an incident last year when I slowed down and stopped for an ambulance two vehicles behind me (when he had a caught up) and the vehicle behind me tried to overtake me just as the ambulance was about to go past both of us.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've had 4-5 cars with voice control. Only one, a Seat, actually worked. The rest were useless and never used again after the first week.

Regarding the mk8 Golf, I think I read that the next incarnation will go back to having some buttons again. The total touchscreen set up has been universally hammered.

In terms of what you might want to change whilst driving,

Heated seats on, then off
Close vents when going through a tunnel, Tyne tunnel up here
Rear demister on/off
Change radio stations
Change from radio to podcast (linked from phone)

These are top of the head things and really shouldn't need pulling over to do. Simple press of a button or turn and press a dial by the drivers left hand, minimal distraction, no more than checking your speed. Going through multiple touch screens, entirely different level.
Notwithstanding that if you are on a normal road, it is difficult to actually push the correct bit of the screen as your hand is moving due to the bumps on the road

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How often do you need to change the heating settings? Do you really need to change them via a touch screen while driving. I would have thought any modern car would have volume control on the steering wheel, along with the ability to change radio stations.

What is so critical that it needs changing while doing 120kph?
I went from a Peugeot 308 to a 2008 last year still hitting the wrong buttons on the steering wheel as it is different between the 2 cars.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Update no2
53 hrs after being told she can leave the hospital once her meds were given to her, I got hold of them for her.
The ward manager was seriously hacked off, and had she not gone home when she did, that would have been a much needed bed blocked for 2 days.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went from a Peugeot 308 to a 2008 last year still hitting the wrong buttons on the steering wheel as it is different between the 2 cars.

Don't.. the Kia and the Kona decided to swap the sides of the steering wheel for the buttons

(Kia is right for volume etc and left for cruise, Kona is the other way)

Swapping between cars once a week does cause a "for goodness sake" moment

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going on about car buttons

The position of the voice activation on the Peugeot 2008 steering wheel.
Often turning it on just because I am steering.
It is also where the volume up down knob used to be on the 308.

NearHull

Visit site
Car touch screens. How would you get on in this?
1714672100884.jpeg

Whilst travelling at Mach .9 or more

( a crude attempt to close a boring discussion)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I get irritated when people post up a name of someone they're irritated by without any reasoning..
I've then got to waste valuable time finding out why they're irritated, realising that I too am irritated which increases my irritation to being more than a mite miffed......
I couldn't go into details as it could be viewed as political